I have a new iPhone 3GS and a question. Whenever I use a streaming app such as iheart radio or emergency radio, the stream seams to stop after about 20 or 30 minutes. I'm streaming on wifi, so it's not a cellular signal issue.

I have played with the settings, but it appears that after the 20 or 30 minute time period, something inside of this amazing device turns off.

Is there a power save feature or something that turns off the wifi after a set amount of time?

Thanks
    08-04-09 12:40 PM
    There is a setting on the main phone Settings screen for the Emergency Radio app that says "Allow Device Auto-Off." Maybe try changing that from "On" to "Off" and see if it allows you to stream indefinitely?
    08-04-09 02:08 PM
    There is a setting on the main phone Settings screen for the Emergency Radio app that says "Allow Device Auto-Off." Maybe try changing that from "On" to "Off" and see if it allows you to stream indefinitely?

I tried that......both ways. Allowing the device to auto off will get me about 10 minutes or so of streaming. With it switched to off, I get about 20 to 30 minutes.

Something else must be shutting down to save battery. If I stream and leave everything alone, 30 minutes max???
    08-04-09 02:15 PM
    I use Pandora all the time and I don't have this problem. Sometimes the streaming lags but it usually starts back up after a minute or two. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the apps.

On the desktop version of Pandora, the system might log you out after a period of 'inactivity' but I'm pretty sure the iPhone app does not have this feature.

On my Storm, I would go to sleep with Pandora on and then I would wake up and the app would be shut down. I always thought it was just the app crashing as usual, but maybe there is a related feature somewhere
    08-04-09 02:49 PM
    Apparently the wifi shuts down after a period in inactivity to save battery power. I read that blackberry's with wifi also does this. Is there any way to change the wifi settings to not power down? My other option is to to get a dock and try leaving it plugged in all night while streaming.
    08-12-09 10:13 AM
    Once you iPhone locks itself (shuts off screen), WiFi will turn off after a certain amount of time. Just turn wifi on and turn your screen off and wait 10 min and wifi should be off. It will auto reconnect when you turn the screen back on though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 11:28 AM
    I guess the solution then is to turn off Wifi and just use the streaming apps using 3G if you plan to listen with long periods of inactivity.
    08-12-09 12:54 PM
    I guess the solution then is to turn off Wifi and just use the streaming apps using 3G if you plan to listen with long periods of inactivity.
    I think i'm just going to get a dock. Apparently the wifi doesn't go to sleep when the power is connected. There's no 3G love anywhere near me.
    08-13-09 11:04 AM
    If you happen to be using pandora, thats gotta get a thumbs up or down rating for a song every hour or else it'll stop on its own.
    And the wifi works great for me, in fact after listening to it on 3g driving home (Ford Sync system) there is only a 5 sec pause when I pull into my garage to get hooked into the wifi.
    08-14-09 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD