I have a song that I made into a ringtone. It sounds really good playing the ringtone on iTunes, it doesn't sound even close on the device. Sort of too much treble and a little tinny. It's the first 30 seconds of James Taylor's "Mexico", and JT sort of sounds like a hint of Mickey Mouse.

I set it on Rock, thinking I'd get more bass. Then Acoustic since it's a guitar intro, it didn't make much difference. Then Bass Booster, that helped some. Deep sounds a hair better than Bass Booster. So then I tried my other one, Mellencamp's "Check It Out". It was worse still.

I would attribute it to quality degradation when the iRinger software converted it, but both sound really good in iTunes.

Any thoughts?
    10-26-11 07:15 PM
    Use iTunes to convert the file. Just google use iTunes to make ringtones iPhone. Pretty easy.
    10-26-11 07:38 PM
    Hi guys. I had to create a few rt's for my daughters iP4 in July and these are the directions I used and they worked perfectly and sound good too.

OSX daily iTunes create rt's
    10-26-11 08:05 PM
    I tried before in iTunes 10 using steps I found somewhere but got blocked by the protected copyright warning.
    I did the steps at P1nkD1am0nds's link, which was a little different from what I tried before, and did not get the warning. (Thank you for the link, P1nk )

But I'm stuck near one of the last steps, removing from Playlist. Instructions say 'Remove but do not Delete' from playlist. So far I can't find a way to remove without deleting.
    10-27-11 02:48 AM
    I tried before in iTunes 10 using steps I found somewhere but got blocked by the protected copyright warning.
    I did the steps at P1nkD1am0nds's link, which was a little different from what I tried before, and did not get the warning. (Thank you for the link, P1nk )

But I'm stuck near one of the last steps, removing from Playlist. Instructions say 'Remove but do not Delete' from playlist. So far I can't find a way to remove without deleting.
    Hmmmm....ok, I'm not sure what the step was. I did them back in July which was mths ago. I'll try to rem by opening iTunes and 'run' thru the steps to try to recall what I did lol. Of course if I come up with the solution il post it for you BUT in the meantime, hopefully someone who does this on iTunes all the time may post the answer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-11 06:30 AM
    Ok, periwinklemoon, i just went throught the steps and created a rt. Now, i'm on a Win7, so IDK if that may make a difference for you. So i followed all the instructions up to "create aac" From there, locate the clip in the iTUnes list.
    --RIGHT click on the clip you created and choose 'show in windows explorer'
    --From there, WE will open, find your clip and convert it from m4a to "m4r"

Once you see the extension file is converted, go back into iTUnes to menu on the top left -- scroll down to 'ringtones' and your clip should be in there. thats how mine worked. then you can usb your iP and sync it in !!

hope this will help you
    periwinklemoon likes this.
    10-27-11 08:00 AM
    PinkD: Thank you so much for your time and effort!

Well, I got it after a whole bunch of file searching and shuffling. I don't think iTunes 10 likes XP much (yeah, 'XP is 10 yrs old, get with the times' )

I still hear a difference between Mexico played on device Music app and Mexico played on device as a ringtone, and both came straight from iTunes. The ringtone version is better done within iTunes rather than iRinger, but still has a bit of a tinny sound to it. Weird...
    10-27-11 09:11 AM
    PinkD: Thank you so much for your time and effort!

Well, I got it after a whole bunch of file searching and shuffling. I don't think iTunes 10 likes XP much (yeah, 'XP is 10 yrs old, get with the times' )

I still hear a difference between Mexico played on device Music app and Mexico played on device as a ringtone, and both came straight from iTunes. The ringtone version is better done within iTunes rather than iRinger, but still has a bit of a tinny sound to it. Weird...
    YaY !! Glad you got it worked out periwinkle !! Glad to help out
    I also have an XP but didn't boot it up cuz it takes ions to get going LOL so I feel your pain there. When I finally do get my iP4S, I will have no choice but to use my XP also till I get all my music files tranferred to my win7 laptop. I just need to find time to deal with that lol.

As for the tinny sound, hmmm, only other thing I could suggest which I believe you've tried already, is to adjust your settings on your iP itself to the best sound you can get.

periwinklemoon likes this.
    10-27-11 09:18 AM
    As for the tinny sound, hmmm, only other thing I could suggest which I believe you've tried already, is to adjust your settings on your iP itself to the best sound you can get.

Yes, unless someone else has run into this I guess I'll keep fiddling with it. The ringtone sound isn't terrible, but would be nice if it sounded as good as it does through the music app.

I never used iTunes much before other than buy music, press Play All this syncing, tweaking is throwing me off. (Plus now I have to locate missing files that were once there, but that's another post for another time. )
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    10-27-11 09:57 AM
    Yes, unless someone else has run into this I guess I'll keep fiddling with it. The ringtone sound isn't terrible, but would be nice if it sounded as good as it does through the music app.

I never used iTunes much before other than buy music, press Play All this syncing, tweaking is throwing me off. (Plus now I have to locate missing files that were once there, but that's another post for another time. )
    ya know perwinkle, i thought about this a little bit--perhaps its not your iP settings in this case, maybe its just the way they 'recorded' the song? I do know what song your talking (mexico-JT) about and it is from a little bit back-so that could be a possibility
    just an added thought so you dont drive yourself crazy lol.
    10-28-11 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD