I have an iphone 4 and am trying to sync up a few MPEG videos.

they will not sync up. Do I need to convert them to a different file.

Second

I have a gmail and a yahoo mail acount hooked up to the device. The Yahoo emails pop up right away , like my blackberry did. My Gmail account will not do so my settings are set to fetch every 15 minutes , I have push enabled but the mail wont " push " it needs to be fetched. Is there a fix for this ?

Thanks
    09-21-10 11:03 PM
    1. Yes, you will need to transcode them into H.264 or Quicktime. You can use transcoding programs like Handbrake or Mediacoder to do it. It's pretty simple, but takes time. A two hour HD movie can take like.... an hour. I usually do it before I go to sleep and let the computer do it while I'm sleeping.

2. You need to set up your Gmail account as EXCHANGE to use Google Mobile Sync. Here are instructions:

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

Setting it up this way will also enable you to sync/push multiple folders (found in email options on iPhone). If you use labels on Gmail (labels show up as folders in Exchange) to skip the inbox and presort your email, you might want to take advantage of this. It will also enable you to sync calendars and contacts, although contact syncing with iPhone and Gmail can get ugly if some settings are not correct.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-21-10 at 11:33 PM.
    09-21-10 11:23 PM
    I downloaded handbrake

it gives me an error it says your source may be copy protected, badly mastered or in a format that handbrake does on support.

I have MPEG files

Should they be converted into something else before be converted to the format you mentoned above.

Thanks
    09-22-10 12:43 AM
    Try downloading VLC Player. Handbrake uses VLC Player to transcode files iDevices understand.
    09-22-10 06:40 AM
    h8vzw is correct. Your computer might not have all the necessary codecs, downloading VLC player should install them.
    09-22-10 09:53 AM
    Still having issues

getting same error i noted above.

Is there a way to convert to quicktime files, I read that the iphone reads quicktime movies .

is there a MPEG to Quicktime convertor that anyone has any experience with ?

thanks
    09-22-10 08:14 PM
    Try Mediacoder.
    09-22-10 08:17 PM
    Are you using Windows or a Mac? On a Mac, with Handbrake and VLC Player, there are no issues. After formatting, simply drag and drop to iTunes, and sync.

If you use Windows, you may have to use decryption software before it can be formatted for your iDevice.

I use a Mac. Enough said.
    09-23-10 05:53 AM
    You shouldn't use Quicktime to encode your movies. It takes up significantly more space than H.264.
    09-23-10 10:33 AM
    I have a PC, dont know why but I do.

I have tried to get it to work but still no luck.

I tunes wont recognize the file, i tried mediacoder, it was sucessful but still wont work w/ itunes. I also tried handbrake after mediacoder but no luck.

I wish I had a mac, still have to learn them.

Are there any fixes for us PC dinosaurs

Thanks
    09-23-10 09:11 PM
    You have to add the file to iTunes library. In the file menu, select "add folder to library." Then select the folder the file is in. Once you do that, the movie should show up under the "movies" section.
    09-23-10 09:19 PM
    Thanks Roo

I tried that and I also tried to add file.

It worked once and posted in the movie section but an error came up when I synced. It said itunes does not play this type of file.

Are there any setting on mediacoder that need to be set for PC ?

Thanks for help Im sure we will get it

Any input would help

Thanks
    09-23-10 10:07 PM
    Did you download Mediacoder for iPhone/iPod? It's much much easier to use that version than the standard one. Here's a link to the download page. Just set it for iPad or iPod or iPhone in the resolution you want. If I transcode HD, I usually just keep it at 720, otherwise I drop it to 480x320.

MediaCoder iPod/iPhone/iPad Edition | Best free video converter iPod/iPhone/iPad | GPU/CUDA accelerated H.264 encoding for iPod/iPhone/iPad
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-23-10 at 11:49 PM.
    09-23-10 10:19 PM
    all issues resolved

Now the battery is only lasting 14 hrs w/ average use

Thanks everone for the help
    09-27-10 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD