I just got an iPhone, I'm considering jailbreaking it. Can you guys offer some pros and cons pls. Also, any experiences you've had with the process during or after. Thanks!
    05-20-09 12:43 PM
    Pros - you get free apps unlocked phone, themes, backgrounds etc and a decent experience for a few months.

EDIT: A post of mine that was deleted by somebody.??

Let me help you here. The only con to not doing, would be not doing it. The o.p. might as well do it. He won't have any problems. If it crashes and he can't flash the firmware to it to do a warranty exchange, put it in dfu mode and flash it. Problem solved. I had a broken iphone for about 1 year and never even had it crash. I had a few friends warranty theirs to get a refurb before the warranty was up and they never ever encountered a issue with apple about jailbreaking because you flash it back in dfu mode before returning/exchanging it.

So in reality, the only con is you have a basic iphone. So the pros out wieght the cons.
    05-20-09 01:38 PM
    I just got an iPhone, I'm considering jailbreaking it. Can you guys offer some pros and cons pls. Also, any experiences you've had with the process during or after. Thanks!

Cons - voids your factory warranty. So if you start having issues you will need to restore in order for Apple to help. If for some reason, you cannot turn the phone back on and therefore cannot restore, if you take it to an apple store and they are able to get it on and see it's jailbroken, they probably won't help you. Jailbreaking may cause crashes. Not frequent but it depends on what you have installed and have tweaked. Just some things to think about.

Pros - access to features and programs that should have already been included and also not in the app store. For instance, MMS, landscape keyboard while texting, video recording, MMS, run programs in the background and quicker email fetching. Cosmetic tweaks to the OS like changing colors and icons and other system preference tweak. I have my calendar on my lock screen which is very convenient. Plenty of things out there. A lot of the features that are missing like MMS and video recording will be available when 3.0 is released this summer.
    05-20-09 02:16 PM
    Umm....thanks LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 03:40 PM
    Umm....thanks LOL

You're welcome.

Scorp mentioned most of the pros/cons...

My only con was really how sluggish my iPhone became. I have co-workers that say theirs work perfectly.
    05-21-09 02:58 AM
    It only gets sluggish if you run a lot of stuff that runs in the background. Just keep that in mind before installing EVERYTHING.
    05-22-09 11:04 AM
    There're more pros than cons
    05-22-09 01:03 PM
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more pros than cons.

There are no cons in my honest opinion, just follow the directions.

To be perfectly honest if I couldn't jailbreak my iphone, I'd return it today.
    05-22-09 02:17 PM
    so far i haven't found a need to jailbreak my iPhone, but to each his own...
    05-22-09 02:41 PM
    I found my phone a little slower once it was done like you Duvi but I've also heard it has no effect so it may have been my phone or something. Way more pros than cons though.
    05-22-09 02:57 PM
    so far i haven't found a need to jailbreak my iPhone, but to each his own...
    Neither have I. I haven't paid for any apps I wanted either. All the ones I wanted have been free so far. I haven't JB it yet. For some reason after I download Quickpwn, I get an error message when trying go open it 'cannot open application properly' tried it numerous times *shrugs*. Ah well maybe that's a sign I'm not supposed to do it lol

05-24-09 11:48 AM
    Correction: *to open it

05-24-09 11:49 AM
    Making VOIP calls over the 3G network is a good enough reason to jailbreak.
    05-26-09 02:49 PM
    Sling over 3G is MORE than enough reason for me!

Everyone on the slingcommunity was crying that they couldn't watch their sling over 3G on the iphone, and thats a huge reason in and of itself.

Not to mention the unlocking ability for resale purposes. Have you guys seen what these things go for unlocked on ebay?
    05-26-09 08:33 PM
    I jailbroke my iPod Touch primarily to actually be able to change my theme and the much anticipated for OS 3: Copy & Paste.
    05-27-09 01:04 AM
    CON - it is no where as smooth OS than the OG OS, people think it is but every time I JB and go back just reminds me of how smooth Apples OS is. JB is so glitchy and glotchy.. reminds of the Storms OS.
    05-27-09 08:45 AM
    Thats good to know. I cant wait for a new phone. I just love having to do a battery pull every day.....
    05-28-09 11:14 AM
    Pros=Free apps, free normally have to pay for apps, themes, multitasking, and completely customizable.

06-01-09 12:02 AM
    Lovin the storm I take it?

Thats good to know. I cant wait for a new phone. I just love having to do a battery pull every day.....
    06-01-09 12:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD