"Apple really needs to step up and explain what these services are doing," Zdziarski told Ars by phone on Monday. "I can't come up with a better word than 'backdoor' to describe file relay, but I'm willing to listen to whatever other explanation Apple has. At the end of the day, though, there's a lot of insecure stuff running on the phone giving up a lot of data that should never be given up. Apple really needs to fix that."

Undocumented iOS functions allow monitoring of personal data, expert says | Ars Technica

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 07-22-14 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Edit out junk characters.
    acovey, johnm137 and lift like this.
    07-21-14 12:18 PM
    Not sure why the copy-paste looks so crappy with all these html tags

Posted via CB10
    zephyr613 likes this.
    07-21-14 12:19 PM
    07-21-14 12:47 PM
    Not sure why the copy-paste looks so crappy with all these html tags

Posted via CB10
    It's because the text contains certain symbols. CB10 converts the entire post into HTML5 - CODE.
    07-21-14 01:37 PM
    If you think your phone is NSA-proof, then you are wrong.
    07-21-14 01:52 PM
    If this happened to a BlackBerry, CrackBerry would have run this news front page.. the difference is no Apple site will cover this news for the safety of their own users..

I commend CrackBerry for putting us first before business..
    lift, booker1953, moyah8 and 4 others like this.
    07-21-14 01:56 PM
    If this happened to a BlackBerry, CrackBerry would have run this news front page.. the difference is no Apple site will cover this news for the safety of their own users..

I commend CrackBerry for putting us first before business..
    Do you really think that your BB device is BlackBerry or government proof? Lol...

Just little example:
    Tried to solve one issue the other day on Twitter with @BlackBerryHelp. They asked for device PIN and after day they sent me back list of all my installed apps (even Android versions from Snap). I have disabled data collection in diagnostics.

Posted via CB10
    m1zantr0p likes this.
    07-21-14 02:00 PM
    I'm interested in the links you have to prove the statement. Would love to see.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    lift, moyah8 and rarsen like this.
    07-21-14 02:05 PM
    Do you really think that your BB device is BlackBerry or government proof? Lol...

Just little example:
    Tried to solve one issue the other day on Twitter with @BlackBerryHelp. They asked for device PIN and after day they sent me back list of all my installed apps (even Android versions from Snap). I have disabled data collection in diagnostics.

Posted via CB10
    Probably cause you have them your pin?

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and Jonesy1966 like this.
    07-21-14 02:06 PM
    Probably cause you have them your pin?

Posted via CB10
    I have no illusions that BlackBerry doesn't have pair PINs with email, names, other collected info and that they do not have access to any device.

They can browse and give your files same way as Apple do.

Assumption that BlackBerry is secured from government (any maybe other agencies and maybe well-paying customers) would be pretty idi*tic.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 02:11 PM

Just little example:

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha. I hope you were not being serious.

Every time you install/uninstall an app, your BlackBerry ID profile is updated to reflect that change. BlackBerry World needs to know what apps you are running so that it can push updates to your phone.
    Apps installed through Snap are treated as any other app. This is not because they have some evil plan to let everyone know you downloaded some crappy Android app. It's purely for consistency and future integration with 3rd party app stores (Amazon).

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 02:13 PM
    I'm interested in the links you have to prove the statement. Would love to see.

The point at which you put an activated sim card in your phone, you lose your privacy. that's how you can put it.
    your phone calls are recorded, no matter which platform you have. your position can be tracked. your cloud data ( dropbox, google drive, etc) isn't really private. you have apps like facebook in your phone, which are basically used as data miners (your location, microphone, etc).

if you are really inclined towards breaking the prism, the visit https://prism-break.org/en/

Seriously, what makes you think NSA/Government will let a company release top-security devices to the public just like that?
    bbq10l likes this.
    07-21-14 02:18 PM
    The point at which you put an activated sim card in your phone, you lose your privacy. that's how you can put it.
    your phone calls are recorded, no matter which platform you have. your position can be tracked. your cloud data ( dropbox, google drive, etc) isn't really private. you have apps like facebook in your phone, which are basically used as data miners (your location, microphone, etc).

if you are really inclined towards breaking the prism, the visit https://prism-break.org/en/

Seriously, what makes you think NSA/Government will let a company release top-security devices to the public just like that?
    Enjoyed your link. Thanks.

07-21-14 02:30 PM
    Why doesn't the link above mention BlackBerry?

Monster Z30 | Connect 2BA7BC8C | follow @anubhavnagpal | join BBM India Hangout at C0001C740
    07-21-14 02:49 PM
    Two possible reasons: BB market share is so small its not worth a mention or BB is so secure that there is no issue. You pick your choice.

moyah8 and m1zantr0p like this.
    07-21-14 02:53 PM
    And the corporate world is moving more and more to iPhones in place of BlackBerry? What a joke. Well, I never used an Apple product and this just makes me feel better about that decision. Now I will sit back and wait for the first tool to say "so what, if you aren't doing anything wrong what is the big deal".
    07-21-14 02:56 PM
    I have no illusions that BlackBerry doesn't have pair PINs with email, names, other collected info and that they do not have access to any device.

They can browse and give your files same way as Apple do.

Assumption that BlackBerry is secured from government (any maybe other agencies and maybe well-paying customers) would be pretty idi*tic.

Posted via CB10
    You are a funny person. I would take my chances with a BlackBerry device over any other one out there any day of the week when it comes to privacy and security.
    moyah8 and guygardner73 like this.
    07-21-14 02:58 PM
    Proof? BlackBerry is a Canadian company, not an American company. So how do you know whether they bent-over for the NSA or not.
    07-21-14 03:02 PM
    Why doesn't The Globe and Mail run these negative stories about iPhone and Android, yet they are quick to bash anything in regards to BlackBerry.

Why is our best known Canadian Newspaper so Anti-Canadian when it comes to the cell phone marketplace? Is someone on the inside shorting the stock?

How about a good news story? It would be about darn time.

Google is the New Big Brother, use with caution.
    lift, acovey, moyah8 and 4 others like this.
    07-21-14 03:04 PM
    Why doesn't The Globe and Mail run these negative stories about iPhone and Android, yet they are quick to bash anything in regards to BlackBerry.

Why is our best known Canadian Newspaper so Anti-Canadian when it comes to the cell phone marketplace? Is someone on the inside shorting the stock?

How about a good news story? It would be about darn time.

Google is the New Big Brother, use with caution.
    I like your signature.
    07-21-14 03:07 PM
    Well, I have no illusion that any phone is "hack proof." Anything connected to the internet can be hacked, no exceptions. The difference here is if BB intentionally installed backdoors to "allow" the NSA to monitor everything like this article is suggesting Apple is doing and that we already know Android has done. I just think for principle reasons, if BB isn't intentionally leaving doors open and forcing the NSA to actually "hack" our devices, even if it's no less secure I would want to support the company that isn't just handing the NSA a signed blank warrant...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    lift likes this.
    07-21-14 03:10 PM
    Why doesn't the link above mention BlackBerry?

Monster Z30 | Connect 2BA7BC8C | follow @anubhavnagpal | join BBM India Hangout at C0001C740
    Two possible reasons: BB market share is so small its not worth a mention or BB is so secure that there is no issue. You pick your choice.

under the android section, it is.
    what blackberry provides you additionally over others is some special 'encryption', that too, only with BES.
    otherwise it's just another OS with some usual and a few fancy features.
    main point which blackberry tries to make is their 'security'. That security is against hackers/crackers, and not govt. surveillance(don't know about BES).
    Most of the Blackberry users in here,(i assume) also use various internet services and OS platforms from Microsoft and Google. Hence, you are already a part of the botnet.
    Your cellphone alone cannot ensure the security. Your service providers, transfer media, etc. plays even bigger roles.

Even during wars, intercepting communication signals seems more reasonable than intercepting the devices(especially mobile ones)-my point of view.
    Attached Thumbnails So you thought iPhones were secure?-capture.png  
    07-21-14 03:13 PM
    You are a funny person. I would take my chances with a BlackBerry device over any other one out there any day of the week when it comes to privacy and security.
    Your problem...

When comes to discussion about BlackBerry, BB10 bugs and missing features, other platform's issues etc., "Security" is last line of defense of BlackBerry hardcore fan (read sheep), lol.

Posted via CB10
    charge71, bbq10l and m1zantr0p like this.
    07-21-14 03:17 PM
    Well, I have no illusion that any phone is "hack proof." Anything connected to the internet can be hacked, no exceptions. The difference here is if BB intentionally installed backdoors to "allow" the NSA to monitor everything like this article is suggesting Apple is doing and that we already know Android has done. I just think for principle reasons, if BB isn't intentionally leaving doors open and forcing the NSA to actually "hack" our devices, even if it's no less secure I would want to support the company that isn't just handing the NSA a signed blank warrant...

I agree 100% and thank you for that post.
    07-21-14 03:30 PM

Slag, you're my man and all, but you're losing me here. You acknowledge that no one is probably immune, but you prefer the way BBRY allows agencies to access information?
    07-21-14 03:32 PM
181 123 ...