According to this website, Apple confirmed that the iPhone 6 NFC chip is only for Apple Pay !!

NFC on iPhone 6 will only be used for Apple Pay

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 02:37 PM
    BBM for a very long time was blackberry to blackberry only. Every company protects its eco system.
    Or have i not understood your point
    shupor likes this.
    09-16-14 02:47 PM
    Wow what a waste of hardware. Lol
    09-16-14 02:50 PM
    BBM for a very long time was blackberry to blackberry only. Every company protects its eco system.
    An NFC chip isn't really an eco system. Apple Pay on Apple only, okay that's one thing. An NFC chip only used towards this one service... that's really lame.
    09-16-14 02:51 PM
    Pairing to speakers, bluetooth file transfer from phone to phone, contact sharing, tap tag to launch web address any number of other things... all features the chip is capable of but that apple didn't see fit to code into ios unlike all other OEM's of NFC enabled devices..

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 02:54 PM
    Not the same thing here buddy

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn and kadthekid like this.
    09-16-14 03:06 PM
    Pairing to speakers, bluetooth file transfer from phone to phone, contact sharing, tap tag to launch web address any number of other things... all features the chip is capable of but that apple didn't see fit to code into ios unlike all other OEM's of NFC enabled devices..

Posted via CB10
    ^^^This^^^

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 03:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Apple already had numerous protocols for doing each of those things years ago. The NFC chip brings zero new capabilities the iPhone didn't already have.

They added NFC to their chipset for a very particular reason. ApplePay.

I see lots of comments here from people that have very little understanding of technology.
    Bsbudd and jmaxim917 like this.
    09-16-14 03:13 PM
    Just like iphones bluetooth I guess. Crippled. Such a shame$
    09-16-14 03:16 PM
    Apple already had numerous protocols for doing each of those things years ago. The NFC chip brings zero new capabilities the iPhone didn't already have.

I see lots of comments here from people that have very little understanding of technology.
    Please explain the reasoning behind having "numerous protocols for doing each of those things years ago" yet not having the hardware to do so to everyone else in here as we all seem to "have very little understanding of technology". <- Now that is a hilarious bit.
    bibbula, bungaboy, cman5 and 6 others like this.

I'm sure the iPhone has been capable of using NFC tags from years ago LOL

Posted via my Limited Edition Z10.
    Jakob Greve, mkelley65 and Nayalm like this.
    imagine that a vendor adds a gps hardware and then you can only use gps with specific app imagine here it is apple maps that is indeed a waste of hardware. same is for NFC it has some nice capabilities that will not be of use ... e.g. apple had developed their own airdrop solution to share files wirelessly but on blackberry we can share over nfc ( then the transfer itselfs happens over bluetooth) etc... this is an example where again apple is making a prison like airdrop that works only with their hardware software combo and disallowing collaboration cross plateform.. why I cannot use the generic file transfer over bluetooth with iphone why I cannot do this and that that is because apple wants more people buying only iphone but no thanks I don't want a prison
    bungaboy and Nayalm like this.
    09-16-14 03:54 PM
    Like having a camera locked only to Instagram. Yep, definitely makes sense Messrs Apple.

Posted via CB10
    kadthekid, Nayalm and CerveloJohn like this.
    09-16-14 03:58 PM
    Please explain the reasoning behind having "numerous protocols for doing each of those things years ago" yet not having the hardware to do so to everyone else in here as we all seem to "have very little understanding of technology". <- Now that is a hilarious bit.
    Apple has a whole host of third-party solutions, (lots and lots of speakers, for example) , that worked via Bluetooth. File transfers have worked between iOS devices via Airdrop for a long time.

There was no reason for Apple to incorporate NFC until ApplePay was conceived. Which itself, would have been premature until now. Because there are so few NFC POS terminals in the US. This will change over the next year, as the new terminals will be mandated by the end of 2015.
    Wwhite1036, Bsbudd and anon8656116 like this.
    09-16-14 04:14 PM
    Alton Brown would be so disappointed.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 04:52 PM
    Apple has a whole host of third-party solutions, (lots and lots of speakers, for example) , that worked via Bluetooth. File transfers have worked between iOS devices via Airdrop for a long time.

There was no reason for Apple to incorporate NFC until ApplePay was conceived. Which itself, would have been premature until now. Because there are so few NFC POS terminals in the US. This will change over the next year, as the new terminals will be mandated by the end of 2015.
    Bluetooth solutions required pairing settings access to work. Nfc just initiates a prompt to allow access. It's much easier. And a BlackBerry can share with android and vice versa... ios can not do this

As for Apple pay... yes.. they are joining the party late. And yes, once people realize that android has 60% or more of the market. An apple only system will lose popularity quickly.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 05:04 PM
    Well my question is.. where the heck is BBM money ...

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 05:13 PM

Just because my phone has 10+ ways to share a file or some other information, everything from email to Bluetooth, that does not mean I am going to discount one of the simpler ways. Especially if you are in the same room. That is not to mention paring with Bluetooth accessories and WiFi routers, and using smart tags and the like. NFC has a lot of different uses that are fairly useful and are becoming more and more mainstream.

Now, I also want to note that the article says NFC will only be used for Apple Pay at it's launch. I would assume that in true apple fashion that NFC will be opened to these other uses in the next update, you know, once all the developers have iPhone 6's.
    09-16-14 05:21 PM
    "220,000 versus 9 million. That’s the number of U.S. retailers where you can use Apple Pay starting in October, versus the number of places where you can currently use a credit or debit card. In other words, Apple Pay isn’t going to work at 97.6 percent of the places where you can shop in this country - and retailers aren’t exactly rushing to embrace the newest technology. Best Buy, for example, has installed the digital scanners that its checkout clerks would need to scan your iPhone 6 - but "switched them off in 2011 because the cost of supporting the platform was too high" and "has no plans to change course following Apple's announcement," the Journal reported."
    The Case Against Apple Pay | Inc.com
    09-16-14 06:31 PM
    Posted for relevance...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09...lming-results/

Keep in mind that all POS terminals are to be updated within the next year.

I don't know if you guys are just pretending this is not the case or what.

From the cited article...

"Apple has walked into an ecosystem that others have already put work into building, and it will reap benefits from that. Granted, the ecosystem isn't as pervasive as it could be: The Wall Street Journal notes that NFC readers are being used by fewer than 10 percent of merchants, especially as mom-and-pop stores balk at the cost of buying a new terminal that supports NFC if it's not a necessity.
    But lucky for Apple, a terminal upgrade will be necessary soon in the US. In late 2015, American merchants will have to buy new terminals that support EMV cards, which are more secure (although definitely not hack-proof) than the magnetic stripe cards that the US currently still uses. By October of next year, merchants who don't upgrade their terminals will be made to bear the responsibility for fraud if they are not equipped with EMV card readers. �Merchants are deploying new POS terminals in order to comply with the requirement to have EMV capability in place by October 2015, and nearly all new terminals have the contactless capability needed to accept mobile payments,� Senior Analyst Thad Peterson of the independent research firm Aite Group told Ars via e-mail. �So, we will very quickly have a critical mass of devices and a critical mass of terminals that are capable of making and accepting mobile payments.� (Peterson added, �The time has come.")"

Once again, Apple gets the timing right. They don't have to "invent" the technology. They just have to get the presentation better than the other guys.
    09-16-14 06:35 PM
    Of course not transactions will take off with apple pay and claim then invented it it's apple. I had nfc. On my torch

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 06:37 PM
    Disappointing, but on the other hand, since the devices didn't have NFC before, it'll still be value added for Apple users, I think.

For someone like me who has NFC already (and doesn't use it), it still seems like a net gain.
    09-16-14 09:55 PM
    Of course, it's only the propeller-heads that see an NFC chip on a new device and are outraged that it can't immediately be accessed for use by developers to do what they want. This is a smart move on Apple's part. They are a rolling out an important new payment service next month as well as the new hardware. The last thing they need is some kind of NFC-related hack that does something crazy to overshadow people's adoption of Apple Pay - "NFC Can Be Used To Suck Photos Off of Your iPhone From Across The Room!".

There's no reason for them to open the protocol for developers to use right away. There is plenty of time and opportunity to do it in a secure and conscientious way. Some of you guys would be the very first to highlight some sort of nefarious hack or vulnerability related to the new hardware. Sure, plenty of phones have included NFC but I don't know that they have given developers full access to 40 million new devices within few months.

Similarly, Touch ID has been out there for more than a year but only now are 3rd party apps like banking apps allowed to use it in place of their PIN system. I just noticed that the latest version of Mint for iOS 8 just added this feature. Talk about a game-changer - not having to enter your PIN into banking apps.
    JeepBB and Bsbudd like this.
    09-16-14 10:29 PM
    An NFC chip isn't really an eco system. Apple Pay on Apple only, okay that's one thing. An NFC chip only used towards this one service... that's really lame.
    Ok. But is it not like "we, at apple are bringing in a new payment method that has not existed before with us. Our primary Moto is to make is as smooth as possible, so we will lay all the ground work for it to become successful (like signing in big names, market it like hell, and put in an NFC chip for it to work) "

So, it's just a piece of hardware for the software to work. Apple put in NFC for Apple pay. They did not throw in apple pay because they had NFC chip around this time.

May be they will extend it to other apps once they take off with apple pay. Right now, apple pay is the star of the NFC show at apple and they don't want any distractions which is not going to bring in money.

Just my take.. I could be wrong though.
    09-16-14 10:48 PM
    The nerve of these crackheads... and what exactly has Blackberry done with NFC in their devices, and how much do you guys actually use NFC?
    09-17-14 12:46 AM
57 123