Back in March I backed up my phone, erased it and gave it to my Mother In-law. Since then I have been using my 9930 as my daily driver until my wife's ip4 went down. I got hers warrantied but upgraded her to a 4s anyway. So I thought I would try the ip4 once again and had it activated. I went into itunes and had the phone restored from my last back-up in March (I did not select restore as new phone). Everything was fine and all my Apps, pictures and contacts came back as before.

A day or so later my wife and I were texting back and forth and a new text suddenly appears in the thread. The text read " I'm not sure what I'm reading and I don't think I belong here so I'll leave". That text came from my phone for all intended purposes and prompted a phone call from my wife asking me what the heck I was talking about. It was hard to convince her that I didn't write the text and had no idea where it came from as the text was on my phone just like I had sent it. I also appeared on her phone as coming from my e-mail ID and not my phone number. Well as soon as I got home I shut the phone down and turned on the 9930 again so I could figure out what was going on but could find no reason in the phone how this could happen.

Later that evening we found out that the text had come from my Mother In-law and she had been receiving all my out going and in coming text messages since I turned the phone on. Somehow when I used the old backup it must have linked my "new" iphone with the "old" iphone in imessage and combined the two. I then restored as new and it appears to be fine now. I know when chasing a glitch or problem with a phone you need to restore as new but I never thought it would link two phones together if you didn't, but it does somehow or at least I think it does.

I tend to luck out when I'm stupid and no harm was done. But what if I had sold that phone on Ebay or Craigslist and done the same restore? I might never have know what was happening or what information I was giving out. For example one of the texts contained my wife's bank account number and at a later date it could have been her pin or the name of the bank. Who knows what could be pieced together over time by the wrong person with bad intent.

Anyway just a heads up and hopefully this will save someone from a much worse outcome than I had.
    01-05-13 12:31 PM