Today, as expected, Apple released iOS 4 to the public. But before you get too excited, there are some things you should know before updating to iOS 4. If you want to play Jailbreak with your iDevice, make sure you read through this.

iOS 4 is compatible with the 3G, 3GS, the newest iPod Touch and iPhone 4. Those of you that have played with the GM release, the build number on this public release is exactly the same; 8A293. So as for changes since the GM there are none in this release.

Jailbreaking

Wizdaz has kept the community in the know, informing us that PwnageTool is currently being updated as we speak. PwnageTool 4.0 will support the iPhone 3G (with Pwnage exploit), iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 2G (both with 24kPwn exploit). Keep in mind this means no support for the newer bootom. Remember the tethered days? If that was you, then you will need to wait until Spirit is updated or a new tool is updated for such.

There is of course the Redsn0w option if you have a 3G, but stay away from any custom packages. The Dev-Team has written it well, and because of their credibility, here is exactly what they say

Quote:
    We are working hard on a release to our tools that will jailbreak your device (or give you iOS 4 via the jailbreak train) and provide you with a carrier unlock.

Until these tools are released you should hold off on updating your device until we have fully tested our tools with all the relevant devices.

If you rely on hacktivation or a carrier unlock (ultrasn0w) then you should not upgrade until we have fully tested and released our tools.

Don�t be tempted with unofficial PwnageTool/redsn0w bundles or releases, just check here or our team twitter for real time release information.

Remember, we risk our devices so you don�t have to (but this time anyone who has made a mistake upgrading their baseband firmware at 3.1.3 or 4.0 should be OK real soon Now!
    iPhone Dev-Team
    WizDaz

Unlocking iOS 4

The iPhone Dev Team has released ultrasn0w 0.93 for unlocking your new iOS 4. Simply add the Cydia repo: repo666.ultrasn0w.com. This version of ultrasn0w will unlock basebands 04.26.08 thru 05.13.04. If your unsure, that means that ultrasn0w unlocks ALL basebands since iPhone OS 3.1. Even more specifically, 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.15.01, and 05.13.04. Remember to disable 3G on T-Mobile USA.

So on the unlocking front, you're pretty much golden. However it's still recommend to wait just a little bit longer before making the plunge for iOS 4.

As always I will post a full step by step guide for jailbreak and unlock when a solid jailbreak is released.
    06-21-10 06:14 PM
    Thanks so much. I am a newb. Can you also post the links for the 3rd party softward neede to jailbreak the device. I'm working w/the iPod Touch 3g OS4.
    06-25-10 07:57 AM
    How do you know if you have the old or new bootrom?
    06-25-10 10:03 AM
    Can the lastest version of 3.1... be unlocked for T-Mobile?
    06-25-10 12:56 PM
    How do you know if you have the old or new bootrom?
    are you needing to know your bootrom or your baseband?
    bootrom can be found by downloading f0recast (works with both Mac and Windows), launch it and connect your iPhone 3GS and it�ll tell you all you need to know
    download link:
    Mac:f0recast-1.1-Mac.zip
    PC: f0recast-1.1.exe

.baseband can be found under settings>general>about

Can the lastest version of 3.1... be unlocked for T-Mobile?
    Yes 3.1.3's guide is here http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/gui...-1-2-a-462984/ and 3.1.2's guide is here http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/gui...rmware-441303/
    06-25-10 03:23 PM
    Does anyone have the step by step process to unlock 5.13.04 os 4 on 3GS?? (Please give the De De deee version)

I have T-Mobile, and need to get this iPhone setup.
    06-27-10 09:44 PM
    Hi Thanks I am going to read them.

I am a blackberry user and know how to upgrade the berrys. I am getting a iphone 16g 3g (not sure if it's S) from someone who went to iphone 4 and since I am on TMO, I have been devouring all the posts. Before I could tell him NOT to upgrade, he let me know that he is cleaning it all up and upgrade to OS4...lol so the info really helps.
    06-29-10 12:26 AM
    Each time I try to get the f0recast-1.1.exe , it just says your download is starting and sit's there....how come?
    07-01-10 02:10 PM
    Each time I try to get the f0recast-1.1.exe , it just says your download is starting and sit's there....how come?
    It doesnt like you No seriously are you clicking on the right link for your particular operating system? I just tried both links and they both work fine for me.
    07-01-10 03:11 PM
    Thanks. It would not work in firefox, tried IE and it downloads but won't open...might be my firewall, I am going to try again..grr
    07-01-10 04:12 PM
    will this unlock Iphone4 or just the older models?
    07-01-10 07:10 PM
    I was just trying to use it to tell me what I have on my phone...baseline and that stuff. Don't know about 1phone, I've got 3Gs OS4and the "official" stuff is not perfected yet.
    07-01-10 07:29 PM
    I got a quick question for you; are the build weeks after 940 still tethered for unlocks and jailbreaks? Thanks for a infpormative thread, and forecast download.
    07-04-10 05:36 PM
    Can u please guide me or post the link on how to jailbreak iPod Touch 3rd gen os4 MC model... quite lost with all the links I've been browsing thru...
    07-30-10 07:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD