ran across this, thought I'd share.

Apple (AAPL) is planning to hold a product launch event in San Francisco on September 9, likely to talk about updates to the iPod line and to iTunes, according to sources cited by All Things D. Apparently not on the agenda: the much-rumored debut of a tablet PC. The post notes that there is no word yet on whether or not CEO Steve Jobs will preside at the event.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 12:40 AM
    Supposed topics: new iPod Touch with camera and iTunes 9

People are saying iTunes 9 will allow organizing apps on the iPhones screen using a computer, which will be nice, as well as Bluray and social network support.
    08-18-09 10:00 AM
    This has also got to be where they sneak in an announcement about MMS on AT&T too right? I mean, there would only be 13 days left in summer after this.

Oh yeah wait, I forgot... Big companies like to lie through their teeth all the time.
    08-18-09 03:23 PM
    Ooh i really hope the iTouch+camera is true. And social networking on itunes would be pretty cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 05:31 PM
    I've also heard of the addition of the camera to the iPod Touch. And something about the successor to Coverflow? And the all-elusive iTablet thing.

I personally find it somewhat amusing that they are holding it on the 9th, just a week early of Microsoft's release date for the Zune HD. Trying to undercut competitor sales a bit eh, Apple?

Newegg.com is already sold out of its quantity of 16 GB Zune HDs. I was one of the lucky ones that got my pre-order in. Apple might have some real competition on its hands here.
    08-18-09 08:37 PM
    Yeah , apple was smart by doing it on the 9th only issue , is they are losing MAJOR sales sitting around with there teeth in their mouth , while microsoft is racking in the $$$$ with all the pre orders , especially with like 78 % of the total stock that went out for pre orders , is already pre ordered .
    08-18-09 08:41 PM
    iPods are around 75-80% of the market share of the portable audio player industry. They are not in ANY danger of reliquenishing that title. Maybe in the distant future, but Apple has some great programmers and developers there, they will respond.

On a side note, the Zune HD does look pretty cool. Might check one out, even though I have an iPhone.
    08-18-09 09:05 PM
    Yeah , apple was smart by doing it on the 9th only issue , is they are losing MAJOR sales sitting around with there teeth in their mouth , while microsoft is racking in the $$$$ with all the pre orders , especially with like 78 % of the total stock that went out for pre orders , is already pre ordered .
    I don't know if 78% is true, but if it is, damn... It sure seems that way though. I would like to see what Apple does with the iPod. Seems like the camera might be the only real thing they can do. Not like they'll change its UI any time soon...

Isn't the expression more along the lines of "thumbs in their mouths"? Everyone's got teeth in their mouths...

iPods are around 75-80% of the market share of the portable audio player industry. They are not in ANY danger of reliquenishing that title. Maybe in the distant future, but Apple has some great programmers and developers there, they will respond.

On a side note, the Zune HD does look pretty cool. Might check one out, even though I have an iPhone.
    No doubt about that in the short-term. I personally feel that it's because of their ability to drown out their competition with their advertising.

If you go to a brick-and-mortar store, you see all the iPod line perfectly on display with something loaded up so you can play with them. Most of the employees working the MP3 player area have one to show off too. However, all the other brands aren't so lucky. I've seen them without any loaded content, stuck on a "please sync" screen, or just not fed power.

There are plenty of DAPs out there that does its main job better than the iPod, playing great sounding music (though it's a subjective thing). Only thing Apple's got going for the iPod in terms of just raw features is being iPhone Lite.
    Last edited by Zipster; 08-18-09 at 09:30 PM.
    08-18-09 09:12 PM
    Yeah, I am very excited to see what will happen on the 9th. It would seem like MMS would be a thing to announce and not just implement.
    08-20-09 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD