So I am looking for input on two things I would love to have (maybe already do?) on my new iPhone 4S. I don't want to get into a hardware debase but there are three software features that I would KILL for on the iPhone.

Full text email search - I have used the search screen with no results. It only will search the sender or the title of the email. On a BB I could find specific emails on any keyword. Pretty important to most users, huge hole in iOS5 in my opinion. Is there an app for this? Maybe I'm not using search properly?

Recent items tagged to contact record - If I brought up a contact in my address book on BB, I could see all my most recent interactions with them, calls, emails, texts, etc. A nice feature that I used more than I thought. Would be nice to have back.

Collapsed call history - this wold be really nice. When looking through the recents in the iPhone, it lists everything as a line item. Why? Just put it under a single name then let me click in and see what happened. I don't want to scroll through pages after page.

Anyone got a fix or recommendation for the above questions? I'd love to hear what everyone else is missing now that many of us have lived with our new phone for a few weeks.
    Last edited by mikos; 11-01-11 at 12:20 AM.
    10-31-11 11:47 PM
    Easy! I would love to have an led notification. That's the one feature that I find myself missing often.
    10-31-11 11:54 PM
    Easy! I would love to have an led notification. That's the one feature that I find myself missing often.
    +1. That's the only think I miss.
    11-01-11 04:27 AM
    Battery pulls and frozen software
    11-01-11 05:31 AM
    You forgot the wonderful browser experience.
    11-01-11 05:33 AM
    i miss my 9930 bricking on me twice in a 1 month period and having to reload everything...for no reason LoL did you see Kevin wrote about this yesterday...
    11-01-11 08:51 AM
    Battery pulls and frozen software
    I would love to pull the battery out of my ipad (or iphone) to reset it. But alas I just have to resort to resetting it.

Too bad you can't change the battery in the field.

And I miss the great email handling of my BB.
    11-01-11 09:44 AM
    Direct access to Contacts # > Phone:
    On the BB, tapping in the first few letters of a Contact's name will pull up matches from Address Book. Highlight > Click gives you direct dial ability. In iPhone, no such ability even in Phone app (either set a Favorite or scroll), while the iPhone's search bar will do the matches, but will just take you back to Contacts and then you click again to start the dial.

Mail - in app ability to do attachments: and not have to fart about - counter-intuitively - in other apps to start an email from them (ie Photos and Pages) and then, with only one attachment per email.
    3rd Party apps (like Docs2Go) allow multiple file attachments in emails started from them, but still, any replies to emails requesting attachments mean wanking about with cut and paste.

Notification light: now possible in iOS 5 via the Accessibility settings, if you don't mind a honking great flash strobe going off (using the camera's flash) - on the wrong side of the device.

11-01-11 12:55 PM
    I honestly don't miss the LED notifications. As someone said in another thread, I don't feel like a slave to that blinking light!

I would however, like to be able to add attachments while composing an email message, rather than have to go into the actual app (like Photos) to add the attachment. And being able to add multiple attachments would be super.

That's about it. I'm in iLove with my iPhone.
    sj-performance likes this.
    11-01-11 01:10 PM
    I honestly don't miss the LED notifications. As someone said in another thread, I don't feel like a slave to that blinking light!

I would however, like to be able to add attachments while composing an email message, rather than have to go into the actual app (like Photos) to add the attachment. And being able to add multiple attachments would be super.

you pretty much sum it up for me. thats exactly how i feel at the moment with my recent switch from 9930 to iphone 4s. im not a slave anymore to the blinking light nor a slave to a phone. im no longer worried whats going on BBM and peoples status change...thats like another world. with my iphone i still feel connected but i feel i have better control of it. playing tons of games with my friends who have iphones..imessaging...facebook...txts...etc. but i dont feel the urge to be checking my phone every single minutes nor stare it while its laying there on my desk at my office or work. the iphone has served me well as a personal/media/play tool and honestly a great work tool. im very impressed and glad i switched. i cant wait for ios5 on iphone 4s to be jailbroken to make this awesome phone even better. i also believe apple will eventually release an update to fix battery issues some of us are having.
    11-01-11 01:20 PM

I really like the blinking light, I can keep it on a desk during a meeting and the light tells me if I get an important email without vibrating or beeping. This is important because there are some emails I have to respond to quickly.
    11-01-11 01:58 PM

That would require file system access from the mail app....and unfortunately we ain't getting that.
    11-01-11 02:10 PM

I share the same sentiments with you regarding the LED light. It was very useful for me but
    I really did find myself looking too often.

And I really, really wish we would get file access without having to jailbreak. But as already
    mentioned, no way Apple will give us that.
    11-01-11 02:47 PM

I found this thread about sending multiple photos:
    How do I put multiple pictures in an email? | iPhone and iPad Forums
    11-01-11 02:48 PM
    I miss my random reboots, blackberry outages, and daily battery pulls. oh i almost forgot the super fast browser.
    periwinklemoon likes this.
    11-01-11 08:02 PM

That's not the sole purpose of the led light, it also lets you know if you have signal or not. Not a blackberry thing though, my first ever mobile phone had it in 1996 or so, the Alcatel even had the option to put 3 AA batteries in it, now that's something that i want to see coming back, maybe using AAA
    11-02-11 04:45 AM
    That's not the sole purpose of the led light, it also lets you know if you have signal or not. Not a blackberry thing though, my first ever mobile phone had it in 1996 or so, the Alcatel even had the option to put 3 AA batteries in it, now that's something that i want to see coming back, maybe using AAA
    That's the first thing most people turn off as soon as they get a new BlackBerry

Oh man, batteries in cell phones; those were the days. The big problem I see today is most people like/want super thin phones: even triple As are bulky.
    11-02-11 06:34 AM
    There's a certain calm feeling from this phone settling in, not having the BB light show. It minds it's own business while minding mine and doesn't get in my face. Definitely not clenching my jaw as much. Creates sort of a device-related zen state.

I'm personally having trouble adapting to the text display. It's ok for casual chat, but I also receive a lot of business-related texts. When shown in a string of bubbles it throws me off.

Edit: And the clock. Not warming up to it at all. A weird quirk perhaps, but I loved the BB clock with analog face. Wish there was an i4S app like that, haven't found one yet that I like.

(belfast, love your signature. )
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 11-02-11 at 06:56 AM.
    11-02-11 06:47 AM
    That's the first thing most people turn off as soon as they get a new BlackBerry

Oh man, batteries in cell phones; those were the days. The big problem I see today is most people like/want super thin phones: even triple As are bulky.
    Yeah, I turn it off too but for 2 main reasons, one I drive quite often at nights and it's distracting and two, I'm color blind lol, in the right(or maybe wrong) conditions I can't tell if it's green or red

My wife though, she would have a panic attack if she would see that green light not blinking

I think an industry standard should be forced on manufacturers when it comes to batteries, or maybe a few set standards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-11 07:00 AM
    There's a certain calm feeling from this phone settling in, not having the BB light show. It minds it's own business while minding mine and doesn't get in my face. Definitely not clenching my jaw as much. Creates sort of a device-related zen state.

I'm personally having trouble adapting to the text display. It's ok for casual chat, but I also receive a lot of business-related texts. When shown in a string of bubbles it throws me off.

Edit: And the clock. Not warming up to it at all. A weird quirk perhaps, but I loved the BB clock with analog face. Wish there was an i4S app like that, haven't found one yet that I like.

(belfast, love your signature. )
    On the other hand iphone owners are always slooow to reply to emails or texts

anon(73368) likes this.
    11-02-11 07:06 AM
    On the other hand iphone owners are always slooow to reply to emails or texts

Nah, not me, I'm on it
    11-02-11 08:34 AM
    If the iphone had a notification light, it would be perfect. I probably would have purchased one a year ago. It is a very useful function for my lifestyle.
    11-03-11 10:51 AM
    I would absolutely agree with you. Just the amazing ease of use, super fluid display between switching apps, OMG... it's just great and very calming knowing that it works like a dream.
    pilsbury likes this.
    11-03-11 11:20 AM
    I would absolutely agree with you. Just the amazing ease of use, super fluid display between switching apps, OMG... it's just great and very calming knowing that it works like a dream.
    I clearly have a love hate relationship with IOS. Today is a day it's a hate relationship and I am not calm when it doesn't work like me and I can't do what I need to do.
    11-03-11 12:18 PM
    ^ i7guy, what issue are you having?
    11-03-11 12:42 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD