I'm planning to switch from a BlackBerry on VZW to an iPhone on AT&T. Even though I've really enjoyed my time as a Crackberry addict, I know I'll be pleased with the hardware. I am concerned, though, that I'll be unhappy with the service. I know that AT&T has a 30 day return policy, but am wondering what my options are after that.

I know I'd be out $200 for the iPhone (3GS 16gb) plus $175 ETF. However, it seems like I'd be able to recoup some of that by selling the hardware.

Here's what I'm wondering:
    • If I sell the hardware, would the new owner have any trouble activating it with AT&T, either on an existing account or a new one?
    • Would AT&T require the new owner to be on a contract, even though he/she would own the hardware outright?
    • Has anyone used a trade-in website (like GreenPhone) and found them to be legit?
    • If I cancel my account with AT&T, do they have any sort of blacklist that would prevent me from using them again in the future?
    • Finally, I have a Best Buy gift card I'm trying to get rid of... if I made my purchase there, would I further complicate a cancellation (e.g. do they charge an additional termination fee)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
    02-03-10 09:19 AM
    I wouldn't worry about the new owner. Unlock the phone for multiple carriers and sell it on Craigslist. The new owner assumes the responsibility of knowing whether or not the phone will work with whatever network they have.

I bought a Storm for $150 from Verizon and sold it for $275 on Craigslist. That gave me enough money to pay for my ETF of $105, with a bit to spare for my switch to the iPhone.

"If I cancel my account with AT&T, do they have any sort of blacklist that would prevent me from using them again in the future? "

Obviously no. ATT is not in the business of blacklisting its former customers unless they do something illegal. ATT wants your business, remember?

"Finally, I have a Best Buy gift card I'm trying to get rid of... if I made my purchase there, would I further complicate a cancellation (e.g. do they charge an additional termination fee)?"

I would stay away from Best Buy mobile and conduct all your transactions over the phone or at an ATT store. Save the gift card for something else, like accessories.

As for the service, it is highly dependent on where you are located.
    02-03-10 09:54 AM
    Or you can go get your iPhone at an Apple store.. was the fastest and easiest phone I'd ever bought, do it all on Apple's site... plan, options, credit check.. reserve one for pickup within 3 days... go in pick it up, pay, activate and out the door in 10 mins.. maybe 12.. and this was a week before xmas when i did mine..

Hope this helps
    02-04-10 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD