I've got a 4S, one gmail account, and an iMac. I finally figured out why my old email was staying on the Mac after deletion (I have to hit Mail Account and then empty deleted items). That got rid of 3000 old emails in the Mac. But on the 4S it still shows 3000 emails under All Mail. What's the best way to deal with that? Thanks in advance, the email thing is confusing. On the Mac there's Trash, there's another Trash under the Gmail tab, there All Mail, Spam. Kind of a confusing email app.
    06-12-12 11:14 AM
    Log into gmail, click on trash and empty the trash. Has to be done in the gmail web interface. The folders you see are the Gmail IMAP folder system. "All mail" is everything, inbox, trash, archived etc all in one horrible place. Unfortunately its not a Mac or iOS issue.
    06-12-12 01:08 PM
    Thanks, I didn't realize that about Gmail. How can I most easily get rid of all of that crap without checking the box next to every single one of those thousands of messages. Tell me there's a way to quickly select the whole bunch easily, because I can't find one.
    06-13-12 02:40 PM
    On your PC - Go to gmail in your web browser click on the trash and near the top will be a hyperlink that says empty trash now. that will delete everything out of the trash.

Then, on your iPhone safari browser go to m.google.com/sync. Sign in and find your iPhone in the resulting list. Check the box that enables delete email as trash for this device.

This will delete email immediately and permanently rather than having it in your "all mail" archive.

I hope this helps.
    06-13-12 02:51 PM
    There is one other thing. Depending on how you set up Gmail on your iPhone there can be an option in settings/mail to delete email as trash or archive email when it's deleted, you want the delete email as trash option. I believe it's a toggle switch. If you set up Gmail as an exchange account I don't believe you'll see this switch
    06-13-12 02:57 PM
    There is one other thing. Depending on how you set up Gmail on your iPhone there can be an option in settings/mail to delete email as trash or archive email when it's deleted, you want the delete email as trash option. I believe it's a toggle switch. If you set up Gmail as an exchange account I don't believe you'll see this switch
    I didn't set up Gmail as an exchange accout. I don't have that option in my phone.
    When I type in m.google.com/synch in the phone it won't let me do anything until I go there from my Mac.
    06-15-12 02:46 PM
    m.google.com/sync

I was working under the assumption you were in the United States, it may be different where you are.
    06-15-12 03:36 PM
    I'm in the United States. I get the impression that in order to synch the phone with gmail the first step is to configure it in my Mac. I must do that before I can open it on my phone. Does that make sense?
    06-19-12 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD