I'd bet that most people who switch from using a Blackberry to iPhone will most likely never return and here's why. Once somebody has made the switch they start to explore and get accustomed to the iPhone's capabilities, they can use it for work and personal use. They start downloading and using apps. Apps that make things easier and more convenient to find information and get things done. Their partner may have an iPhone also and they now use apps that can interact with each other like a calendar, grocery or reminder apps. Soon they begin to think wouldn't it be great to have an iPad2. So they get one, they purchase more apps for the iPad and subscribe to services like Hulu+ and they can use many existing apps across both devices. They purchase speaker docks for their kitchen or living room so they charge their devices and play music then they get a couple clock/radio docks for their night stands in the bedroom.
    It's time to get a new printer so hey why not get one that's compatible with these iOS devices so we can print wirelessly if we want to. Their friends and relatives already have or are now getting iPhones too. Now Grandpa who is across the country can use FaceTime to see and talk to his grandchildren. Aunts & uncles in other states use FaceTime as well.
    They start to sync their music, photos, videos, documents through iCloud. They can now take a picture with their iPhone and it shows up on the iPad almost instantly. Next they think maybe I should get an iTV so we can stream photos, videos and other content directly from my iPad or iPhone to the big TV. Cool. Later it's time to buy a new laptop. Hey we really like these Apple products so why not take a look at a Mac. They end up getting a MacBook Air. It can sync everything with iCloud too.
    So now this person who started out by simply switching to an iPhone because he was frustrated by RIMs lack of innovation now has made a substantial investment, whether consciously or unconsciously, into the Apple ecosystem.
    At this point it would be almost impossible to get that person to switch back to using a Blackberry let alone any other device. Actually this is a true story about me and think it could apply many many other people out there.
    Last edited by collide.six; 11-18-11 at 09:12 PM.
    Luzabeth and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    11-18-11 09:05 PM
    Exactly what happened to me as well.
    11-18-11 09:18 PM
    When I woke up this morning I would not have guessed I'd have two separate occasions to use the phrase "cram it" in matters related to blackberry tech "analysis". But I do.

I'd bet that most people who switch from using a Blackberry to iPhone will most likely never return and here's why. Once somebody has made the switch they start to explore and get accustomed to the iPhone's capabilities, they can use it for work and personal use. They start downloading and using apps. Apps that make things easier and more convenient to find information and get things done. Their partner may have an iPhone also and they now use apps that can interact with each other like a calendar, grocery or reminder apps. Soon they begin to think wouldn't it be great to have an iPad2. So they get one, they purchase more apps for the iPad and subscribe to services like Hulu+ and they can use many existing apps across both devices. They purchase speaker docks for their kitchen or living room so they charge their devices and play music then they get a couple clock/radio docks for their night stands in the bedroom.
    It's time to get a new printer so hey why not get one that's compatible with these iOS devices so we can print wirelessly if we want to. Their friends and relatives already have or are now getting iPhones too. Now Grandpa who is across the country can use FaceTime to see and talk to his grandchildren. Aunts & uncles in other states use FaceTime as well.
    They start to sync their music, photos, videos, documents through iCloud. They can now take a picture with their iPhone and it shows up on the iPad almost instantly. Next they think maybe I should get an iTV so we can stream photos, videos and other content directly from my iPad or iPhone to the big TV. Cool. Later it's time to buy a new laptop. Hey we really like these Apple products so why not take a look at a Mac. They end up getting a MacBook Air. It can sync everything with iCloud too.
    So now this person who started out by simply switching to an iPhone because he was frustrated by RIMs lack of innovation now has made a substantial investment, whether consciously or unconsciously, into the Apple ecosystem.
    At this point it would be almost impossible to get that person to switch back to using a Blackberry let alone any other device. Actually this is a true story about me and think it could apply many many other people out there.
    sounds like you spent a lot of time thinking about this but neglected to consider that people have different needs and tastes than yourself. And all the people I know that have iPhones / iPads / iPod touches (myself included) never ever use facetime. ever.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 11-18-11 at 10:10 PM.
    11-18-11 10:08 PM
    I know people who use FaceTime and I use it on my iOS devices. Just used it speaking with some relatives in Ireland and my best friend in Switzerland. It is free internationally, like Skype.

Can't wait to get my iPhone.
    spike12 likes this.
    11-18-11 10:12 PM
    I'd bet that most people who switch from using a Blackberry to iPhone will most likely never return
    My company was getting rid of the BES and I was the last on a Blackberry, having just received a 9930 (Verizon). I buckled, ordered an iPhone 4 and got it installed, etc. Good piece of equipment, and I gave it a try. But I ended up sending her back to Cupertino and going back to the 9930. Why?

I'm not a fanboy; my reasons are entirely practical. I don't need a religion (got one thanks). Not looking for a toy with which to play. Not in the market for a partner (or a substitute). Don't need a status symbol, or something to carry around so people will think I'm cool. And I don't need stock options, either. I like to think that I have a life, and it's a pretty good one, thanks be to God.

What I need is a tool that will allow me to: a) communicate via voice, e-mail, and text message with others; b) surf the web occasionally for the times that I need some informaiton; c) manage my calendar and tasks; d) occasionally edit word or spreadsheet documents, or take notes.

The iPhone is a wonderful piece of work, but it doesn't have a native task app. I found that typing on it was a near occasion of sin for me, as the blasted phone is too narrow for me and the absence of a physical keyboard slowed me down tremendously. In addition, the "predictive" texting cannot read my mind, and I was forever backspacing to erase what the Cupertino techies programmed the phone to "think" what I wanted to write.

But in reality, I found the iPhone to take a lot longer to do basic tasks. Yes, it's intuitive, but only if you think like Steve Jobs. My Blackberry allows me to move from one setting to another much more quickly than the iPhone (for most things) without hitting "back" a dozen times. Usually, it's a tap of the button, choose the setting, and off we go.

Finally, I didn't buy either the Blackberry or the iPhone as a homage to the innovative minds who made them. Neither did I switch from the BB to the iPhone and back because of my frustration at any perceived lack of innovation. The folks who made both of them are a heck of a lot smarter than I am, and both are really well made. And if I were stuck with the iPhone, I'd probably swear more, but my life would still be pretty good.

At the end of the day, we really need to remember a basic fact: dude, we're talking about machines. There are many more important things to worry about, and a lot of people would live for a year on what each of us spent on our phones. I'm glad you're happy in the Apple ecosystem. Have a great day.
    11-18-11 10:19 PM
    Exactly CU, Apple makes a very good product for new smart phone users, but you have to buy into the whole Steve way of doing things, if you want to be different, the iphone makes it hard to do that. If the iphone was the perfect phone why do so many iphone owners jailbreak it? You never hear of BB phones needing that, why because RIM doesn't limit what users can do.

My daughter who currently has a 9800 wants an iphone and I can hardly wait for her to get it and a month later discover that RIM really made things easy to customize. :-/

CS
    11-18-11 10:32 PM
    Funny you mention that OP cause I just had a friend who got an iPhone a while ago after seeing mine and he said he was thinking of getting a Mac laptop. Apple products are great and they really work well but they arent everything to everyone. Ive had the 3GS and now iPhone 4 and im getting pretty bored with it as a phone. I'm sure some people will switch to apple products but theres always going to be those that switch back or to something else. I think a lot of users don't get wraped up into the whole 'ecosystem' either. I know a couple friends of mine who I make fun of cause they only have 1 extra app after the main screen on their iPhone. Some people still use phones as phones.
    11-18-11 11:42 PM
    I could not disagree more - I just got an iPhone 4S and after 4 weeks of use I have realized that it was a big mistake. Here are the things that really bugged me, and I missed, but also knew about but did not think that it would be a big deal and others are like what, why can't I do this...So here is my list...

The major complaints about the iPhone all revolve around the lack of key messaging features that I have grown used to on my BB.

1- No notification on home screen for new emails that arrive in sub-folders.
    2- No "mark all unread" function - you will need to individually mark unread/read messages.
    3- No account-specific signatures. So you cant have a separate work signature for your work account and another one for your personal account.
    4- Obvious but still worth stating - no LED notifications! Did n't think I would miss this but I do.
    5- No option to mark appointments on calendar as private.
    6- No option to set emails as low/normal/high priority.
    7- Inability to deep search Exchange server for emails etc. (at least on my work server).
    8- No missed call alerts.
    9- No native send group email function - what you mean I can't create a group and send a grouped email on a so-called smartphone how dumb.
    10- No "Phone only" feature or ability to customize incoming communications.
    11- No "Bedside Mode" equivalent or ability to set time when phone is on standby.
    12 - Can only sync upto one week of messages on my work server - Exchange Policy setting?? BB did not have this limitation.
    13 - Cannot save email messages.

I am shocked that people are n't screaming about the lack of these features. The iPhone's email capabilities are truly second-rate to that of the BB's but even after extensive research the number of deficiences were not entirely apparent but they added up pretty quick. I need to get back to my 9930!!
    Last edited by ab345; 11-19-11 at 12:19 AM.
    AZ87 and muzichead like this.
    11-19-11 12:03 AM
    My company was getting rid of the BES and I was the last on a Blackberry
    All of the companies I work with are on iPhone now, so I found myself in the same boat. They are developing apps in the future, so I figured get on board now.

What I need is a tool that will allow me to: a) communicate via voice, e-mail, and text message with others; b) surf the web occasionally for the times that I need some informaiton; c) manage my calendar and tasks; d) occasionally edit word or spreadsheet documents, or take notes.
    The iPhone has Pages, Keynote, and Numbers, which work great for me to edit documents on my iPad. I find myself using my iPad more now than my BB, that is why I am going to get an iPhone.

The iPhone is a wonderful piece of work, but it doesn't have a native task app.
    The new iOS 5 comes with a native task app.

I found that typing on it was a near occasion of sin for me, as the blasted phone is too narrow for me and the absence of a physical keyboard slowed me down tremendously. In addition, the "predictive" texting cannot read my mind, and I was forever backspacing to erase what the Cupertino techies programmed the phone to "think" what I wanted to write.
    I think you can turn predictive text off.

Finally, I didn't buy either the Blackberry or the iPhone as a homage to the innovative minds who made them. Neither did I switch from the BB to the iPhone and back because of my frustration at any perceived lack of innovation. The folks who made both of them are a heck of a lot smarter than I am, and both are really well made. And if I were stuck with the iPhone, I'd probably swear more, but my life would still be pretty good.
    I feel the same way about the BB. I am tired of not being able to have a decent camera and GPS on my phone and I feel that I am trading in the speed of the BB for better features in other areas (like FaceTime, apps, and other things). The Pages, Keynote, and Numbers apps are awesome and the fact that I can hook a projector up to the phone will lighten my travel bag considerably. Also, I can respond to emails in my hotel rooms with the full size BT keyboard. Why BB didn't figure this out, is beyond me.

At the end of the day, we really need to remember a basic fact: dude, we're talking about machines. There are many more important things to worry about, and a lot of people would live for a year on what each of us spent on our phones. I'm glad you're happy in the Apple ecosystem. Have a great day.
    You are absolutely right. I have noticed a lot of people on this forum personally attack others. Your post is great!
    11-19-11 08:10 AM
    why do people say they cant wait? you obviously can otherwise you`d av got one already
    Ummmm....because it is in transit and I can't speed up that process, hence my statement, "can't wait".

They released the unlocked version, Friday 11.11.11. I ordered one that day and they are still processing. iPhone 4S appears to be a very successful device and they are still difficult to get even after about a month being available for sale.

It isn't like a BB where they make a bunch and have them sitting around at all the stores, because no one is buying them, only to be later discounted (coughPLAYBOOKcough). Just kidding
    11-19-11 08:15 AM
    All of the companies I work with are on iPhone now, so I found myself in the same boat. They are developing apps in the future, so I figured get on board now.

The iPhone has Pages, Keynote, and Numbers, which work great for me to edit documents on my iPad. I find myself using my iPad more now than my BB, that is why I am going to get an iPhone.

The new iOS 5 comes with a native task app.

I think you can turn predictive text off.

I feel the same way about the BB. I am tired of not being able to have a decent camera and GPS on my phone and I feel that I am trading in the speed of the BB for better features in other areas (like FaceTime, apps, and other things). The Pages, Keynote, and Numbers apps are awesome and the fact that I can hook a projector up to the phone will lighten my travel bag considerably. Also, I can respond to emails in my hotel rooms with the full size BT keyboard. Why BB didn't figure this out, is beyond me.

You are absolutely right. I have noticed a lot of people on this forum personally attack others. Your post is great!

Let's not forget #12:

You can set the limit to 1 week, 1 month or no limit. The only real points you have are: no way to send or see if priority email has been selected. And no real profiles settings. You got me there, but other than that these two devices don't compare anymore.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    11-19-11 08:43 AM
    Wow you make it sound like if you go apple all you do is spend spend spend. I'll keep keep keep.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    11-19-11 08:51 AM
    I don't get the fuss about ecosystem.
    I have Macbook but didn't sign up for iCloud. Have an iPod and that is just an expensive paper weight. iTunes is impossible.
    I have a BB too.I love my Macbook and my BB. Don't see why I would need an iPhone to go with my Macbook.
    And as a side note, since I use my computer for real work, I have Windows 7 loaded on the Macbook. So no complete loyalties. I use whatever device works best for me in a particular situation.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 11-19-11 at 10:30 AM.
    11-19-11 09:21 AM
    I am shocked that people are n't screaming about the lack of these features. The iPhone's email capabilities are truly second-rate to that of the BB's but even after extensive research the number of deficiences were not entirely apparent but they added up pretty quick. I need to get back to my 9930!!
    If you have a 9930, which was released in August, why would you purchase an iPhone 4S? That doesn't make any sense.

Regarding people not "screaming" about the lack of those features you listed, obviously they don't care. RIM devices emphasize security, e-mail, messaging and keyboards (with only a few exceptions on the keyboard, none of which are very good); iPhones emphasize browsing, apps, and messaging, with a 100% touch experience. More people are interested in browsing, apps and touch than they are in e-mail, security and physical keyboards, which is why the iPhone handily outsells the entire BlackBerry line. It's really not complicated.

As for their being no "missed call alert," I know that's not true; I've seen missed call alerts from me on my wife's phone. So you probably should have checked your device settings; I believe you have to enable specific notifications (I'm guessing since not everyone wants their missed calls and or voicemail popping up on their lock screen and or in a banner alert, the feature is disabled by default).
    11-19-11 09:25 AM
    Economist I believe iPhone whips on BB in the united states but in other countries I believe rim is doing good
    BlackStormRising and Mrluky like this.
    11-19-11 07:07 PM
    If you have a 9930, which was released in August, why would you purchase an iPhone 4S? That doesn't make any sense.

Regarding people not "screaming" about the lack of those features you listed, obviously they don't care. RIM devices emphasize security, e-mail, messaging and keyboards (with only a few exceptions on the keyboard, none of which are very good); iPhones emphasize browsing, apps, and messaging, with a 100% touch experience. More people are interested in browsing, apps and touch than they are in e-mail, security and physical keyboards, which is why the iPhone handily outsells the entire BlackBerry line. It's really not complicated.

As for their being no "missed call alert," I know that's not true; I've seen missed call alerts from me on my wife's phone. So you probably should have checked your device settings; I believe you have to enable specific notifications (I'm guessing since not everyone wants their missed calls and or voicemail popping up on their lock screen and or in a banner alert, the feature is disabled by default).
    I get missed call notifications just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-19-11 10:19 PM
    Economist I believe iPhone whips on BB in the united states but in other countries I believe rim is doing good
    The sales numbers may be there, but the profit margins probably won't be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-19-11 10:20 PM
    Back to the OP's post: I bought my first iPhone last month and I've already started researching on switching the wife over and then getting both of us onto Mac

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-11 01:41 AM
    I love my iPhone and I know I'll never go back to BB and that's my preference.
    11-23-11 05:42 PM
    Back to the OP's post: I bought my first iPhone last month and I've already started researching on switching the wife over and then getting both of us onto Mac

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Get the whole shooting match:
    My setup
    iPhone 4s
    iPad
    MacBook PRO
    Apple TV2
    LG Plasma TV
    Yanaha 7.1 Digital Receiver

Wife has iPhone4 and a 13" White MacBook so she can also stream her iTunes library.

Apple TV2 provides the interface between Macs and iPhones for airplay and music. (home sharing)
    11-23-11 06:41 PM
    As it stands where i am right now, i switched to my 4S on 11/4, coming from using bb's for over 4+yrs. I can honestly i'm extremely pleased with the 4S and i don't *think* i'll be going back to a bb anytime in the near future, whether it be next yr or 2 yrs away. I really like the way the 4S overall functions and it fits ME What i can say is i will be looking forward to the next iPhone that Apple will be releasing

In my household right now, out of 7 of us, 3 of us are on iPhones 4(2)/4S(1), and i just ordered one my daughters a 16gb white 4S that should be here on Monday or Tues. so that will then be 4 of us "iPhoning" it up in the household
    Last edited by iPinkk; 11-23-11 at 07:47 PM.
    sj-performance and Cleveland like this.
    11-23-11 07:41 PM
    I had an iPhone 3G for 3 years, then went over to Blackberry. Tried a 9700 then a Torch then went and got an iPhone 4. Used that for 6 months, tried Android, then back to Blackberry for a 9900, then went and got a Galaxy S2 and now an iPhone 4S. I have tried a bunch of phones over the past year now and really leaning towards Apple. Very pleased with my 4S. Using the Galaxy S2 for my other business now
    11-23-11 07:42 PM
    Just a little twist from Kevin's Christmas song:

Oh, jingle bells, Android smells
    webOS go away
    Windows Yuck and RIM stock sucks
    Apple all the way, hey!
    webOS go away
    Apple all the way, hey!
    11-23-11 07:44 PM
    Yeah and I posted that in a thread started by a BB Fanboy.....10 to 1 i get called a troll in less than 8 posts.....
    11-23-11 07:48 PM
    Just a little twist from Kevin's Christmas song:

webOS go away
    Apple all the way, hey!
    webOS go away
    Apple all the way, hey!
    this is "troll" bait lol
    11-23-11 11:40 PM