Last edited by Baldberry; 07-17-09 at 01:49 PM.
    07-17-09 09:58 AM

VZ was charging $119/month for BB unlimited data and 900 minutes and AT&T is charging $79 for 900 minutes and unlimited data so it just made sense for ME to make the switch.

Huh? Last time I checked ATT and Verizon were both $60 for 900 minutes + $30 data (iPhone and Blackberry BIS) = $90 for both, not $79 or $119.
    07-17-09 10:25 AM
    Last edited by Baldberry; 07-17-09 at 01:45 PM.
    07-17-09 11:01 AM
    Huh? Last time I checked ATT and Verizon were both $60 for 900 minutes + $30 data (iPhone and Blackberry BIS) = $90 for both, not $79 or $119.
    Also as the OP stated, the original iPhone data plan is only $20 and it includes texts. So it won't cost 30 + text messaging plan as with Blackberry for either carrier.
    07-17-09 11:22 AM
    The "best" or "worst" device is SUBJECTIVE and everyone has their opinion and, by god, if you have to have a video camera to post vids on utube then any device/phone/pda that does not have one is a piece of crap and has the worst signal and crappiest network and customer support really sucks!!!
    This sentence hurt my brain. Use some punctuation

I'm not sure what to say to these kinds of threads! LOL
    However, Have fun with the 2g. I personally like the feel of the older iPhone more so since they've became plastic.
    07-17-09 11:28 AM
    This sentence hurt my brain. Use some punctuation

I'm not sure what to say to these kinds of threads! LOL
    However, Have fun with the 2g. I personally like the feel of the older iPhone more so since they've became plastic.
    Yeah I did like the aluminum backing better from a aesthetic perspective. Too bad it interfered with the performance.
    07-17-09 11:40 AM
    Yeah I did like the aluminum backing better from a aesthetic perspective. Too bad it interfered with the performance.

You won't like this, but..

..AT&T interferes with the iPhones performance.. ZINGG! LOL

07-17-09 11:44 AM
    You won't like this, but..

..AT&T interferes with the iPhones performance.. ZINGG! LOL

LOL. Well my 3G worked pretty well and 3GS is doing well also

Dropped more calls on my Storm in 2 weeks did I've done on the iPhone in 6 months. LOL.

Also the aluminum work get scratched like crazy and look hideous. It felt like it didn't need a case, but it did because it was too easy to be scratched.
    07-17-09 11:47 AM
    u might want to look closer at the websites for Verizon and AT&T
    ur verizon quote is $60? where did you get that #? I saw $119 as a choice for UNLIMITED DATA AND 900 MINUTES - FOR VERIZON BLACKBERRY. YOU WERE LOOKING AT VOICE-ONLY PLANS. I AM COMPARING THE SAME PLANS, 900 MIN AND UNLIMITED DATA...

AT&T = 900 MINUTES = $59 +20 (UNLIMITED DATA FOR IPHONE 2G)...GRAND TOTAL = $79
    I don't see any plan that is $119 for 900 minutes + unlimited blackberry data, unless you are referring to unlimited "Verizon mobile web" which would be superfluous if you have the Blackberry data plan.

The basic verizon plan: Verizon Wireless. It is $60/month for 900 minutes, not including text.

A basic Blackberry data plan (not enterprise) is $30/month.

Bringing your total to $90 (not including text messaging). If you are paying $119 then you are overpaying.

Also you never specified that your iPhone plan was $20 for the 2G. I assumed you meant the 3G. How can you compare the price for Verizon 3G against the price of ATT EDGE? EDGE is slow, obsolete technology, which is why it's of course less expensive.
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-17-09 at 12:23 PM.
    07-17-09 12:20 PM
    2. I activated a iphone 2g ($15 cheaper/month than 3g or 3gs because the txt messaging is included in the unlimited data) and use wifi if i need blazing speed or need to download music (have wifi at home and work). I really dont need blazing speed to send a txt or reply to an email or talk on the phone. I am not knocking the 3gs, just not for me right now...will get one later!
    Also you never specified that your iPhone plan was $20 for the 2G. I assumed you meant the 3G. How can you compare the price for Verizon 3G against the price of ATT EDGE? EDGE is slow, obsolete technology, which is why it's of course less expensive.
    You just didn't pay attention to what the OP said. They state in their #2 reason they they activated a iPhone 2G and the data was cheaper.

Lastly, you are correct, it is 60 a months for 900 mins + 30 for data and still have to pay for texting. If he got the 900 plan that costs 89.99 (which includes texting), still have to pay the extra 30 for data. It would probably be cheaper to go the former route, nevertheless, having a iPhone 2G is less expensive than a blackberry (on either network) and iPhone 3G.

Carriers need to start including text with data!! LOL
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-17-09 at 12:34 PM.
    07-17-09 12:24 PM
    ... go to verizonwireless website (cant post links because i am new here) click on PLANS, then click on VOICE AND EMAIL PLANS ( BTW THIS IS THE SECTION REGARDING BLACKBERRY PRICING) then click on Blackberry Nationwide EMAIL and Messaging and then scroll down and you will see the pricing I am referring to; 900 minutes for $119.99.

I am not trying to start a VZ vs AT&T war, just simply stating MY reasons for switching, no matter if the difference was only $5 or $500. It was just a better option for me...I knew this would happen as soon as started this thread...
    LOL. Yeah a good rule of thumb on this is site is to not mention which carrier and/or device you recently dumped. Some people actually take that stuff personally as if what works for them certainly has to work for you. Welcome to CB.
    07-17-09 01:04 PM
    Really...? He stated he has wifi at home and work. Have you tried wifi on your BlackBerry?
    07-17-09 01:15 PM
    ... go to verizonwireless website (cant post links because i am new here) click on PLANS, then click on VOICE AND EMAIL PLANS ( BTW THIS IS THE SECTION REGARDING BLACKBERRY PRICING) then click on Blackberry Nationwide EMAIL and Messaging and then scroll down and you will see the pricing I am referring to; 900 minutes for $119.99.

I am not trying to start a VZ vs AT&T war, just simply stating MY reasons for switching, no matter if the difference was only $5 or $500. It was just a better option for me...I knew this would happen as soon as started this thread...

I don't know how long you were paying $119, but I'm sorry, you were overpaying! 900 minutes + Blackberry data = $90/month. Plain and simple as that. Good luck with your phone.
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-17-09 at 01:19 PM.
    07-17-09 01:16 PM
    Really...? He stated he has wifi at home and work. Have you tried wifi on your BlackBerry?
    What does WIFI have to do with anything Duvi? I thought we were comparing plans, not features of individual phone models.
    07-17-09 01:17 PM
    you just dont get it, do you? I am not bashing VZ!! You are defending VZ like I slapped your mother or something...Did you even look at the section of their website I was referring to? Its there, in black and white. Enjoy your phone, sir.
    Hm, no, nothing in my posts indicates that I am defending Verizon. I did look at that section of the website, but that's not the plan you want. I did not know we were in a competition to find the most expensive and superfluous plan just to reinforce our decision to switch. As noted, the plan you want actually costs $90 (without text), so you switched to a 2G and saved $10 over an equivalent Verizon plan, which is not bad if that is what suits you.

The interesting thing is that you are suggesting that I am defending Verizon, but actually what's happening is you are defending your decision to switch based on numbers that are just incorrect. Did a Verizon rep steer you toward that plan? Because if so, you should probably have gotten a 2nd opinion. It's not uncommon though. They signed me up for a BES Blackberry data plan and I had to tell them I wanted to downgrade, even though I never told them I wanted BES.
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-17-09 at 01:49 PM.
    07-17-09 01:37 PM
    What does WIFI have to do with anything Duvi? I thought we were comparing plans, not features of individual phone models.
    Still comparing plans. He doesn't need the 3G service and hence does not need to pay more for the data plan if majority of his time is in wifi. You asked why is he comparing the two, but that's the reason why.
    07-17-09 01:39 PM
    Still comparing plans. He doesn't need the 3G service and hence does not need to pay more for the data plan if majority of his time is in wifi. You asked why is he comparing the two, but that's the reason why.
    True - I'm not really touching on his decision to switch, but he is basing the financials on data that is not really correct, and that's what I took issue with. If I were in his place I would probably switch too.

I still wonder why he is factoring in the cost of Blackberry data, which is 3G, but is still comparing it to EDGE on a cost basis, as if they were equivalent when they aren't. I can't think of any good Verizon equivalent to EDGE -- maybe "Mobile Web"?
    07-17-09 01:46 PM
    I don't know how long you were paying $119, but I'm sorry, you were overpaying! 900 minutes + Blackberry data = $90/month. Plain and simple as that. Good luck with your phone.
    Your 90 bucks a month still doesn't include text messaging. So that will take you over 100 bucks if you want unlimited text. simple as that.

What does it matter if he's comparing the cost of a data plan on a 2G iPhone vs blackberry on vzw. The OPs point is that it's cheaper for them. If he was was comparing his iPhone data plan to the blackberry data plan on a AT&T curve, which is NOT 3G and still costs 30 bucks, you wouldn't care. Everyone knows VZW and AT&T are the most expensive. And in this case AT&T works out to be less expensive.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-17-09 at 03:03 PM.
    07-17-09 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD