Resignation letter has been published

BREAKING: Steve Jobs resigns as Apple's CEO - latimes.com

I hope Mr Jobs has decided to enjoy retirement and isn't doing this because of new bad news about his health.
    Last edited by Slalom; 08-24-11 at 05:59 PM.
    08-24-11 05:49 PM
    you beat me to it.

Steve Jobs Resignation Letter:

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple�s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple�s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 08-24-11 at 06:01 PM. Reason: letter added
    08-24-11 05:50 PM
    Wowzer.... can't say its a big shock but untimely. With the new iOS devices around the corner its gonna be interesting.
    Regardless of my thoughts of Apple and their product, I wish him the best. The man is a pioneer in many aspects and a helluva businessman.
    stubbornswiss likes this.
    08-24-11 05:57 PM
    I'm not a fan of Apple but I think that sucks. He is obviously a pretty brilliant guy and I hate to see anyone fall ill. I hope he gets better and that their product doesn't suffer due to his resignation. They do have some great products even though they aren't what I'm looking for.
    08-24-11 05:58 PM
    It's not a game changer yet. He is still going to be there in some capacity, acting as the visionary. He just won't be running things day to day.
    08-24-11 06:02 PM
    It does sadden me to see someone who has wonderful ideas have to retire. I assume its sadly health related as i cant see him ever giving up the company he has led into an empire as it is
    08-24-11 06:03 PM
    Wow...I was just having a converstaion with a co-worker the other week about Steve Jobs and how he hasn't been looking too good.

I would expect the iPhone5 to be good but who knows for future devices iPhone6....and beyond. Watch the stock price take a dive. Maybe a good time to short the stock Thursday.
    Last edited by Nickerz_BB; 08-24-11 at 06:11 PM.
    08-24-11 06:04 PM
    i wish him the best of luck with his health. from here then on, let's see how apple does w/o SJ.
    08-24-11 06:10 PM
    cue the RIM comeback
    08-24-11 06:12 PM
    Wow...I was just having a converstaion with a co-worker the other week about Steve Jobs and how he hasn't been looking too good.

I would expect the iPhone5 to be good but who knows for future devices iPhone6....and beyond. Watch the stock price take a dive. Maybe a good time to short the stock Thursday.

PS He has more cash reserves than the Federal Govt. but I bet he'd give that all up to have a clean bill of health again.
    Everyone knew this was coming. I am sure Apple has been prepared and I don't think it will overly effect the company. I don't think much will change, stock price or day to day operation. Just my 2 cents!
    Last edited by jebulls; 08-24-11 at 06:26 PM.
    08-24-11 06:13 PM
    AAPL is down 5% after hours. Buying opportunity is approaching prior to iPhone 5 launch in late Sept.

Everyone knew this was coming. I am sure Apple has been prepared and I don't think it will overly effect the company. I don't think much with change stock price or day to day operation. Just my 2 cents!
    08-24-11 06:15 PM
    I am sorry to hear about his health condition, but without him, Apple is finished. He is the founder and major think tank behind much of the products and operations in Apple. Remember, Apple, at one time, was without him at the helm and it was quickly falling to pieces. He came back in and saved the company from ruins.
    08-24-11 06:22 PM
    cue the RIM comeback
    Really? That's your reaction and comment on a man who has lived with pancreatic cancer for 7 YEARS having to step down? I see you have Rogers, you do realize that this sadly likely means Jack Layton, part 2, right?

What a callous comment.
    kevinnugent, dalton4L and bayotte like this.
    08-24-11 06:23 PM
    I don't get why so many people seem surprised with this. He has been battling cancer for awhile and beat it, but has other issues going on. I am pretty sure Apple knew this was coming. I believe they will still have their faithfully remain loyal to Apple.

Its not like he is completely stepping out of the company he started up as he is still going to be a chairman.

Interesting times ahead, but believe Apple will remain where they are.

As muchas I cant stan their products as they did nothing for me, it did wonders for many. Dude was a brilliant genius.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 06:25 PM
    Regardless of what your device preference is, I think it is true to say that Steve Jobs is one of those exceptionally brilliant people that come around only once in a while.

We know he has had health issues, and it can only be assumed that his resignation is related to this.

I wish him the best, and a speedy recovery.
    08-24-11 06:26 PM
    I hope it's not what I think, but considering Canada just lost a brilliant leader in less than a month to a secondary cancer after he 'beat' prostate cancer, I have a really, really bad feeling about this. I wish him well.

I freaking hate cancer.
    08-24-11 06:28 PM
    I am not an Apple fanboy but Apple with Jobs has built one he11 of a fortified fortress with a walled garden. Leo Apotheker, CEO of HP, said last Friday, post-PC era is real. Apple is in the driver seat in music distribution, apps, phones, and tablets. Right now, no one can compete with their ecosystem.

There only three companies that can probably do it in a few years: Google, Microsoft, and Amazon.

Until these companies build a better fortress, Apple is here to stay.

I am sorry to hear about his health condition, but without him, Apple is finished. He is the founder and major think tank behind much of the products and operations in Apple. Remember, Apple, at one time, was without him at the helm and it was quickly falling to pieces. He came back in and saved the company from ruins.
    08-24-11 06:33 PM
    I hope Jobs takes full advantage of his emptied schedule and focuses on his health. Since he's still going to be involved with Apple I don't know why people would start panicking. Then again it is Apple, and once the fruit starts rollin' the "distortion field" never let's it stop.
    08-24-11 06:34 PM
    I don't think anyone can doubt his influence in the electronic world.

The Mac (Good ol' Lisa). The iMac. The Cube. iPod. iPhone. iPad.

Love it or hate it, all these things pushed the industry forward.

GUI interfaces became the norm. You should want a stylish computer and not a beige box. You can make mini-form factors. Digital media purchasing over the internet. A smartphone for the masses that didn't need a stylus. A smartphone in a tablet instead of a computer in a tablet. They're all revolutionary in the sense that where Apple might not have ever invented any of these items (GUI, Computer, Music Player, Smartphone, Tablet computer), they created a device that changed the market and became the benchmark that other companies aspire to and compare their products.

He turned a company around the late 90's to one that was at one point the most valuable company in the world. That's impressive no matter how you look at it.

I do hope that Apple has continued success without Steve driving the ship (but acting instead as just a leading crew member), and I do hope Steve Jobs maintains good health and continues innovating behind the scenes for the company.
    08-24-11 06:35 PM
    I hope it's not what I think, but considering Canada just lost a brilliant leader in less than a month to a secondary cancer after he 'beat' prostate cancer, I have a really, really bad feeling about this. I wish him well.

I freaking hate cancer.
    This.

I hope its not health related, but fear it may be. Whatever you feel about Apple, the man has changed the world.

I remember getting a Macintosh Classic to use at University - it got me hooked in (was a politics and law student), I took an IT Masters, and wound up as a computing teacher.
    08-24-11 06:38 PM
    AAPL is down 5% after hours. Buying opportunity is approaching prior to iPhone 5 launch in late Sept.
    Yeah sorry, I meant long term.
    08-24-11 06:38 PM
    Wonder how far apple stock will go down...

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    08-24-11 06:44 PM
    I started a thread on this an hour ago without realizing this was already a thread. Sorry about that. Anyway, I do wish Jobs the best. I believe he changed the world of computing and mobile technology. The iPod revolutionized music.
    08-24-11 07:06 PM
    I am not an Apple fanboy but Apple with Jobs has built one he11 of a fortified fortress with a walled garden. Leo Apotheker, CEO of HP, said last Friday, post-PC era is real. Apple is in the driver seat in music distribution, apps, phones, and tablets. Right now, no one can compete with their ecosystem.

There only three companies that can probably do it in a few years: Google, Microsoft, and Amazon.

Until these companies build a better fortress, Apple is here to stay.
    Without Steve Job's leadership, the company is as good as dead. In the short term, Apple will be okay, but on the longer term, especially when major problems and markets change, I don't see much of a future for Apple. As I mentioned before, Apple was at the brink of collapse prior to kicking out Steve Jobs. Who brought it back from the dead? That's right, Steve Jobs.

Again, I do wish him well with his health. But if he's gone, Apple's gone.
    CousinIT likes this.
    08-24-11 07:07 PM
    Without Steve Job's leadership, the company is as good as dead. In the short term, Apple will be okay, but on the longer term, especially when major problems and markets change, I don't see much of a future for Apple. As I mentioned before, Apple was at the brink of collapse prior to kicking out Steve Jobs. Who brought it back from the dead? That's right, Steve Jobs.

Again, I do wish him well with his health. But if he's gone, Apple's gone.
    Uhm, you do realize that Steve Jobs has been on medical leave several times and Tim Cook was acting CEO during those periods? Apple didn't die. In fact they did pretty well.
    08-24-11 07:12 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD