Leave your iPad at home!

Israel warns visitors to leave their iPads at home
    04-17-10 09:10 AM
    Its the first I knew that US and Euro permitted power levels are significantly different. Maybe Israel is one of those places with additional restrictions "just in case" someone finds a way to use it for something the state doesn't approve.

More likely this is to protect domestic sales and/or raise extra revenue from penalties for illegal equipment.
    04-17-10 10:36 AM
    Israel is a patent monger.
    Maybe having no ins on the device (patent wise) they decided to ban it.
    The poor sports they are. ;-)
    04-17-10 11:35 AM
    I guess iPads aren't kosher. Who knew.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 01:04 PM
    Sounds like something more in line with Iran than Israel....
    04-17-10 01:33 PM
    Well, look at the positives... at least you can still drink FizzyBubbly on the plane.
    04-17-10 10:49 PM
    it's not banned, it's just not yet approved, just as you need FCC approval here in the US for such a device.
    04-18-10 12:40 AM
    I guess they don't believe Steve Jobs existed either....
    04-18-10 02:14 AM
    I guess they don't believe Steve Jobs existed either....
    Oh no, they believe in Steve Jobs.
    They just don't believe that the ipad is the (brain) child of Steve Jobs.
    04-18-10 02:37 AM
    People obviously have a lot of Israel issues that they want to vent. Did anyone bother to notice this part?

The touchscreen gadget is so far only on sale in the United States, where federal regulations allow much higher Wi-Fi signal strength than the European standard followed in Israel.

Oh no, they believe in Steve Jobs.
    They just don't believe that the ipad is the (brain) child of Steve Jobs.
    Now THAT's funny right there...
    04-18-10 03:08 AM
    No issues at all, I posted it as a heads up to save folk the effort of carrying extra weight and risking it getting seized.

AFAIK the permitted EIRP for a mobile device is more or less the same in Europe and USA. It might be very slighly different or expressed in different units (watts or dBm), but nowhere near the 40x the article claims. Think about it... how many US travellers have their US standard WiFi enabled notebooks or phones siezed?
    04-18-10 03:30 PM
    I wasn't talking about your comments.

Israel is a patent monger.
    Sounds like something more in line with Iran than Israel....
    I just don't see too many people making the same remarks but with EU in place of Israel... which is whose standards they adopted.

04-18-10 04:14 PM
    I wasn't talking about your comments.
    I just don't see too many people making the same remarks but with EU in place of Israel... which is whose standards they adopted.

There are no reports of iPads being seized at Customs within Europe. Come to think of it... there are not many recent flights from USA to Europe to test the theory
    04-19-10 09:28 AM
    Branta - Off topic - Customs and Border Protection and US Citizenship and Immigration Service announced that folks who can't go back to their countries because of delays caused by the volcano will not be deemed to have overstayed their entries. I expect reciprocity from EU contries.
    04-19-10 09:37 AM
    Maybe Israel is holding the iPads in order to install malware on them... Yeah, it's a reach, but if they told me I'd have to give up my tech upon entering the country (ANY country for that matter), I'd turn right around and head for the ticket counter for a return flight out of that ****hole... REGARDLESS of where it was.
    04-19-10 10:23 AM
    Branta - Off topic - Customs and Border Protection and US Citizenship and Immigration Service announced that folks who can't go back to their countries because of delays caused by the volcano will not be deemed to have overstayed their entries. I expect reciprocity from EU contries.
    I think there could have been severe logistical problems if they tried to deport any overstayers from either side
    04-20-10 08:28 PM
    Maybe Israel is holding the iPads in order to install malware on them... Yeah, it's a reach, but if they told me I'd have to give up my tech upon entering the country (ANY country for that matter), I'd turn right around and head for the ticket counter for a return flight out of that ****hole... REGARDLESS of where it was.
    I hope you never have to leave USA
    Random Inspection of Your Laptop's Content at U.S. Border

And I love your patriotic comment
    04-20-10 08:32 PM
    Yeah the US has seized more lappies than all the rest of the countries on earth combined. I have no idea about the iPad deal in Israel (although personally I do find it HILARIOUS, +1 for Israel!). Some people have said it's some pressure from the cellphone companies (there are no foreign cellphone carriers in Israel) they're worried about the iPad being able to bypass the carriers and not have to sign up for a contract.

I don't see how it's different from any other device, but who knows.
    04-21-10 03:10 AM
    ROFL!! Ignorant speculation. Not only is the iPad incapable of making a phone call, but any data connection a by a visitor would be billed at their extortionate Roaming rates unless they manage to use a local SIM. Considering the notorious inefficiency and data hogging of certain other Apple device Israeli cellcos should be laughing all the way to the bank.
    04-21-10 04:23 AM
    Yeah I agree and I like I said I didn't understand the arguments. But nobody ever said the carriers have a clue, it could be some other political issue, nobody knows at this point.
    04-21-10 04:30 AM
    I have to agree. The electronics I carry is usually critical for me to do my work - I can't substitute other devices borrowed from the client. Having a notebook computer held for 2 weeks would stop me working for that period unless I could replace the hardware and critical software. Expensive, and it would probably take about 2 weeks to get everything working again.
    04-22-10 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD