Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree10Likes
  1. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Set up corporate email on 2 iphone 5's yesterday.

    I may be in the minority but to me they looked cheap, felt cheap and the map thing they have been hyping is total JUNK!
    ...The map isn't functional & it took significantly longer to load then the IOS 5 map.
    ...Compared to regular google map the new iphone one isn't functional, at all.
    ...This foolish stunt by Apple should help RIM out when it starts pushing BBX.

    I did two tests on the new IOS 6 map and it had me in the saltwater LOL....
    ...Even the map on the 9930 is way more accurate than that.
    ...Apple really shot itself in the foot over that one.

    The two people who had these phones were saying well, it's really much lighter than the other one....
    ...They were saying this like they were somehow trying to justify what they NOW had was better when it really wasn't.
    ...I'm telling ya, the phone felt CHEAP - similar to a droid device.

    RIM needs to take advantage of this and quick - I'm willing to bet that the BBX will have some weight to it....
    ....Consider a Rolex watch, it's got weight because.......!

    RIM needs to be all over the map thing - I'm telling ya, the new IOS map isn't functional....
    ....It's loading way slower even on LTE & isn't accurate at least 30% of the addresses you test.
    ....When you push on "my location" it will put you 1/4 of a mile at least away from where you are standing!
    Last edited by pythons; 09-22-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
    kemj, lynxs_claw and sugbo like this.
  2. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    71,129 Posts
    Global Posts
    71,284 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I don't like a light razor thin cheap feeling phone.

    Not sure bb10 mapping will be any better unless it has a lot to do with other than the source since apple and RIM will be using tom tom.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
  3. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    I don't like a light razor thin cheap feeling phone.

    Not sure bb10 mapping will be any better unless it has a lot to do with other than the source since apple and RIM will be using tom tom.
    On Wed I set up two Galaxy Samsung phones - and while the resolution was better on that phone then anything I've seen to date it still felt cheap, I mean really cheap!

    I'm with ya that I would prefer a phone to have a little weight to it....
    ...And with how easily I get lost driving to new addresses google maps was a saver for me.
    ...This new Apple map is absoultely junk, worst of all I updated my iphone to IOS 6.
    ...So now I need to find a way to unwind it lol!
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
  4. Hgouck's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,101 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,242 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Phones where big and everyone wanted small. Phones were small and people went with PDA's and smartphones. Now phones are talking calculators that aren't heavy enough. Ironic isn't it.
    I hope this helps.
    hytran likes this.
  5. masterscarhead1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,949 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    It also depends on your software coding and hardware chipset though. I mean on PB i use OSMAND which is FREE! And it works like a charm, pinpoint down to 5 m accuracy
  6. pantlesspenguin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,050 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,433 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    #6  

    Default

    I played with an iPhone 5 yesterday and I agree, it did have more of a cheap feel. I wasn't a fan of the matte black bezel, and the device felt too narrow.

    I'm also not a fan of the thin plastic back of the Samsung Galaxy line. I have an Incipio case on mine that fits great and doesn't add a lot of bulk but it gives the phone a bit more heft.

    I really like HTC and BlackBerry in terms of solid feeling hardware. I've seen the renders of the L series that show a plastic back and I'm really wondering if it'll be more thin or more sturdy.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
  7. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    I would have thought the new Apple mapp would if anything be better than what it had previously....
    ...The new Apple Maps isn't even functional compared to google & past that the map looks like fecal matter.
    ...it isn't clear at all - it's junk.

    Someone PLEASE tell me RIM isn't planning on using this map in their new BBX phone?????
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
  8. sam_b77's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,733 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    OP,
    This scares me a little regarding BB10. I'm in India and the BB maps don't work here, so I use Google Maps on the 9900. Works great.
    On the PB I haven't seen a decent map application. What will I use when BB10 drops in? Google is not rumoured to be making a map application for BB10. And RIM has apparently decided to go with Tom Tom data. How do we know that BB10 using Tom Tom data would be any better than the iPhone 5?
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

    Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits
  9. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    71,129 Posts
    Global Posts
    71,284 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I feel your pain on the mapping. Apple will more than likely have an update soon that hopefully resolves it.

    I hope it's just a software fix and not because it's tom tom or I don't know how RIM could do any better.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
  10. mikeo007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,221 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    I played with an iPhone 5 for a minute today while I was out. I don't think it felt cheap, and it certainly didn't look cheap. It did seem almost too light though, almost hollow. And like others have said, I'm not a fan of the anodized paint on the back; I don't like how it feels.

    But still, the phone is the perfect size for me. I haven't considered an iPhone for years, but this one is on my list now.

    BTW, the maps thing and iP5 in general have been beat to death. There are lots of threads in the dedicated Apple section of this site to talk about this stuff, why does it always show up in general?
  11. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_b77 View Post
    OP,
    This scares me a little regarding BB10. I'm in India and the BB maps don't work here, so I use Google Maps on the 9900. Works great.
    On the PB I haven't seen a decent map application. What will I use when BB10 drops in? Google is not rumoured to be making a map application for BB10. And RIM has apparently decided to go with Tom Tom data. How do we know that BB10 using Tom Tom data would be any better than the iPhone 5?
    I think Tom Tom has been in the map business for a long time so I'm guessing that it would be ok.....
    ...To be honest I never got a GPS and the only thing I've used is Google maps.
    ...To be totally honest when I've been driving and handed my phone to the passenger while looking for an address.
    ...They have asked why they even got a GPS!

    One thing is for sure - Apple can get away with passing off junk right now because they are apple....
    ...RIM can't and shouldn't pull a stunt like that!

    I feel for ya sam! I'm not sure how to answer you.
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
  12. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    I feel your pain on the mapping. Apple will more than likely have an update soon that hopefully resolves it.

    I hope it's just a software fix and not because it's tom tom or I don't know how RIM could do any better.
    I'm sure hope so - the general resolution of new apple map is terrible....
    ...Not that it matters much given the map isn't even functional compared to google maps.

    Do I understand it right that BBX plans to offer the same map that apple now has?
    ...OMG!
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
  13. greenberry666's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    730 Posts
    Global Posts
    732 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    If BB maps are anything like the io6 maps it would be a shame. Possibly enough to send me to Android Or WP (Nokia).

    The thing is Google have had several thousand people dedicated purely to their maps for several years. They have a data-set that it will take Apple years to catch up on.

    So Apple phones will be nerfed for years. (Unless they talk to Google).

    If Rim want the best maps I think they have to talk to Google

    I'm sure Google would be happy to mine the BB people for all their info......
  14. reeneebob's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,834 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,620 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    I played with an iPhone 5 for a minute today while I was out. I don't think it felt cheap, and it certainly didn't look cheap. It did seem almost too light though, almost hollow. And like others have said, I'm not a fan of the anodized paint on the back; I don't like how it feels.

    But still, the phone is the perfect size for me. I haven't considered an iPhone for years, but this one is on my list now.

    BTW, the maps thing and iP5 in general have been beat to death. There are lots of threads in the dedicated Apple section of this site to talk about this stuff, why does it always show up in general?
    I agree with you on everything except I LOVE the back plate. I can't believe that my plastic sgs3 (love the phone, but wish someone would introduce Samsung to aluminum) is heavier than the aluminum and glass iphone 5. And I dig the high shine/matte look.

    Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  15. pantlesspenguin's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,050 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,433 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    (love the phone, but wish someone would introduce Samsung to aluminum)


    There ya go!
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
  16. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default

    Just got off the phone with the Apple store and was told there is no way to roll back to IOS 5 from IOS 6....
    ...Just found out that Blackberry is going to use the same junk map application Apple went with.
    ...Windows phone or Droid here I come!
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
  17. sallenthornton's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    I was expecting a little more form this thread. Question: Did the email set-up correctly? Did you have any issues.

    I agree that the mapping software needs some work, but I'm very confident that apple will correct the problem soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    I was expecting a little more form this thread. Question: Did the email set-up correctly? Did you have any issues.

    I agree that the mapping software needs some work, but I'm very confident that apple will correct the problem soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was no issues with the email and frankly I've never had any issues with iphone email...
    ...I was just stunned that Apple hacked out google maps and appears to have hacked out youtube as well.
    ...Generally what Apple has offered has been first class - in the case of their maps this isn't the case at all.
    Last edited by pythons; 09-22-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
  19. reeneebob's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,834 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,620 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pantlesspenguin View Post
    I love you.

    Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
  20. reeneebob's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,834 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,620 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pythons View Post
    There was no issues with the email and frankly I've never had any issues with iphone email...
    ...I was just stunned that Apple hacked out google maps and appears to have hacked out youtube as well.
    ...Generally what Apple has offered has been first class - in the case of their maps this isn't the case at all.
    You can thank Samsung for that. Since Google owns both and Samsung has behaved like petulant toddlers with a grudge something had to give. Now Sammy is going to sue Apple because it's LTE? I eagerly await the Samsung lawsuits against all other LTE capable phone builders, except it won't happen because Samsung are behaving like petulant, spoilt babies.

    I like their phone, but Samsung is disgusting, more so than Apple for me.

    Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
  21. RetroAndreas's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    496 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pythons View Post
    ...Just found out that Blackberry is going to use the same junk map application Apple went with.
    I've been reading elsewhere that its Apple to blame for the way the mapping information is processed, not the mapping company (TomTom). I would have to agree because I have just about all the main navigation software/hardware and most work fine.

    PS
    Blackberry has been using TomTom for a while and it works fine for me in the Toronto area.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
  22. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RetroAndreas View Post
    I've been reading elsewhere that its Apple to blame for the way the mapping information is processed, not the mapping company (TomTom). I would have to agree because I have just about all the main navigation software/hardware and most work fine.

    PS
    Blackberry has been using TomTom for a while and it works fine for me in the Toronto area.
    I just know that Google maps worked perfectly and was a first class application on the iphone....
    ...What Apple crammed up peoples fudge briskets with IOS6 looks something like you would expect from the third world.
    Compared to Google it's literally not functional.

    Notice the difference in detail alone with Google maps....
    ...Google's "street view" is first class - Apples "fly over" is small town carnival class at best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Set up corporate email on 2 iphone 5's yesterday.-photo2.jpg   Set up corporate email on 2 iphone 5's yesterday.-photo.jpg  
    Last edited by pythons; 09-22-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
  23. pythons's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default

    Here is Google maps.

    The difference in quality between the two is staggering.....
    ...This is the type of "stunt" Blackberry simply can't afford to pull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Set up corporate email on 2 iphone 5's yesterday.-gm1.jpg   Set up corporate email on 2 iphone 5's yesterday.-gm2.jpg  
    A reluctant iPhone 4s user who would STILL be a Blackberry user had RIM not messed it's own bed by putting a "Fisher Price Camera" in it's "flagship" Blackberry Bold 9930.
  24. sallenthornton's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default Set up corporate email on 2 iphone 5's yesterday.

    Does anybody actually think that Apple will not fix the map issue? I understand the frustration, but it will be corrected.
  25. Roo Zilla's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,363 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,592 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default Re: Set up corporate email on 2 iphone 5's yesterday.

    Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    Does anybody actually think that Apple will not fix the map issue? I understand the frustration, but it will be corrected.
    From what I understand, it's improving very fast in some places. Hawaii being one of them. In some of the less densely populated countries, I hear it's not improving at all. Also, it seem most of the freaky flyover errors, like the flat Statue of Liberty, have been fixed. I've been in China the last 2 months, and can't really comment on personal experience on how maps are in the US, but Apple maps in China are like a lightyear ahead of Google's offering. I could go into detail, but no point. The only one better I've found was something called Gaode Maps, but that's all in Chinese, and I'm illiterate in Chinese.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions