Okay so I did the unthinkable. My phone already fell into water

I quickly got it out. I was washing my hands and my phone slipped into submerged water.. I quickly powered it off but what damage have I done?

I dried it off very quickly, problem is when I power it on it comes up with an "Accessory is not optimized for this device"

What have I done? Im at work so I don't have rice
    08-26-10 10:24 AM
    DO NOT POWER IT ON!!! Leave it off and let it dry for a couple of days. You could try a hand dryer for a bit near the dock connector and then stick it in bowl of rice when you get home. Pop out the SIM and SIM tray too.

The message you're getting is probably because some dock connector contacts are touching water, the phone is waiting for a reply from a chip. Once it dries, it should be ok. I've dropped about a dozen phones into water. I guess I'm a bit clumsy, but they've all survived as long as I've waited it out.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-26-10 at 10:31 AM.
    08-26-10 10:27 AM
    DO NOT POWER IT ON!!! Leave it off and let it dry for a couple of days. You could try a hand dryer for a bit near the dock connector and then stick it in bowl of rice when you get home. Pop out the SIM and SIM tray too.

The message you're getting is probably because some dock connector contacts are touching water, the phone is waiting for a reply from a chip. Once it dries, it should be ok. I've dropped about a dozen phones into water. I guess I'm a bit clumsy, but they've all survived as long as I've waited it out.
    It seems to be working fine now. THe connector I guess dried out.

It didn't stay in water long I would imagine it's pretty tight as far as water induction.

Now the big question - Is there anything I can look for that would tell AT&T/Apple it got wet? People talk of Sensors and I know there is that paper - where can I tell if it got it wet long enough to record it?
    08-26-10 12:11 PM
    Edit - I read somewhere that there is a pink piece of paper from behind the screen that usually will glow if there is water damage done to the phone. They said it will glow even if the phone is off. Truth to this?

Source: It got wet!!! - iPhone 4 Forum
    08-26-10 12:21 PM
    Edit - I read somewhere that there is a pink piece of paper from behind the screen that usually will glow if there is water damage done to the phone. They said it will glow even if the phone is off. Truth to this?

Source: It got wet!!! - iPhone 4 Forum
    There's a few water sensors. Once is inside the headphone jack. Another is somewhere near the dock. There's should also be another one on the mainboard somewhere. It doesn't glow, it turns red.
    08-26-10 12:44 PM
    There's a few water sensors. Once is inside the headphone jack. Another is somewhere near the dock. There's should also be another one on the mainboard somewhere. It doesn't glow, it turns red.
    Yeah I see the one on the dock also - Again no reddish pink color. So now I'm trying to figure out am I just lucky or ?? I mean clearly it got water on the dock connector hence why I got the accessory msg. So why isn't the paper turned?> Those papers should turn instant.
    08-26-10 12:53 PM
    Water is tricky, you could have an accumulative effect, I would be leery of using it until I let it dry for at least a day, and as Roo said in rice. Not trying to get in your business, just trying to help.
    08-26-10 02:15 PM
    Water is tricky, you could have an accumulative effect, I would be leery of using it until I let it dry for at least a day, and as Roo said in rice. Not trying to get in your business, just trying to help.
    No I appreciate the feedback. Ive been very timid of using it. Like I said it got submerged Ive been watching the litmus papers and trying to look for dried up water dots. As much as I'd like to say the phone is sealed shut. It can't be ... or can it?
    08-26-10 02:18 PM
    Well so far ticking away just fine. No lag or anything. Im affraid to say I survived but the papers have not turned pink, no glows from the ear phone hole. I don't know how its possible? I really dont

I do have the defender case on now though. Holy BULK.. It tuned an itty bitty phone into like a CInder Block!
    08-27-10 05:25 AM
    Well so far ticking away just fine. No lag or anything. Im affraid to say I survived but the papers have not turned pink, no glows from the ear phone hole. I don't know how its possible? I really dont

I do have the defender case on now though. Holy BULK.. It tuned an itty bitty phone into like a CInder Block!
    That's why I don't care who designed it, or how it looks, aside from functional considerations. Its worth $500-$900, so it's going to have a case on it anyway.

Sorry Johnny Ive.
    08-27-10 05:36 AM
    That's why I don't care who designed it, or how it looks, aside from functional considerations. Its worth $500-$900, so it's going to have a case on it anyway.

Sorry Johnny Ive.
    Well the options for cases with belt clips are pretty narrow. It was the Ottorbox or Seido and ottorbox has a name behind them. I will say with the ottorbox, I don't think anything is going to harm this thing and I feel pretty confident with it on. It just adds a lot of bulk.
    08-27-10 05:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD