I need a new phone, and my birthday is coming up (october). I am looking to get an iPhone, but my dad doesn't want to upgrade my line, because he wants me to get my own plan next year when our contract ends (I'll be 18), so I was wondering if I could buy the phone straight up from Apple or AT&T, even if it is for $700, it doesn't really matter to me, I just want an iPhone. I would just purchase from eBay but I don't trust it after I got a broken iPhone 3G earlier this year.
    08-06-10 03:07 AM
    Yes, you can buy one at full retail, but to activate it they will make you purchase the data plan for it on your line, but Im not sure if that will include a manditory 2 yr committment if you buy it straight up.
    08-06-10 07:24 AM
    You can upgrade and later separate and make your line I to your own plan later. Just because you sign a contract as part of a family plan now doesn't mean you can't take your line away from the family plan and create an individual plan later. Att doesn't care along as you are still paying then and fulfilling the contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 08:41 AM
    You can upgrade and later separate and make your line I to your own plan later. Just because you sign a contract as part of a family plan now doesn't mean you can't take your line away from the family plan and create an individual plan later. Att doesn't care along as you are still paying then and fulfilling the contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Exactly. Just upgrade the line and when you turn 18 separate the line onto a new account. It's very typical since people eventually grow up and have to get off their parent's plan.
    08-06-10 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD