Do you think there's any point buying an iPhone 3Gs (16 or 32GB, I feel 8 isn't enough) or iPod Touch 32GB/64GB?

For some reason I'm getting fed up of my Storm 2, but for some reason my contract has been pushed to December 21st (maybe it's a mistake on the Vodafone site). Even though I receive emails still about upgrading it soon.
    01-29-10 11:00 AM
    Depends on if you want to wait 6 more months for the next iPhone. If you got one now, you won't be eligible for upgrade then. So here's what I think your options are:

1. Keep your current device and wait at least until the Spring for Apple's next event to see about the next iPhone model

2. Buy an iPhone from Ebay or Craigslist and start new service. This way you should still be eligible for upgrade pricing since you started service with your own device. Then you could sell it, upgrade at discounted price and may make a profit

3. Get a new one from Apple or your carrier and start service. Sell it and use the proceeds towards the newer iPhone.
    01-29-10 11:19 AM
    I think an iPhone 4G is more than 6 months down the road ... probably more like a year down the road, and 4G will only be available in select markets, so it's probably best to get the 3GS because 3G is a mature technology.

In my opinion Apple will NOT release a new iPhone until the iPhone is 4G ready. If they keep releasing a bunch of 3G iPhones they risk cannabilizing sales of their existing models.

Other than that I agree with scorp. The iPhone has a pretty good resale value, especially unlocked. It can always be sold, even for a profit (I sold my Storm for about $150 profit).
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-29-10 at 11:45 AM.
    01-29-10 11:42 AM
    I think an iPhone 4G is more than 6 months down the road ... probably more like a year down the road, and 4G will only be available in select markets, so it's probably best to get the 3GS because 3G is a mature technology.
    he probably meant 4th generation iPhone...not a 4G network device

OP, wait it out because June is right around the corner. If u buy now your not gonna be able to upgrade when the time comes.

It felt great getting a 32gb 3GS for $299 while all my friends were paying $600/$700

wait it out and deal with the crappy Storm2
    01-29-10 11:45 AM

In my opinion Apple will NOT release a new iPhone until the iPhone is 4G ready. If they keep releasing a bunch of 3G iPhones they risk cannabilizing sales of their existing models.

Other than that I agree with scorp. The iPhone has a pretty good resale value, especially unlocked. It can always be sold, even for a profit (I sold my Storm for about $150 profit).
    4G = 4th generation

And I think they will release another one this year to keep with their current cycle. Some more added features and better hardware. IMO that's not out of the questions.
    01-29-10 11:51 AM
    4G = 4th generation

And I think they will release another one this year to keep with their current cycle. Some more added features and better hardware. IMO that's not out of the questions.

That's my entire point. I don't believe that Apple will release a 4th generation iPhone that isn't 4G capable, because the newest generation iPhone risks cannibalizing the sales of existing iPhone models. I can see the iPhone opening up to Verizon before a new model comes out, unless that new model is CDMA (very doubtful given that Apple had a chance to pair with Verizon on the iPad and didn't, and also because Verizon is releasing a whole slew of non Apple smartphones lately).

I just think that people shouldn't make their purchasing decisions based on unsubstantiated rumors. Right now it's way too far away to assume that Apple will release a new iPhone in June. My personal opinion is that they will not release a new iPhone until the carriers start rolling out their 4G networks. I suspect in June that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0, not a new hardware model.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-29-10 at 12:01 PM.
    01-29-10 11:58 AM
    That's my entire point. I don't believe that Apple will release a 4th generation iPhone that isn't 4G capable, because the newest generation iPhone risks cannibalizing the sales of existing iPhone models. I can see the iPhone opening up to Verizon before a new model comes out, unless that new model is CDMA (very doubtful given that Apple had a chance to pair with Verizon on the iPad and didn't, and also because Verizon is releasing a whole slew of non Apple smartphones lately).

I just think that people shouldn't make their purchasing decisions based on unsubstantiated rumors. Right now it's way too far away to assume that Apple will release a new iPhone in June. My personal opinion is that they will not release a new iPhone until the carriers start rolling out their 4G networks. I suspect in June that Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0, not a new hardware model.

"I don't believe that Apple will release a 4th generation iPhone that isn't 4G capable, because the newest generation iPhone risks cannibalizing the sales of existing iPhone models."

If this is your logic then you should be referred to the fact that they release a phone each year. So why would they release the 3GS if it would cannibalize the 3G and so on. I rather go with history than your opinon. I do agree about making decisions based on rumors, but it's not just rumors, it's also past history here. So if you go with history and not rumors then it's ok to make purchasing decisions on that. It's like if I know a newer car model is coming out in January I'm not going to buy the current model in November if I want the latest and greatest. IMO opinion they will not wait until 4G networks are up. They will release one this year and next year as well. In that case no one should release anymore phones until LTE networks are up They release them because they know people will buy them now and then to.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 01-29-10 at 01:04 PM.
    01-29-10 01:00 PM
    " So why would they release the 3GS if it would cannibalize the 3G and so on. I rather go with history than your opinon. I do agree about making decisions based on rumors, but it's not just rumors, it's also past history here.
    I agree, based on history, then a new iPhone should come out in six months. That said, you don't want the market flooded with too many versions of iPhones because the technology is redundant and confuses consumers. Having two iPhone models available for sale is not bad. Having 3 or more could cannibalize the sales of other models. No one knows for sure (cept maybe Apple).

Also, ATT plans on conducting trials of its 4G network this year with a commercial release in 2011. The end of 2010 is the perfect time for Apple to release a 4G iPhone (unfortunately Verizon has openly said they have no interest in selling a 4G smartphone any time in the near future).

Right now I believe Apple is more concerned with getting the iPhone into developing nations such as China and on other carriers in developed nations (Europe) rather than focusing their efforts on building a new model.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-29-10 at 03:00 PM.
    01-29-10 02:53 PM
    So I take that it's a no to the iPhone and iPod Touch until July?
    01-30-10 01:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD