Hello my CrackBerry brethren.

Today has been an eventful day. To sum it all up, my father wanted an iPad and a local Walmart was the only place that had a 64GB wifi only version available. I went and picked it up for my father and took it back to him. We open the box and shockingly there's a dent (more like a chip missing) on the top left corner, a lightly scratched screen protector already installed, and a bulge on the aluminum back that we think occurred when whoever previously had the device dropped it and chipped the corner. The charge/sync port on the bottom also has internal scraping from previous use.

So, here's my question:

If this happened to you, would you take it back? Would you just file a complaint and keep it as is? Would you just be pissed and refuse to deal with Walmart ever again?

I am honestly at a loss here and don't know what I want to do about the situation. Part of me wants to just keep it and the other part wants to blow up. I never thought I'd come across this situation, especially with an iDevice.

For the record, the iPad isn't set up yet as I haven't connected it to iTunes so I have no idea whether the damage is more than what is visible on the surface.
    01-03-11 04:44 PM
    I'd take it back and demand a refund, order online from a reputable electronics store. I'd never keep a used device that I paid full price for even if I did write a complaint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 05:44 PM
    Take it back.
    01-03-11 07:45 PM
    I would take it back. It's not like you got it on clearance. You paid top dollar and expected a new item.
    01-03-11 07:45 PM
    Take it back for a full refund.

Unless you feel that you and dad deserve a dented,chipped, damaged device. In that case enjoy it and let it slide ....
    01-03-11 07:56 PM
    I'd probably ask the purchaser why they did not check the packaging before dropping the dollars on it? Ask em why they did not notice the safety seal broken. Hope they have a good response.
    01-03-11 08:15 PM
    I'd probably ask the purchaser why they did not check the packaging before dropping the dollars on it? Ask em why they did not notice the safety seal broken. Hope they have a good response.
    Since I am the purchaser, here is your response. Whether you believe it or not, I've never bought an iDevice before so other than the box I don't know what the packaging should be like. Also, I didn't get to even hold the box because the woman who got it out of the security enclosure never let it go until I paid and she handed it to me (I assume they are instructed not to let it go, considering the cost of the device). I also, having never bought a device like this before from Walmart, have no idea what kind of saftey seal this thing was supposed to come in. It did, however, come in a plastic wrapping similar to shrink wrap but not as tight. Since it was the last one, there was no way to to compare it to any others for differences in the wrapping.

Whether that qualifies as a good or even believable response I have no idea. But that is the truth. However, I do see the reason to be skeptical; this type of thing surely must be a rare occurrence. I know I've never heard of such a situation before.

To all others, I have returned the device and sent in a stern yet controlled complaint to Walmart headquarters via an online complaint form as that is what I was directed to do by the in store customer service. I doubt I'll ever hear a response to my complaint but hopefully this helps keep others from having to go through this situation.

01-04-11 12:59 AM
    My response to this would be very simple.
    Shut your mouth and get me someone more intelligent to communicate with.

01-04-11 09:21 AM
    Unreal, take it back! I don't think you bought this ipad as an "as is" item right? you meant to buy a brand new device.
    01-04-11 09:48 AM
    Unreal, take it back! I don't think you bought this ipad as an "as is" item right? you meant to buy a brand new device.
    True, but the device wasn't mine and my dad is one of those people who doesnt care how something looks as long as it works so I left the choice to him, along with some heavy hinting. I think showing him the responses from this thread is what pushed him towards wanting to return it.

01-04-11 10:44 AM
    I'd take it back. If it has a dent and a chip on the case then there is a chance the internals could be damaged. I would return and order direct from Apple if there aren't any other sellers in the area.
    01-04-11 11:00 AM
    True, but the device wasn't mine and my dad is one of those people who doesnt care how something looks as long as it works so I left the choice to him, along with some heavy hinting. I think showing him the responses from this thread is what pushed him towards wanting to return it.

I would argue that this physical damage may lead to the device not working in the very near future.
    01-04-11 11:53 AM
    Definitely take it back. I wouldn't even buy a monitor cable from a Walmart on the day after Christmas because every single one of them was opened and/or returned and NONE of them had an open item tag or anything on them meaning they still wanted $30 for them.

I have no issue whatsoever with buying open item stuff, but having worked for Best Buy, we at least marked the price down even if we were able to make the package look brand new (which we could because we had a shrink wrapping machine). I've never really liked shopping at Walmart anyway, but this particular incident especially got on my nerves. I went a couple of doors down and spent about $5 more on a monitor cable from Radio Shack, but at least I knew that it was brand new.
    01-04-11 12:40 PM
    Take it back ASAP.

If you wait too long, they may assume that you did the damage and now want a fresh ipad to replace it.

A consumer would return the defective item as soon as they noticed the damage. Walmart knows this, so the more time you let pass, the more suspicious they will be when you go in.

Unacceptable, bring it in. I bet you it was a Walmart employee that got his friend to do the return after he f'ed it up. I mean, how else could this happen? They must inspect these things when they are returned?
    01-04-11 03:01 PM
    Take it back ASAP.

If you wait too long, they may assume that you did the damage and now want a fresh ipad to replace it.

A consumer would return the defective item as soon as they noticed the damage. Walmart knows this, so the more time you let pass, the more suspicious they will be when you go in.

Unacceptable, bring it in. I bet you it was a Walmart employee that got his friend to do the return after he f'ed it up. I mean, how else could this happen? They must inspect these things when they are returned?
    I've returned lots of things to Wal-Mart. Never once have they ever looked in the box. They ask what was wrong with it, I tell them, they issue the refund and throw the item in either a shopping cart or a Rubbermaid container. When I say throw, I mean literally throw. When I was a teenager, there was a huge scam in my high school where people would go buy a new stereo for their car, install it, put the old one back in the box, and return it. Very lax, and this experience at WalMart does not surprise me at all.

When I was at Best Buy on black Friday, they were selling everything, including floor models of discontinued items. You could bargain down the price of anything open. Never pay full price for something used. If you do, you've lost money as soon as you make the purchase.

01-04-11 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD