Hoping someone could answer this for me. What is the effect of jail breaking on a device's security? I dont use OpenSSH, but I changed the 'alpine' password regardless. Is there anything else to consider in order to secure the device?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 04:06 AM
    Unless the information on your device is a matter of national security I wouldn't worry about it.

Seriously people take security issues way too far.....just enjoy your iPhone.
    03-14-11 11:25 AM
    Seriously people take security issues way too far.....just enjoy your iPhone.
    Agreed. I understand people like to feel safe, but it is starting to get ridiculous. People really come off like they think they are more important than they really are.

If someone wants to steal data off your device, they will.
    03-14-11 12:11 PM
    Agreed. I understand people like to feel safe, but it is starting to get ridiculous. People really come off like they think they are more important than they really are.

If someone wants to steal data off your device, they will.
    It's not about how important you are, it's about how important your data is to you.

When it's what many people have on their phone it's probably not a big deal, but if you actually have information that is important then security could be a big concern.
    03-14-11 12:19 PM
    It's not about how important you are, it's about how important your data is to you.

When it's what many people have on their phone it's probably not a big deal, but if you actually have information that is important then security could be a big concern.
    Every platform is safe, it matters on how the user controls their permissions and data.

In the case of jailbreaking, no, it does not make your device any less secure. The only way you can get hurt is by keeping SSH open without changing the default password.
    03-14-11 12:22 PM
    Thank you all for your replies. Pardon my paranoia, but I recently have had an account of mine hacked and some money taken. So I'm just trying to tie up all of the loose ends as best as possible.

As for the information on my iPhone, I trade my stocks through it, store passwords, and other important files. These are definitely security concerns to me.
    03-14-11 02:56 PM
    Yeah I know if you changed the password you should be alright. However set a lock code (passcode) in case you lose it. Nothing else I'd do to be honest

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 03:13 PM
    No encryption involved as with some BlackBerry services, but frankly, the moment you broadcast anything (data, wifi or bluetooth) on whatever device, you're leaving yourself open to others accessing the info.

Be circumspect as to what you send from it, what you store on it (from a physical loss or theft point-of-view) and set a passcode and set up 'Find My iPhone' if you think that might help.
    03-15-11 10:29 AM
    I find it just a tad amusing that the OP uses an email address as the registered name on this site, yet is concerned about security. Something tells me that personal habits of use might be where the security problem currently is. I'm not bashing you or anything, but you need to realize that some habits need to be broken in order to safeguard yourself better from future breaches.
    03-15-11 12:06 PM
    I find it just a tad amusing that the OP uses an email address as the registered name on this site, yet is concerned about security. Something tells me that personal habits of use might be where the security problem currently is. I'm not bashing you or anything, but you need to realize that some habits need to be broken in order to safeguard yourself better from future breaches.
    Yea. Using an email address as a forum name is never a good idea.
    03-15-11 12:10 PM
    Who said that's my email address?

The mistake I made was logging onto my PayPal and email address used for notifications for said PayPal account through work. Through some means (keyloggers, trojans, etc.), my passwords were compromised. So, yes, I made the dumb mistake of logging onto my accounts from an insecure computer -- lesson learned!
    03-17-11 04:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD