Lets see, as of lately VZW has released

1) "A map for that" ad campaign CLEARLY mocking the "app for that" and the iphone

2) Verizon asks 'if the iDoesn't, what does?'

Now obviously going after the iphone and "what it cant do."

You REALLY think Apple is going to take lightly to this and make a CDMA iphone? YOURE NUTS! Rumor DONE, no need for anymore VZW+iphone threads.
    10-17-09 02:20 PM
    It really doesn't matter. Verizon has been doing fine without the iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 02:31 PM
    youre right it doesnt, but all these VZW getting the iphone threads are getting old as itll never happen anytime soon, especially after this new anti-Apple ad campaign.
    10-17-09 02:34 PM
    That's meaningless. That's an ad campaign to sell current devices. IF/WHEN they do get the iPhone, they'll sing it's praises then. And if the moneys right, Apple will put any radio in it that will fit.
    If VZW doesn't get it, it will be because At&t realizes it's the only thing keeping them alive and tops any amount Verzion offers.

That's my 2� anyway. I have no desire to have an iPhone, nor will I ever be a VZW zombie.
    10-17-09 02:38 PM
    Let's all agree that odds are (not saying it won't happen sooner, but better chances that it won't than it will) that Verizon WILL NOT get an iPhone until LTE is sufficiently rolled out. That means no 2010, because LTE will only be in a handful of cities, and would still need CDMA to fall back on.

My guess is a Verizon iPhone won't happen until mid-2011 at the earliest. Early 2012 seems more likely.
    10-17-09 02:42 PM
    Sounds to me more like VZW and Apple couldnt come to an agreement and VZW is throwing a temper tantrum having to go after the iphone to gain business. If their product/phones are that good they should speak for itself without sleazy tactics like these. You wanna go after ATT's 3g coverage, go ahead, but WTF does Apple or the iphone have to do with it? The "map for that" campaign is just a low blow to Apple when it needs to be at ATT who provides the service.

We all know Jobs is stubborn, if someone is publicly insulting his product he isnt going to do business with them even if they money is a little better than what ATT offers. Apple's image is worth more to them then some extra money. Their image and word of mouth is what sells their product. After all, the iphone wouldnt be half of what it is without the Apple image and friends showing/telling friends...
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-17-09 at 02:47 PM.
    10-17-09 02:42 PM
    Sounds to me more like VZW and Apple couldnt come to an agreement and VZW is throwing a temper tantrum having to go after the iphone to gain business.
    That may very well be true for the exact reason I said. At&t keeps coming over the top to keep it.
    10-17-09 02:46 PM
    The iPhone won't be heading to VZ anytime soon. This is why Google and VZ agreed to develop phones together. ATT has the contract set for more years to come.
    10-17-09 03:17 PM
    Yea these commercials are pretty funny. People still want the iPhone and Verizon won't stop them from getting it.

10-17-09 04:24 PM
    Now that the commercial was released, some pretty weak points

iDon’t have a real keyboard- REALLY VZW?!? What are you going to say about your flagship BB Storm 2 in a few weeks then? Recant your idiotic soft keyboard diss?

iDon’t run simultaneous apps: Sure it does, ipod, mail, safari, phone, etc. Maybe not 3rd party apps without jailbreak but of course left those "little" details out.

iDon’t take night shots: Really? Take you BB Curve with its tiny LED flash into a pitch black room and show me the pic you get if its even usable. Its a laughable negligible point at best

iDon’t allow open development: THIS is the kicker for me. The same company that locked own bluetooth and gps and cuts WIFI out of their devices. Lets not forget stripping the BB and WM app stores out in favor of their own owned and controlled VZW app store. Sounds open huh?

iDon’t customize- give that one

iDon’t run widgets: weather and stocks are technically "widgets," but homescreen widgets I guess they get that one.

iDon’t have a removable battery- ill give them this one, but its really preference. there are plenty of charging solutions besides a spare battery (battery-case like Morphie, or one that clips onto the port on the iphone).

Pretty weak points IMO, and a few are quite contradictory to VZW's own stance and business model.
    10-17-09 10:34 PM
    i think they were just poking fun at the iphone because its att's flagship phone

the iphone is the only reason to go to at&t.
    the coverage is the only reason to go to Verizon.

they probably will merge soon. Apple is all about making money, and while they have made it fold after fold with the iphone, the millions of dedicated rural customers that would like to be posh and savvy with their iphone can still bring in more 2-year contract money.
    10-17-09 10:39 PM
    Either way, we've seen this viral marketing before with the Instinct, Storm, and Pre and they ALL failed in comparison to the iphone. Instinct was essentially a flop and a poor feature set and UI, Storm has tons of issues as anyone can see from these forums, and the Pre has been less then stellar. All "iphone killers"

I dont see this being any different. Ask any "non-geek" what an Android is and they wont know. Ask what an iphone is and every man woman and child knows. All the slam ads out there wont change that.
    10-17-09 10:56 PM
    I guess it's to be expected. I was hoping that Verizon would carry the iPhone so that consumers would have more options. Don't get me wrong, I am vey happy with AT&T, but if I were ever unhappy with their service or move to an area that is outside of their coverage I would feel better knowing that I can still have an iPhone on another carrier. It looks like this won't be the case. I'm not going to get into what carrier is better because it doesn't concern me. Whether my carrier has the most subscribers or the least doesn't really capture my interest. But it seems like very good news for AT&T. Regardless of anyone's opinions about them, if you want the iPhone, you have to go through them. That is a huge advantage.
    10-17-09 11:06 PM
    VZW is only mocking it because they can't have it. Like in sports you hate a guy when he plays for the other team but when he's on your team you love him.
    10-19-09 09:06 AM
    I guess it's to be expected. I was hoping that Verizon would carry the iPhone so that consumers would have more options. Don't get me wrong, I am vey happy with AT&T, but if I were ever unhappy with their service or move to an area that is outside of their coverage I would feel better knowing that I can still have an iPhone on another carrier. It looks like this won't be the case. I'm not going to get into what carrier is better because it doesn't concern me. Whether my carrier has the most subscribers or the least doesn't really capture my interest. But it seems like very good news for AT&T. Regardless of anyone's opinions about them, if you want the iPhone, you have to go through them. That is a huge advantage.
    I agree with you. If it was up to me each carrier would have every phone. This exclusive agreements are just made to limit the consumer choices and make sure they make money. The carriers know that devices are a big reason consumer select a carrier. So if you can have good service and good devices that are exclusive to you then they love that. I hope the government does step in there and take a look at this agreements for the benefit of the consumer.
    10-19-09 09:12 AM
    We've always had exclusivity... at first I was against it, but how would carriers be able to compete if they didn't have that? If Verizon got all the good phones, who would want to switch over to AT&T, Sprint or T-mobile.

I don't think the gov't will get into it because they stand to make more money with these deals. You'll find a lot of users on two or more carriers, one (or more) for a personal phone and the other usually for work vs. having both on the same carrier and on a family plan. More plans means more taxes.

I would rather see it on T-mobile before Verizon.
    10-19-09 11:15 AM
    10-19-09 12:11 PM
    Sounds to me more like VZW and Apple couldnt come to an agreement and VZW is throwing a temper tantrum having to go after the iphone to gain business. If their product/phones are that good they should speak for itself without sleazy tactics like these. You wanna go after ATT's 3g coverage, go ahead, but WTF does Apple or the iphone have to do with it? The "map for that" campaign is just a low blow to Apple when it needs to be at ATT who provides the service.

We all know Jobs is stubborn, if someone is publicly insulting his product he isnt going to do business with them even if they money is a little better than what ATT offers. Apple's image is worth more to them then some extra money. Their image and word of mouth is what sells their product. After all, the iphone wouldnt be half of what it is without the Apple image and friends showing/telling friends...
    To be fair, Apple does exactly the same thing (bolded part) in their "PC vs. Apple" commercials. PC is a guy in a suit that's depicted as not being able to have fun or failing at having fun when he tries? Yeah...about that (points to PC gaming market).
    10-19-09 12:22 PM
    If verizon ever got the iphone they would be a steam roller. How many people know others that either aren't getting a smart phone until vzw gets the iphone or they are not getting a new smart phone until the merge. I can think of at least 25.

10-19-09 07:21 PM
    very different groups each are trying to target.
    10-19-09 07:44 PM
    I say screw it, it will come when Verizon buys AT&T lol. I am a Mac guy and I was with AT&T or in my case Cingular when that phone came out, I waited years for it and I still left to go to big red for the simple fact getting a good anything on AT&T is like Microsoft going out of business....not going to happen.
    10-19-09 08:06 PM
    Hey guys, btw, if you payed close enough attention, that iDon't commercial was paid for and produced by Motorola, the maker of the Droid? VZW is not blasting Apple........
    10-20-09 09:36 PM
    yes but its naive to think VZW didnt have a hand in how the commercial went and its tone since theyre the EXCLUSIVE carrier of this phone and have similar paper marketing materials
    10-20-09 10:25 PM
    I think this was and will always be rumoured

Bearing in mind apple iphone sales have peaked with at&t
    it probably wasn't helped by the excslusive arrangement in the u.k. with O2 breaking down and now other carriers having access to the iphone
    10-21-09 04:21 PM
    Verizon hosting Droid event on October 28

now VZW is claiming the Droid is the "Must have device of the year"

Really now.... Unless it sells 1+ million the first weekend and 7+million on the year (pretty impossible with 2 months left in 2009 by the time its released), the iphone's is STILL the most desired device by numbers.

Self-proclaiming you have the most desired device isnt exactly cool these days when its clearly BS
    10-21-09 08:58 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD