Here's something good for you iPhone going to Verizon degenerates

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2010/01...omm-evdo-chip/
    01-07-10 06:47 PM
    I hope Verizon gets an iPhone this summer and 99% defect to Verizon. That only means I'll get over 3+Mbps down with AT&T and Verizon users will get 56k. Verizon is slow as molasses to begin with so I can't imagine what millions of iPhones on their network will do. No simultaneous data and voice as well...I'll pass.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-07-10 at 07:25 PM.
    01-07-10 07:22 PM
    I hope Verizon gets an iPhone this summer and 99% defect to Verizon. That only means I'll get over 3+Mbps down with AT&T and Verizon users will get 56k. Verizon is slow as molasses to begin with so I can't imagine what millions of iPhones on their network will do. No simultaneous data and voice as well...I'll pass.
    I'm with you man, let them all leave for Big Red, then my 3G will be even faster then it is now. And we all know that att is the best when it comes to speed.
    01-07-10 07:43 PM
    Verizon is only slow on bbs unfortunately. I think safari would be pretty good but hey its win win for everyone. It is pretty unprofitable that apple would only have it one carrier
    01-07-10 11:31 PM
    Verizon is only slow on bbs unfortunately. I think safari would be pretty good but hey its win win for everyone. It is pretty unprofitable that apple would only have it one carrier
    No VZW's 3G is slower then ATT or even Sprint for that matter. VZW does have the most coverage but not the fastest network.
    01-08-10 01:32 AM
    Yeah I hope they get it as well. Because a bunch of AT&T users will switch to VZW and other VZW who wouldn't go to AT&T for the iPhone would get it then. Relieve AT&T's network of this. But the flipside to that, is that AT&T is expected to get some android and palm devices. So I wonder how that will affect everything. Most likely, I would stay with AT&T just because I'd be able to change phones easily with SIMs and have access to all the devices that are GSM. But I want the iPhone on every network. Just so I can switch whenever a carrier pisses me off
    01-08-10 08:49 AM
    Thats not accurate. IF you can get good 3G coverage with ATT you can realize around 1.5 to 2Mbs or so. If not then Verizon is still as fast or faster in alot of places. This is coming from real world testing that people have done. So in theory yes ATT has a faster network. But in most places people get 1-2Mbs on 3G. Verizon is consistently within that 1-2Mbs range too. I work in Jax and live in NE FL and I can say my EVDO speeds are consistently beating everyones iPhones (I know over 20 people personally with iPhone 3G or 3GS). Im always hitting 1.8 to 2Mbs while people with the iphone rarely reach 2Mbs. So in all your statement "Verizon is slow as molasses to begin with" is complete FUD. Oh lets not talk about latency. ATTs 3G suffers horribly from latency. All browser tests Ive done, my pages are halfway loaded before the persons iPhone is starting to show the page and really taking off loading. ALOT of ATT 3G users also complain of the latency (read non fanboy comments any other forum). Another area EVDO wins is upload. Not as important as download but still important nonetheless.

Here is just one pic I did of me and my friend comparing my Droid to his iPhone 3GS last week. This was done with multiple attempts and his best attempt. My attempts were all almost the same.

Look Im not an ATT hater, Ive had ATT in the past and still have a SIM with them that I use sometimes as well. I also may be picking up an iPhone for my business but when people post FUD like that without any proof or backing it up, well thats not cool.

01-08-10 10:35 AM
    Clearly you haven't heard of LTE or yu completely forgot about it. Do you honestly think VZW will release iPhone type device on 3G?
    01-08-10 11:04 AM
    Yeah I hope they get it as well. Because a bunch of AT&T users will switch to VZW and other VZW who wouldn't go to AT&T for the iPhone would get it then. Relieve AT&T's network of this. But the flipside to that, is that AT&T is expected to get some android and palm devices. So I wonder how that will affect everything. Most likely, I would stay with AT&T just because I'd be able to change phones easily with SIMs and have access to all the devices that are GSM. But I want the iPhone on every network. Just so I can switch whenever a carrier pisses me off
    I'm with you. I'm looking forward to trying out an Android on ATT.
    01-08-10 11:07 AM
    My results after Bell went HSPA!!

CDMA is much slower.
    01-08-10 02:42 PM
    My results after Bell went HSPA!!

CDMA is much slower.
    Hey Canuck, stay on your side of the border

Well of course with Bell and pretty much every other GSM provider outside of the US youll get amazing speeds. The US is lagging way behind with respects to cellular technology and networks. I hear the Aussies are pulling down 20Mbps
    01-08-10 04:45 PM
    1120 down and 320 up for me. Not bad. I will say that I am almost always on wi-fi when I am at home due to the fact that it is faster then anything.
    01-08-10 05:22 PM
    Hey Canuck, stay on your side of the border

Well of course with Bell and pretty much every other GSM provider outside of the US youll get amazing speeds. The US is lagging way behind with respects to cellular technology and networks. I hear the Aussies are pulling down 20Mbps
    LOL, I'll try to stay on my side of the border but I can't help it when I see benchmarks like this, I gotta post em

Actually Rogers in Canada also have similar low speed results to ATT, since they have not upgraded their speeds, so it's not just the US.

20Mbps is amazing but they only have a few thousand people living their hehe
    01-08-10 10:02 PM
    Clearly you haven't heard of LTE or yu completely forgot about it. Do you honestly think VZW will release iPhone type device on 3G?
    Dude LTE is two years away.. yea yea.. just because LTE will be available in how many cities this year? ouch.. n... please.
    01-09-10 12:20 PM
    Thats not accurate. IF you can get good 3G coverage with ATT you can realize around 1.5 to 2Mbs or so. If not then Verizon is still as fast or faster in alot of places. This is coming from real world testing that people have done. So in theory yes ATT has a faster network. But in most places people get 1-2Mbs on 3G. Verizon is consistently within that 1-2Mbs range too. I work in Jax and live in NE FL and I can say my EVDO speeds are consistently beating everyones iPhones (I know over 20 people personally with iPhone 3G or 3GS). Im always hitting 1.8 to 2Mbs while people with the iphone rarely reach 2Mbs. So in all your statement "Verizon is slow as molasses to begin with" is complete FUD. Oh lets not talk about latency. ATTs 3G suffers horribly from latency. All browser tests Ive done, my pages are halfway loaded before the persons iPhone is starting to show the page and really taking off loading. ALOT of ATT 3G users also complain of the latency (read non fanboy comments any other forum). Another area EVDO wins is upload. Not as important as download but still important nonetheless.

Here is just one pic I did of me and my friend comparing my Droid to his iPhone 3GS last week. This was done with multiple attempts and his best attempt. My attempts were all almost the same.

Look Im not an ATT hater, Ive had ATT in the past and still have a SIM with them that I use sometimes as well. I also may be picking up an iPhone for my business but when people post FUD like that without any proof or backing it up, well thats not cool.
    Consistent everyday where I live! Sidenote: that was a slooow day. Sidenote 2: notice the time.. many more users at 8PM than 11PM... yikes. I call it Fudonculous.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-09-10 at 12:27 PM.
    01-09-10 12:22 PM
    Yeah I hope they get it as well. Because a bunch of AT&T users will switch to VZW and other VZW who wouldn't go to AT&T for the iPhone would get it then. Relieve AT&T's network of this.
    LOL, It's not like current iPhone users will be taking theirs with them to VZW. And even if current users jump to a VZW compatible iPhone, I would imagine most of them would sell their old ones and the phone would still be sucking up AT&T bandwidth. It will really only affect the percentage of NEW iPhones being added to the congestion...
    01-09-10 12:49 PM
    Consistent everyday where I live! Sidenote: that was a slooow day. Sidenote 2: notice the time.. many more users at 8PM than 11PM... yikes. I call it Fudonculous.
    Right and those are good speeds. 2.1Mbps compared to my 1.9Mbps. The difference in speed is negligible and the claim that EVDO is slow as molasses is inaccurate.
    01-09-10 01:10 PM
    I know about 10 people waiting for verizon to get the iphone hopefully it's this year and let's hope it's as fast as the att's version
    01-09-10 01:15 PM
    Right and those are good speeds. 2.1Mbps compared to my 1.9Mbps. The difference in speed is negligible and the claim that EVDO is slow as molasses is inaccurate.
    It is where I live, VZW can have 100Mps down in Shady Oaks for all I care.. I don't live there so for the most part it doesn't do me any good. While I travel 1Mps down is fine with me.
    01-09-10 04:16 PM
    I know about 10 people waiting for verizon to get the iphone hopefully it's this year and let's hope it's as fast as the att's version
    I think NYC, SF and some cities are begging for the iPhone to go to another carrier (any) thus alleviating AT&T from the data curse of having the most popular phone in the world.
    01-09-10 04:24 PM
    I'm just shocked that Apple would keep AT&T with such low areas with 3g.
    01-11-10 01:20 PM
    Most medium to large cities in the US are covered with 3G via AT&T among others.
    01-11-10 02:52 PM
    And furthermore to the above, 75% of the population live in those big cities. Its a numbers game you cant possibly cover every single American across the board, so you pick and choose what is financially feasible. If you dont get coverage where you live thats why there are other carriers out there- competition. If VZW covers you where you live, great use them. I never understood these petty cellular coverage wars, the carrier you want simply cant cover every single person.

3/4 of the population is darn good coverage considering cellular data is still an infant if you think about it; 10 years ago cellular data was just starting up and widely available to the consumer
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-11-10 at 04:55 PM.
    01-11-10 04:52 PM
    to the original post/article, this could be a number of things. it could be the chipset/radio for the tablet rumored to be VZW. I really cant see a product like the iphone not using a dual-mode EVDO/HSPA chip, thyeve existed for quite some time (with European bands on CDMA phones, but still feasible).

I dont see the cost or other benefits for the iphone in using 2 completely separate chipsets in terms of uniformity which the iphone has always been uniform and thus easier to do programming, APIs, drivers etc for. A different chipset would completely fracture the iphone community and development
    01-12-10 01:30 AM
    I honestly feel if Verizon does get the iPhone maybe it will level the playing field and force both of them to lower plan prices....a price war.. here's to wishful thinking.
    01-12-10 08:15 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD