I'm going to assume this would not happen with a Blackberry:

iPhones frozen by hackers demanding ransom - Telegraph

This lends support to my philosophy that if everyone owned one type of phone, how vulnerable society would be to disruption from one source.
    05-27-14 01:03 PM
    Yeah sad news, I haven't heard of that one till yesterday.
    05-27-14 01:12 PM
    I'm going to assume this would not happen with a Blackberry:

iPhones frozen by hackers demanding ransom - Telegraph

This lends support to my philosophy that if everyone owned one type of phone, how vulnerable society would be to disruption from one source.
    This is kind of a funny story, but I actually done that to my little brother's BlackBerry a few years ago. I didn't extort him for money, although maybe I could have. I used it to teach him a lesson about why you shouldn't use the same password for everything. I logged in, changed his password and locked his phone with a message explaining what I had done all using his BlackBerry Protect account.

He was pretty freaked out by it, but my plan worked as far as I know. Or at least it caused him to change all of his passwords as soon as I gave him his new Protect account password.
    05-27-14 01:15 PM
    This is kind of a funny story, but I actually done that to my little brother's BlackBerry a few years ago. I didn't extort him for money, although maybe I could have. I used it to teach him a lesson about why you shouldn't use the same password for everything. I logged in, changed his password and locked his phone with a message explaining what I had done all using his BlackBerry Protect account.

He was pretty freaked out by it, but my plan worked as far as I know. Or at least it caused him to change all of his passwords as soon as I gave him his new Protect account password.
    But you knew his BlackBerry Protect password?

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    05-27-14 01:21 PM
    But you knew his BlackBerry Protect password?

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that is what is happening to the iPhones here. The hacker is getting people's information one way or the other and is using the Find my iPhone feature to lock them out of their phone. Exactly like what I did with my brother's BlackBerry and BlackBerry Protect.
    05-27-14 01:28 PM
    I wouldn't say never.
    Raddin likes this.
    05-27-14 01:29 PM
    Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that is what is happening to the iPhones here. The hacker is getting people's information one way or the other and is using the Find my iPhone feature to lock them out of their phone. Exactly like what I did with my brother's BlackBerry and BlackBerry Protect.
    Okay, so I guess the comparison here is between the security of the servers where BlackBerry ID information is stored and the servers where Apple ID information is stored.

So if s/he has somehow grabbed hold of all or a lot of Apple ID and password information from the central source, then iOS users should be worried right? Apple ID is linked to credit card information, address, etc too. iCloud accounts can also be compromised, which can contain sensitive documents. Probably unlikely since it would be too much individual devices but still scary when chosen as a target for extortion such as fortune 500 executives, religious leaders, and elected government officials.

As well, I know the iPhone 5S fingerprint reader supposedly doesn't store fingerprint images in the cloud, but can you imagine if it really did? Haha

Which begs the question: how vulnerable are BlackBerry servers in case of an attack?

05-27-14 01:51 PM
    05-27-14 02:21 PM