In another thread, someone wrote about the iPhone that "email works well but only one email is push and the rest are fetch".

Mrs. Powernoodle is cogitating on the purchase of an iPhone.

Can someone elaborate please on the quoted statement and explain it for me?

thanks!
    01-04-09 06:50 PM
    That is incorrect... two work as push out the box... MobileMe (excellent IMO) and Yahoo (has been choppy for some)

If you use Mail2Web, this should bring push to the rest of your accounts (Gmail, AOL and others)

Also you can create a yahoo account for free and have all your messages forwarded to it.
    01-04-09 07:07 PM
    If you create the yahoo account, when you reply to incoming email (that is forwarded to yahoo from gmail, lets say) will the recipient see it as coming from gmail?

Hope that makes sense.

I guess my real question is this - if you have an existing gmail account and a pop3 account lets say, can the iPhone be configured to retrieve (or receive) email from these accounts automatically, and can replies to these emails appear to come from the gmail or pop3 account rather than from the iPhone?

Thanks!

01-04-09 07:18 PM
    You can still setup your google mail and when it is time to respond, you can actually go into the actually gmail account to reply.
    01-04-09 07:23 PM
    The yahoo part is just so you can get your messages as real time as possible.
    01-04-09 07:23 PM
    One last thing please, and then I'll stop being (publicly) stupid.

If you set up the yahoo account and have everything forwarded there, when you reply it is sent from the yahoo account, right?

thanks
    01-04-09 07:29 PM
    One last thing please, and then I'll stop being (publicly) stupid.

If you set up the yahoo account and have everything forwarded there, when you reply it is sent from the yahoo account, right?

thanks
    When you reply you can change the email address you want to send it from. You just need to have the email address you want to send it from setup on your iPhone. \
    01-04-09 08:00 PM
    Push is better for battery life and for speed of email delivery.

In "Push" a ping is sent to the phone, if the phone responds, email is delivered.

In "Fetch", your phone connects into the email servers on a timed interval. This causes a higher drain on the battery.

Exchange, MobileMe and Yahoo are Push, the rest are Fetch.
    01-05-09 12:28 PM
    i'm glad i just saw this thread, it answered a question i was going to ask. i use 3 yahoo emails, and only one gmail acct. i'm ginna have the gmail just forward to a yahoo acct and have push like i do on my bold. sweet! thanks for the information!
    01-09-09 10:00 PM
    ok, got my iphone, but i had a question about the push. i'm using yahoo dsl and have an sbcglobal.net addres, i also have a business .com address through the bizmail.yahoo.com email addy's. will these not push? i'm not getting push on any of these emails, only the fetch.
    01-12-09 05:11 PM
    those are not push accounts, only the free yahoo IMAP is push. (if I'm not mistaken)

those DSL accounts are pop3..
    01-12-09 05:16 PM
    oh, ok, dang! so should i turn off the push notification then i wonder?
    01-12-09 05:25 PM
    you dont need to.. Push is only used when you have a push account setup and your phone receives a "ping" from the imap/exchange server.. not it, it'll never connect in to get email.

that's what Fetch is for. =)
    01-12-09 05:41 PM
    oh ok. i was worried it was going to drain the battery quicker or something if i left it on.
    01-13-09 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD