Right now i have a BB pearl 8130, I was thinking of getting an iphone. What are some great features of the iphone?
    09-16-08 02:43 PM
    Well you should really try one out before you make any decisions but...

If you want great web browsing capabilities, the iPhone is the best. It's really a media driven phone, built in iPod, awesome games coming out (has the potential to be better than PSP), and the app store is awesome.

There is more but those are the things I like about it most. I also find the touch keyboard to be great, but that's my opinion.
    09-16-08 04:49 PM
    Only 2 reasons i like it over a blackberry.

1. true chat threaded sms
    2. web browsing is awesome
    09-16-08 04:58 PM
    I had a iphone 3G, i liked it untill I started having problems with it. I went to 5 in one month and then on the 5th it broke. I dropped it in my room on the carpet and the screen just cracked. I couldn't believe that a phone that cost so much could break so easy, but I should have known. So I went back to the apple store and was b*tching like crazy, cause it fell on carpet and broke. They didn't believe me but there was no scratch's on it or anything, so I they gave me my money back and I bought a BB. Dont get me wrong, the iphone is great for web browsing and everything, but the only time I am on there is to kill time. If I got something to do I normally have my laptop with me or can wait till I get to it. If you are not ruff on phones then you might like the iphone, but I think they break to easy.

Just my 2cents.

Every one likes different things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-08 05:07 PM
    The only thing i use on the blackberry for is the internet, music, and my yahoo email. The only thing i dont like about the BB is the track ball.
    09-16-08 05:54 PM
    I recently switched from a Curve, and the only thing I really miss is the red led telling me I have e-mail
    09-16-08 06:15 PM
    In my opinion, DO NOT BUY AN iPhone!!! I recently (I bought the iPhone on Day 1) went from a BB Curve to the iPhone 3G. It's a cool phone, don't get me wrong but, there are a lot of things missing. You can't copy/paste and you might think you can deal with it but wait until people start sending you info you want to save for future use on your phone. You can't email more than one photo at a time in one email. You can't attach a photo through the mail application, you have to go to the photo application to email a photo. Say goodbye to Password Keeper (the thing I miss the most about my blackberry) because none of the applications can replace this simple yet genius application on the iPhone. You can't edit your notes on your PC or Mac. Email is not true "push". The email application does not run in the background so some emails have to be "fetched" from the server which I find ridiculous.

The Blackberry may not be as flashy and pretty or even as powerful as the iPhone but, the Blackberry is by far a more complete phone and communication device. Take this from someone who made the switch and is regretting it. Good thing iPhones hold their resale value because I'm selling mine and buying a Bold when it's released.
    09-16-08 07:23 PM
    Email is not true "push". The email application does not run in the background so some emails have to be "fetched" from the server which I find ridiculous.

The Blackberry may not be as flashy and pretty or even as powerful as the iPhone but, the Blackberry is by far a more complete phone and communication device. Take this from someone who made the switch and is regretting it. Good thing iPhones hold their resale value because I'm selling mine and buying a Bold when it's released.
    Email is not true push? Yea if your not using mobileme or microsoft exchange. Get mobileme, forward your email to your mobileme email and there you go, push.

More complete phone? Complete for who, you? The phone is complete for me, and I made the switch from an 8330 to the iPhone 3G. You nay be regretting it, but others aren't.

This is why I said Asking people if you should buy a phone is pointless. Try it YOURSELF and see if you like it. You are the one making the decision in the end, not us.
    09-16-08 08:48 PM
    I'll answer the OP first and then get back to Genius.

For the reasons you stated the iPhone IMO leads the pack, but this doesn't mean it is for you just yet. Keep in mind it's all touchscreen (which I find easier to type on) and although mail doesn't push for mail apps other than Me and Yahoo, you can actually forward those messages to those account and it will be pushed.

Here is a quote from a post I had made a little bit after the iPhone came out...

Text/SMS... Great threaded messaging, even better than the treo.

Email... This is what true HTML should be.

Voicemail... On my BB, I used to have the box full as most of the times I know who sent me a message and what they said. On the iPhone, usually under 3 or 4 as I am able to just delete right from the voicemail app. I also love the fact that I don't have to go in the order that they came in.

Browser... As this article proves, worlds ahead, just a bit closer now with the Bold's browser. I also love having tabbed browsing like Firefox/Safari.

MobileMe... 20 times better than what BIS offers. I take a pic, I upload it to my MobileMe account (20 gigs of storage) and delete. Contacts/Calendar push... forgot about it. I have a friend who is helping me look up appointments for apartments. She would just add it to my calendar on my MobileMe account and it's instantly on my iPhone while I travel with the address that I can hit and locate in the Maps application.

App store... Wow. Applications are just coming in left and right.

Games? Wow multiplied by 2. All touch and has great games.

Storage?... Not just 16GB of storage for media/files, but also for applications. I've already download over 25 apps and no slow downs what so ever. On my BB, I kept about three 3rd party apps due to precious space. (Opera Mini, Twitterberry & Telenav) Even after a while I took Telenav off.

iPod... Although I don't use this portion... for those who love watching movies or listening to music, this is awesome.

Tons more stuff, not enough time. Even after all of this, I'm not saying either device is better than the other, but for me, it's as perfect of a device as it's going to get. Once again, not perfect, but the most for my needs/wants.
    There is more to add, but this pretty much covers the 3 items you use the iPhone for.
    09-17-08 07:35 AM
    In my opinion, DO NOT BUY AN iPhone!!! I recently (I bought the iPhone on Day 1) went from a BB Curve to the iPhone 3G. It's a cool phone, don't get me wrong but, there are a lot of things missing. You can't copy/paste and you might think you can deal with it but wait until people start sending you info you want to save for future use on your phone. You can't email more than one photo at a time in one email. You can't attach a photo through the mail application, you have to go to the photo application to email a photo. Say goodbye to Password Keeper (the thing I miss the most about my blackberry) because none of the applications can replace this simple yet genius application on the iPhone. You can't edit your notes on your PC or Mac. Email is not true "push". The email application does not run in the background so some emails have to be "fetched" from the server which I find ridiculous.

Password Keeper... there are a crap load of password keepers (a lot of them free as well) that are better than the Blackberry's password keeper. I have one that has two passwords to bypass vs. one for free.

Notes... once again there are apps that will allow you save them online and then on to your PC. Jott for iPhone is an exaggeration of an app you can use as it allows you to create all notes by voice. WTF! That is off the hook. We have note apps that allows you to type, voice record, draw it yourself (almost like writing it), take a picture of the note and also surf the web for the note or object to save.

Email... it is not true push for the PC, but it is for the iPhone. Since 2.1 I have not had any issues with push. Fast as lightning with REAL HTML. You can set it to fetch all non Yahoo! or Me emails every 15 minutes, 30 minute, an hour or manually. Even that there are ways behind that to have it pushed using Yahoo! or Mail2Web (if you don't have MobileMe).

Just wondering how it is far more complete? Even with 4.5, the Blackberry has yet to have good IMAP support. I would love my folders that I save in my mail client on my phone. I would also like real HTML. When I get my Bold, I will post screen shots between the two. My iPhone's HTML email actually looks better than how it does on certain PCs. Memory leaks... why do I have to do a battery pull? Why do I have to worry about application space rather than storing 16gb of apps on my iPhone? I had over 35 apps installed on my iPhone once again had no issues. The blackberry even today you think more business before anything, so why is it the blackberry has the time zone updating issue? Even if you are going on vacation, more than like you won't be in the same time zone.
    09-17-08 07:50 AM
    I personally like the iPhone over my BB. The only thing I don't like is true push mail. I guess I could use Mail2Web or MobileMe. I just don't see why Apple can't setup something like BIS - :\
    09-17-08 08:10 AM
    I personally like the iPhone over my BB. The only thing I don't like is true push mail. I guess I could use Mail2Web or MobileMe. I just don't see why Apple can't setup something like BIS - :\
    YahOO! It's free and works with 2.1 update.

MobileMe is their BIS version. Unlike Blackberry, the data is provided by Apple on the iPhone data package. Blackberry provides the Blackberry data. When you pay apple for MobileMe, that is like paying for your BB data plan.
    09-17-08 08:30 AM
    Right now i have a BB pearl 8130, I was thinking of getting an iphone. What are some great features of the iphone?
    YES and give ME your BB 8130
    09-17-08 08:49 AM
    I tried the MobileMe service and it sucks. As for using a third party app to sync notes is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to sync my notes to TWO different places just to be able to edit them. I'll post again later after work.

09-17-08 09:53 AM
    I tried the MobileMe service and it sucks. As for using a third party app to sync notes is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to sync my notes to TWO different places just to be able to edit them. I'll post again later after work.

Please tell me why you think mobileme sucks. I have it, and it works flawlessly for me. As for the third party apps for notes, it might be a little inconvenient for you, but I find it extremely easy to use.

09-17-08 11:09 AM
    I have to say that I haven't used MobileMe recently but I used it about a month ago for 2 weeks and I almost never got any emails that were just sitting on the server pushed to my phone. Also, the service is $100 a year...or $90 if you buy it on Amazon. I don't need the 20GB of storage and most people don't. There are tons of FREE services that offer "cloud" storage. I don't need another photo sharing web application...Flickr stores my photos just fine. It's just too expensive for what you get. The concept is great but they (Apple) should have made a watered down version or a pick and choose what you want service. Blackberry push email is great and never had a problem with it. Apple's MobileMe push email service is questionable in my opinion.
    09-17-08 11:42 AM
    YahOO! It's free and works with 2.1 update.

MobileMe is their BIS version. Unlike Blackberry, the data is provided by Apple on the iPhone data package. Blackberry provides the Blackberry data. When you pay apple for MobileMe, that is like paying for your BB data plan.
    I just don't feel I should have to pay an extra 100 bucks a year for push mail when with the BB it came with the service.

Sure I can use Yahoo to push my mail, but then I have to forward my mail to my yahoo account. With my BB I could just setup my pop mail and it worked without going through hoops.

The other issue is if I send mail from my iPhone and have it setup with Yahoo then it will say it's coming from my Yahoo account, this goes back to work not liking this. I could just setup fetch for every 15 mintues, that wouldn't be so bad.

I am thinking of doing the MobileMe after my trial but I am still not so sure. I think you can trick the iPhone to say it's coming from a different account by changing the smtp server that mobileme uses to send out. That could be a work around, but again I don't feel like I should have to do that.

Maybe I should have waited for the BB Storm - :\ (I do like my iPhone though - lol)
    09-17-08 01:33 PM
    I have to say that I haven't used MobileMe recently but I used it about a month ago for 2 weeks and I almost never got any emails that were just sitting on the server pushed to my phone. Also, the service is $100 a year...or $90 if you buy it on Amazon. I don't need the 20GB of storage and most people don't. There are tons of FREE services that offer "cloud" storage. I don't need another photo sharing web application...Flickr stores my photos just fine. It's just too expensive for what you get. The concept is great but they (Apple) should have made a watered down version or a pick and choose what you want service. Blackberry push email is great and never had a problem with it. Apple's MobileMe push email service is questionable in my opinion.
    I have not had one problem with mobileme yet. I have never received an email any longer than 5-10 seconds after it is sent. Like I have said already, I usually get them instantly.

Yes apple should have made a watered down version of MM, but you can also blame ATT for charging so much for just data and no push (unless you are one of the people using mail2web/yahoo for push).

And the mobileme push email is not questionable, it works just as good as BIS, I have both.
    09-17-08 02:47 PM
    I wouldn't waste my time with an Iphone. You'll end up getting rid of it and coming back to the BB. I also can't stand fingerprints on the screen. I found it hard to type on it as well.
    09-18-08 09:05 AM
    Only 2 reasons i like it over a blackberry.

1. true chat threaded sms
    2. web browsing is awesome
    lol those are the two main reasons I bought one (that an my company discount was a sweet deal). I love and still use my bb but it's so much easier to look at texts as one solid conversation.
    09-18-08 10:44 AM
    I wouldn't waste my time with an Iphone. You'll end up getting rid of it and coming back to the BB. I also can't stand fingerprints on the screen. I found it hard to type on it as well.
    Don't assume people will switch back because you did. Also, simple way to get rid of fingerprints, get a screen protecter. It is very hard to type on at first for some people, just takes a little time to get use to.
    09-18-08 12:33 PM
    When I get on my PC, I'll go in depth, but using a 3rd party note program is as good if not better than using a native. What's the benefit when you aren't doing more work other than downloading the program.

09-18-08 01:27 PM

YOU would waste your time, thats fine, but do not tell someone else it is a waste when it might be a perfect fit for them. As for the fingerprints, you need a screen protector (like someone else said).

The OP needs to go and play with the phone. Me personally I am waiting for the Bold and I will compare, but I love my iPhone and I am not the one asking the question.

@OP: Go try one out at the store
    09-18-08 03:34 PM
    So did the OP get an iphone?
    09-18-08 07:15 PM
    So let me ask this question... you owned one?
    09-18-08 08:03 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD