Apple Acknowledges iPhone 5 Camera Problem, Says You're Holding It Wrong

Basically tells users their holding it wrong..........AGAIN
    10-02-12 10:23 PM
    must be how it enhances dark shots adding a different lense that adds color but distorts full spectrum light
    10-02-12 10:54 PM
    Maybe it's a tribute to Jimi Hendrix...
    10-02-12 11:15 PM
    10-03-12 03:06 PM
    ouch, burn
    10-03-12 03:25 PM
    Burn?? Hardly....

I've owned a Galaxy Nexus since release, taken tons of pictures in all kinds of lighting, and honestly I've yet to encounter purple haze. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it has never been a complaint with this phone. Same with the SIII. Once in a while is ok, but the iPhone 5 does have an issue without a doubt.

If this was normal, it would not have been all over the Apple forums and Apple's own community.
    10-03-12 06:45 PM
    Burn?? Hardly....

I've owned a Galaxy Nexus since release, taken tons of pictures in all kinds of lighting, and honestly I've yet to encounter purple haze. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it has never been a complaint with this phone. Same with the SIII. Once in a while is ok, but the iPhone 5 does have an issue without a doubt.

If this was normal, it would not have been all over the Apple forums and Apple's own community.
    That wasn't my point. Especially considering I just spent the evening take pictures at my son's football game with with iP5 and not one picture has a purple haze. The point is that it isn't exclusive to iPhones regardless oh how much of an "issue" you'd like to make it. Your phones didn't do it, but the above phones did. Some iPhone users noticed it, I haven't. Next...
    10-03-12 07:11 PM
    First off, I never said it was exclusive to iPhones. Secondly, all the users that are complaining (and there are quite a few) must be crazy then. And I'm talking about die-hard Apple fans here, not 'haters'.

This is just one of many threads on Apple's forums:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/19805147#19805147

If it's not happening with you, great, but it's a problem for many others. Maybe your pictures don't have bright light sources and that's the reason you're not seeing it.

And I'll repeat again, if the frequency of this occurrence was normal, why hasn't this come up before? You have people with the 4S who aren't encountering nearly as many issues.
    10-03-12 07:50 PM
    Welcome to digital photography. Traditional film was not sensitive to the UV and IR spectrum. However, a lot of CCDs are. Add in the image processing that all CCD/CMOS photos go through and that's why you get the purple flare on photos sometimes.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 10-03-12 at 09:57 PM.
    10-03-12 09:50 PM
    One of the reasons I love iPhone is because of it's great camera (for a phone that is). Lens flare happens. I took 2 years of photography classes, so I've seen my share of lens flares. It's pretty easy to avoid though. Those of you who wear glasses know that if your glasses are dirty, light will form streaks in your field of vision. Guess what? Same thing happens to cameras. Clean the lens. since the iPhone 5 has a sapphire crystal lens, you don't have to worry about scratching it. , you can use sandpaper on it and it won't scratch. It's virtually scratch proof since diamond is one of the few things that will scratch it. So unless you happen to keep spare diamonds in your pockets, you don't have to worry about scratching the camera lens. Even if your lens is clean, you can still get lens flares. It has to do with the way light reflects off the surface of the lens. Coating the lens with an AR layer can help, but I don't see phone cameras getting lens coatings anytime soon.

The easiest way to avoid lens flare is to simply shade it. Put your hand over it or something. Professional wide angle lenses usually come with a hood. The purpose of the hood is to prevent lens flares. A lot of higher end video cameras also come with hoods for the same reason. Some pro/am photogs leave it off though, lens flares can also look pretty nice if you use it in the composition. Star Trek 2009 used lens flares everywhere, and some people liked it, some people though it was distracting.

Addendum: In answer to the question why iPhone 5 seems more to lens flare than previous models.... If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it has something to do with the sapphire lens. iPhones in general have been more prone to lens flares, mostly because it has more elements in its lens system. It's a small price to pay for better quality photos. Take out some of the elements, you get less lens flare, perhaps eliminate it, but you would also lose near focus, introduce chromatic distortion, introduce line distortion, and probably a bunch of other bad things. It's a trade-off, but one I'm sure most users are willing to accept.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-04-12 at 05:23 AM.
    10-04-12 02:33 AM
    welcome to digital photography. Traditional film was not sensitive to the uv and ir spectrum. However, a lot of ccds are. Add in the image processing that all ccd/cmos photos go through and that's why you get the purple flare on photos sometimes.
    thank you!
    10-04-12 08:24 AM
    10-07-12 02:25 PM
    Wow, 3 threads on this. Must be a big deal.
    10-08-12 10:25 AM
    The point I think some people are missing is that although all cameras CAN have lens flare, they could also have done something to make it worse on this particular one. It's possible.

I smell a new change to their website like they had to do for Maps. "Our camera turns out to be as mediocre as the rest..."
    10-08-12 11:36 AM
    Someone tell me where they see purple hazing in this shot on a non-Apple device? Click notice the Sun's reflection off the prop.
    Attached Thumbnails Iphone5 Camera New Effect(Purple Flare)-uploadfromtaptalk1349715235975.jpg  
    10-08-12 11:54 AM
    Someone tell me where they see purple hazing in this shot on a non-Apple device? Click notice the Sun's reflection off the prop.
    You do know what a lens flare is, right? Reflective chrome is not a lens flare...quit trolling.
    10-08-12 06:38 PM
    You do know what a lens flare is, right? Reflective chrome is not a lens flare...quit trolling.
    In which the brightness off of the bright gleam of the sun hitting that prop would have caused it in the camera lens in which in this case it did not. Contrary to what Apple has stated.
    10-08-12 06:47 PM
    In which the brightness off of the bright gleam of the sun hitting that prop would have caused it in the camera lens in which in this case it did not. Contrary to what Apple has stated.
    No, that's not at all how lens flare is produced. Lens flare is also not an Apple phenomenon. Get a clue.
    10-08-12 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD