Hey I just wanted some opinions from people who had both blackberry's and iphones. I originally had an Iphone 3g but got really fed up with the portrait texting, I made way to many errors. I use my phone 80% of the time for texting so this really means a lot to me. The other 20% is split between calls and browsing the web.

I ended up selling my 3g, hoping to get a blackberry which is famous for their amazing Qwerty keyboards. But now the 3Gs is out and some of my friends told me the landscape texting is much easier to use.

I was just wondering if there are any people out there that has both the 3Gs and a blackberry before and comment how you feel about the keyboards. I really want to buy a new blackberry and try it out but apparently browsing the web and such isn't so good with BB. If thats the case I might just go back to the Iphone. Any recommendations out there??
    08-03-09 01:51 PM
    Hey I just wanted some opinions from people who had both blackberry's and iphones. I originally had an Iphone 3g but got really fed up with the portrait texting, I made way to many errors. I use my phone 80% of the time for texting so this really means a lot to me. The other 20% is split between calls and browsing the web.

I ended up selling my 3g, hoping to get a blackberry which is famous for their amazing Qwerty keyboards. But now the 3Gs is out and some of my friends told me the landscape texting is much easier to use.

I was just wondering if there are any people out there that has both the 3Gs and a blackberry before and comment how you feel about the keyboards. I really want to buy a new blackberry and try it out but apparently browsing the web and such isn't so good with BB. If thats the case I might just go back to the Iphone. Any recommendations out there??
    In the beginning typing was challenging on the iPhone but after a while even in portrait mode, I became very fast and accurate. Now with landscape, typing is so much easier because they is a good amount of space between the onscreen buttons rather than having them touching. I would say, just try it out and give it at least a week or 2 and see how well you adapt to the typing. It all depends on the person. Some believe that they will always be able to type faster on a blackberry, while others say they can type faster than they didn't on their blackberries. Some people love it and others hate it. I can admit that I don't type as fast as I did on my curve, but I do type faster than I did on the Bold.

It could be worse..... you can have surepress
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-03-09 at 02:56 PM.
    08-03-09 01:56 PM
    It really all depends on how much you use it. I can type as fast on the iPhone as I can on my 8900 but I cannot type as accurately. I also can't really touchtype on the iPhone because there's no feedback and without buttons, I don't really know where I'm typing without looking at the screen. In order for me to get the accuracy of a BlackBerry on the iPhone, I have to lower my typing speed from around 50-55 WPM to 40 WPM. The iPhone is easier to type on than some of the other high-profile smartphones such as the G1 which feels like mush to type on and the Pre's keyboard which is ridiculously small.
    08-03-09 02:42 PM
    I still have two BBs and this is how they stack up for me:

For raw speed typing as fast as possible, my Curve wins by a mile. I probably type 60-70 WPM when I get in the zone. Being able to press the next button before letting go of the current one makes it lightning fast with practice.

Between my Storm and iPhone, it's a wash. With SurePress, I make fewer mistakes because of the click, but the iPhone has better error correction, it catches almost all of my typos. I can type 40-50 WPM on my iPhone and a little less than that on my Storm. With enough practice, you will become very fast regardless of the device you are using.
    08-03-09 03:28 PM
    yeah.. I type way faster on my iPhone.. not sure why people feel the need to click in a "button" vs just pressing on the screen.. but I can tell you i've had a few races with people here in the office with physical KB's and I've beaten them by a lot.

My last race, I was done with a whole paragraph before the person even had their 2nd sentence in.
    08-03-09 03:36 PM
    I would go to an Apple store or AT&T store and try the 3GS out. I know in my area there is always a good amount of display units out to try.

Try out typing in landscape.

And like others have said, typing on my Bold's qwerty is more accurate than the 3GS, but I remember being just as quick if not quicker on my 3G with auto correction.
    08-03-09 03:45 PM
    yeah.. I type way faster on my iPhone.. not sure why people feel the need to click in a "button" vs just pressing on the screen.. but I can tell you i've had a few races with people here in the office with physical KB's and I've beaten them by a lot.

My last race, I was done with a whole paragraph before the person even had their 2nd sentence in.
    Exactly how I feel... for me, this is the feeling even in portrait mode. I have had lots of races and not having to click is what makes me faster. I glide over the letters slightly touching it while the iPhone does the auto-correcting if need be. In portrait, I make more mistakes, but the auto-correct takes care of that. I have/had all the iPhones, Bold, Storm and 8900 (newer models) and nothing comes close to my iPhone in typing, not even against the old school curve.
    08-03-09 04:05 PM
    I type faster on my iPhone (in portrait or landscape) than I did on my Curve and Bold. Once you get use to it, it is extremely efficient. It is a "skill" you need to acquire.
    08-03-09 07:39 PM
    It all depends on the person. I can type much faster on my iPhone than I ever did on my Bold or 8900. The auto-correct works great (usually :P ) too
    08-03-09 07:50 PM
    Exactly how I feel... for me, this is the feeling even in portrait mode. I have had lots of races and not having to click is what makes me faster. I glide over the letters slightly touching it while the iPhone does the auto-correcting if need be. In portrait, I make more mistakes, but the auto-correct takes care of that. I have/had all the iPhones, Bold, Storm and 8900 (newer models) and nothing comes close to my iPhone in typing, not even against the old school curve.
    Wow. It's like you took the words right out of my mouth.
    08-03-09 08:12 PM
    This is **** I can't decide. People put up good arguments for both sides lol. I'm leaning more towards the iphone now since everyone seems to have an easier time typing with it. Plus the iphone's multimedia is probably better than any blackberry out there...?
    08-04-09 12:04 AM
    now you can download the 3.0.1 update and you get the landscape keyboard
    08-04-09 04:40 AM
    I have found myself typing faster on the iPhone than any other physical smartphone keyboard I have ever had.
    08-04-09 07:45 AM
    I just switched from a Curve to a 3gs. It definitely takes some time to get used to the touchscreen keyboard but I think I'll get the hang of it. There's no comparison between a BB and the iPhone IMHO - iPhone spanks the BB. Even if I never get the hang of the touchscreen kb - all the other pluses of the iPhone over a BB make it worth it to me.
    08-04-09 07:48 AM
    I agree that the clicking in the buttons does take up a little more time and that time adds up. I can type as fast as I can on the iPhone (I have an iPod touch) but the accuracy is 80% of the accuracy I have with a Bold or 8900. Autocorrect is great and the iPhone has the best autocorrect system of any device but I type a lot of irregular words. Even when I hit the wrong key and type a regular word, I still have to go back and manually correct most of the time.
    08-04-09 03:35 PM
    Plus the iphone's multimedia is probably better than any blackberry out there...?
    If you like the organization and ease of use of the iPod, than yes it is better at multimedia. I find the quality to be much better also.
    08-04-09 03:39 PM
    now you can download the 3.0.1 update and you get the landscape keyboard
    The landscape keyboard came stock with 3.0, 3.0.1 fixed the SMS vulnerability issues.
    08-04-09 03:41 PM
    It took me a while but now i type faster on my iPhone than any physical qwerty keyboard now.
    08-09-09 05:31 AM
    I think it comes down to personal preference and experience. When I used to play around with other people's iPhone I could never type fast or accurately. I had always been able type faster on a physical keyboard. But when iPhone introduced the landscape qwerty keyboard, I took the plunge and left my BB Bold behind. After a couple of weeks of typing with the iPhone, I can actually type faster on the virtual keyboard. O think that I have gotten faster and more accurate with texting in general, buy I am faster now than I was with my BB. I rarely use the landscape keyboard anymore. I like typing in potrait mode because it seems to be more of a challenge. Silly I know, but that's how I like to look at it like a game I play to see how fast and accurate I can type in portrait mode.
    10-07-09 08:44 AM
    I can't touch type on the iPhone like I could on my Curve... but I also don't suffer from Blackberry thumbs anymore either
    10-07-09 04:54 PM
    I actually type faster in portrait mode. I tend to only use one hand when typing. Landscape is too cumbersome for me and I hardly ever type in landscape mode. Like many others have stated, the auto correct works great.
    10-08-09 09:22 AM
    I have used the landscape txting and it is pretty great
    10-09-09 02:47 PM
    I actually type faster in portrait mode. I tend to only use one hand when typing. Landscape is too cumbersome for me and I hardly ever type in landscape mode. Like many others have stated, the auto correct works great.
    I also type faster in portrait mode but I use two thumbs. I think because the keys are closer together I am able to type faster. I am slightly more accurate in landscape mode though.
    10-09-09 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD