I will be going to ATT later this week to purchase an iphone, but have one minior concern..

Currently I am a secondary line on my mothers account (she gets 20% off monthly). Now, can I port this number without effect to the verizon contract, or will I have to make due with having a new number?

Thanks, (p.s. I realize I would be better off calling verizon directly, but I didn't wantto wait on line, and its 11pm...)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 10:29 PM
    I'm confused with your question.

You can not port your number over without effecting your Verizon contract.

Are you trying to keep service with Verizon? Are you attempting to avoid the ETF with Verizon?
    06-29-09 10:52 PM
    You would have to pay the ETF to port. You have to leave your contract with Verzon.

06-29-09 11:17 PM
    When you port your number it automatically cancels your account.
    06-29-09 11:23 PM
    Basically I was asking if I would have to get a new number, or if I can port without paying an ETF since I'm the secondary line on the contract.

06-30-09 06:03 AM
    Basically I was asking if I would have to get a new number, or if I can port without paying an ETF since I'm the secondary line on the contract.

Still gonna have to pay the ETF because even though it's the secondary line, you still signed a contract.
    06-30-09 06:07 AM
    Well, I can always cancel my BB plan on verizon, leaving just the additional 10 dollars a month for the second line on the contract. At least I'm not at a total loss.
    06-30-09 06:22 AM
    Well, I can always cancel my BB plan on verizon, leaving just the additional 10 dollars a month for the second line on the contract. At least I'm not at a total loss.
    I'm not sure Verizon allows that. You may have to switch to a device other then the BlackBerry. Hopefully others on Verizon can chime in.
    06-30-09 07:16 AM
    Yeah, forgot to mention the fact I was going to re-activate one of my old phones...
    06-30-09 07:37 AM
    Yeah, forgot to mention the fact I was going to re-activate one of my old phones...

Porting the number out will cause an ETF. Activating an old phone will not prevent this as the number will be removed from VZW. Getting a new number with AT&T will not cancel the VZW number and therefore no ETF. Bottom line, get a new number if you don't want to deal with an ETF.
    06-30-09 01:21 PM
    Yes to reiterate what has been said, even if you are a secondary line you will have to pay the ETF. (I am going thru this process myself). You can port the number over. I think you can reactivate that old phone for the same $10 but you are effectively starting a new contract with that old phone, so you won't be out of that contract for 2 years. It's not like you can pick up where you left off on your old contract, since that line is getting a new number.
    06-30-09 02:15 PM
    Maybe I'm a little confused myself, but if I'm not mistaken ETFs are tied to each individual number, not the account. So let's say you have line A and B, with A being the main number and B being the add a line... A and B have been with the carrier for 3 years, and let's say that only A recently renewed their 2 year contract by upgrading equipment but B did not, B should still be ETF free because B never upgraded equipment.

So if the OP is B in the situation above, they should be fine, but if the OP recently (within the last 2 years) upgraded equipment then yes there would be some sort of ETF... But maybe more what the OP is looking for is IF it is even possible to port a secondary line and the answer to that, as already mentioned is yes.
    06-30-09 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD