New iphone user here through Verizon. I have an AOL email account. Unlike the BB my emails do not notify me as they come in. I have to open up the mail app and it fetch them, if there are any. Maybe my understanding of "Push" is wrong that if the push setting is on you should get email notification as soon as it arrives. Or does this not work with AOL? Any way to be notified of new emails coming in instantly?
    02-12-11 06:09 AM
    What I would do if I were you is to set up a Gmail account and forward your AOL account to it. Once that is done you can set up the Gmail account as an Exchange account and you will have true Push. I don't think that AOL can be set up as an exchange account on it's own. I know it sounds like a lot but it is all very easy, let me know if you need any help setting it all up.
    02-12-11 04:11 PM
    Only problem is if you do that when you reply you will be replying from you GMail not AOL, unless you back out everytime and go to AOL.
    02-12-11 05:28 PM
    New iphone user here through Verizon. I have an AOL email account. Unlike the BB my emails do not notify me as they come in. I have to open up the mail app and it fetch them, if there are any. Maybe my understanding of "Push" is wrong that if the push setting is on you should get email notification as soon as it arrives. Or does this not work with AOL? Any way to be notified of new emails coming in instantly?
    Not for AOL. Google, Hotmail, Yahoo all support push mail.

You could open a hotmail(live) account and add AOL email to that and sync hotmail with Exchange to have push mail. Basically have your AOL mail also delivered to the live (hotmail) account. You could do the same thing with google too. You gotta do this hoop and loop, but that's AOL mail for you. If you ask me they couldn't pay me enough to have an AOL email acct. regardless of phones or push mails.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 02-12-11 at 05:37 PM.
    02-12-11 05:34 PM
    Only problem is if you do that when you reply you will be replying from you GMail not AOL, unless you back out everytime and go to AOL.
    You can go ahead and add the aol account on your iPhone. Obviously, no mails will be delivered there if it is forwarded to gmail, but then you get an option when you you send and reply in the "from window" where you can choose either your gmail or aol account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-11 05:43 PM
    Someone still has an AOL account? For Real?
    I thought it was buried with myspace and Friendster accounts?
    As for the work around, the previous posts addressed that already.
    Last edited by mark_rivers19; 02-12-11 at 05:58 PM.
    02-12-11 05:56 PM
    What's an AOL?

Kidding!
    crackvegas78 likes this.
    02-12-11 05:57 PM
    I bought 3 years ago the application "PushMail" (€2,39 in App Store). Since, this application is pushing my mail notifications on all my iPhones (4, 3G and EDGE).

The notification system is fast (some seconds faster than RIM), reliable and highly customizable.

If you don't want to pay, have a look to Boxcar in the App Store (it seems to be able to do the same for free).

CU
    02-19-11 12:28 PM
    Nice advertising, dev
    02-19-11 03:58 PM
    Someone still has an AOL account? For Real?
    I thought it was buried with myspace and Friendster accounts?
    As for the work around, the previous posts addressed that already.
    I would not even recommend a work around to get AOL to push. I do suggest to the OP to dump AOL and just change over to any supported push mail provider, Gmail is topps!!!. AOL is dead in the water and it's to no surprise why it's not supported by any platform.
    02-19-11 04:16 PM
    I would not even recommend a work around to get AOL to push. I do suggest to the OP to dump AOL and just change over to any supported push mail provider, Gmail is topps!!!. AOL is dead in the water and it's to no surprise why it's not supported by any platform.
    That's what I'll probably do. Can you provide some insight on why Gmail is tops?
    02-20-11 09:28 AM
    That's what I'll probably do. Can you provide some insight on why Gmail is tops?
    Well lets start with unlimited storage, never delete an email again if you don't want to. It's cloud based so you can get to your email from any device anywhere anytime. If you are a power email user like me you will love filters and multiple in boxes. Not to mention that using Gmail will open your eyes to all of the other great services that Google has to offer. Things like Google Calendar and Google Contact are just a couple and it can all be integrated and pushed to your device of choice.
    02-20-11 10:37 AM
    Besides being a great email client, the number one reason for me is Google sync

A Google sync enabled device like Android, iPhone or Blackberry allows you to sync mail, transfer contacts/calendar to any device regardless of what platform you are on.

Once you Google sync your contacts and calendar they are stored in the cloud and you can sign on to the device of your choice and contacts and calendar are instantly transferred. You never have to worry about losing your device and contacts because they will always be safely stored in the cloud.

Google Sync also allows you to add contacts and calendar events on your computer via your Gmail account and all will sync to your mobile device, so it works from device to cloud to PC and PC to cloud to device.

I'm able to use my Android device and iPhone without worrying about my contacts and calendar events, all I do it sign in and voila! They are on my devices like magic.

Google sync works via exchange on iPhone

If and when you become a Gmail user you'll laugh at AOL and will ask yourself why you didn't switch sooner.
    Last edited by JD914; 02-20-11 at 01:21 PM.
    02-20-11 12:55 PM
    I just setup my verizon email account to forward to my gmail account and I have Exchange setup on my iPhone. It appears to be working just fine, but is there a setting somewhere other than on my iPhone where I can setup how often the mail is pushed?

I've been test sending emails from my PC and they go instantly to my iPhone Exchange account. Is that the way it's supposed to work?
    02-20-11 06:09 PM
    I just setup my verizon email account to forward to my gmail account and I have Exchange setup on my iPhone. It appears to be working just fine, but is there a setting somewhere other than on my iPhone where I can setup how often the mail is pushed?

I've been test sending emails from my PC and they go instantly to my iPhone Exchange account. Is that the way it's supposed to work?
    Yup, that's push lol
    02-20-11 06:17 PM

No, the whole purpose of push is to get email instantly the moment it's sent to you.

Your email is working like it should.
    02-20-11 06:32 PM
    No, the whole purpose of push is to get email instantly the moment it's sent to you.

Your email is working like it should.
    Great news! Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear. So I guess I can get rid of my Verizon account on my iPhone and just use the Exchange?
    02-20-11 06:41 PM
    I have setup my Exchange push on my iPhone. It's working fine. Now my regular email account on my PC stopped working. I'm using Windows Live Mail. How can I continue to receive my email on my PC?
    02-20-11 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD