Just want to know everyones take on Multitasking. All I hear is IPhone doesn't have real multitasking? If someone can tell me what a blackberry does better for multitasking I would like to know. I mean, I am flipping all over the place through the iPhone listening to music, browsing the net, Texting, and going back to my email to finish up a few paragraphs. I seem to do this better on the iPhone double tapping the home button and having all my open menus and apps right there to scroll right there then I did with the BB button. Seems nice and fluid and very fast compared to my Torch I had. Thanks for the input.
    10-05-10 02:24 PM
    who ever says that the iphone doesn't have real muti tasking probably never used one and read this on the net. For me it works great. I have my messengers open, write emails, jump on calls and browse a little the web and it works perfect. I am sure some apps don't have the ability to stay connected in the background but i would say that's mostly the developers fault.

If anyone could think of anything the iphone can't multi task please let us know. I don't real do all that much with my phone lol
    10-05-10 02:32 PM
    For the most part the iPhone has "true multitasking" just like the blackberry. There are some things like the fact that apps on the iPhone can not use data unless they are active that some people have an issue with. A great example is the way that Twitter apps work on the iPhone as compared to the Blackberry. On a berry the app is using data in the BG to look for new tweets. On the iPhone the app will not check for new tweets until you open the app.
    10-05-10 03:51 PM
    All platforms limit multi-tasking in one form or another. Some are hardware requirements, some are software requirements. For example, BB can only run programs up to a certain size, limited by memory. When people talk about Blackberry multi-tasking, they're talking about running in the background. For example, Facebook and Twitter updates in the background (although they could easily be made to use push notifications on iPhone, the developers have chosen not to). iPhone does the same thing for it's native apps. For example, the email app obviously runs in the background and alerts you whenever there's new email. Same for the iPod and even the clock.

What Apple does though, is limit functions that can run in the background for third party apps. Third party apps can only run certain APIs in the background and those include streaming audio, GPS, completion tasks, VOIP, push notifications, and fast app switching. For most uses, these are sufficient, as I said, both Facebook and Twitter can use push notifications, they just don't.

At the moment, there are some limitations to iOS that at best annoying, and at worst dealbreakers for power users. Their current implementation is a compromise between ease of use, function and battery life. As both hardware and software technology improve and the user base becomes more familiar with iOS, it's only a matter of time before they open up more APIs to multitasking.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-06-10 at 09:20 AM.
    10-05-10 09:42 PM
    One that comes to mind is if you are searching for something in Google Maps. On the Blackberry if you leave Google Maps and it hasn't found what you are searching for yet, if you go back, it has been searching while you were away. It will also load the areas of the maps that weren't loaded when you left. The iPhone will be in the exact same state as you left it, even if it's not closed out.

I feel with the exception of iPod and Pandora, the iPhone simply pauses the app when you "multitask". In fact, it some ways I miss when it didn't have multitasking, but I've gotten used to it and now use Multicleaner to shut down my apps. Highly recommended.
    10-05-10 11:00 PM
    On the flip side its good something isnt just running away using data in the background eating the battery. It also doesnt take all that long to go back and let it search- what, 5 seconds tops? The iphone is no slouch on data speeds like BBs.

It works both ways on those kinds of arguments.

And things like maps (GPS API) and other apps could get push (as some have like twitter apps) but blame the devs on that one. The tools are all there.
    10-06-10 12:47 AM
    On the flip side its good something isnt just running away using data in the background eating the battery. It also doesnt take all that long to go back and let it search- what, 5 seconds tops? The iphone is no slouch on data speeds like BBs.

It works both ways on those kinds of arguments.

And things like maps (GPS API) and other apps could get push (as some have like twitter apps) but blame the devs on that one. The tools are all there.
    Well it's not really an argument that goes both ways, it was a question of why people say not real multitasking, not if it's better. Is it true multitasking? No. Is it better this way? Depends on the situation.

My BB ran circles around my iPhone when it comes to data (not on wifi), but I'm not complaining about the speed since I'm running on T-Mo. My BB was on 3G, my iPhone is not. So really I would benefit greatly from maps running in the background now, vs when I was on the BB and the data was quick.

I'm a fan of the iPhone, but I'm not going to blindly praise it or justify it's short-comings. It is what it is. Nothing is perfect.
    10-06-10 09:02 PM
    Just want to know everyones take on Multitasking. All I hear is IPhone doesn't have real multitasking? If someone can tell me what a blackberry does better for multitasking I would like to know. I mean, I am flipping all over the place through the iPhone listening to music, browsing the net, Texting, and going back to my email to finish up a few paragraphs. I seem to do this better on the iPhone double tapping the home button and having all my open menus and apps right there to scroll right there then I did with the BB button. Seems nice and fluid and very fast compared to my Torch I had. Thanks for the input.
    You can stream pandora in the background and use other apps, that in itself would be multitasking would it not?
    10-07-10 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD