I have a question for all you iPhone users out there. I started looking at the ipod touch on Craigslist and noticed that I could get a 3G 8gb iPhone for about the same price as a larger capacity Touch. Is there any disadvantage in getting the iPhone and not activating it with cell service over just getting a Touch? The way I see it I would still be able to surf with Wi-Fi, have a music player, enjoy all the pointless apps, but I would have a camera too.

What do you think?
    05-18-09 05:23 PM
    I have a question for all you iPhone users out there. I started looking at the ipod touch on Craigslist and noticed that I could get a 3G 8gb iPhone for about the same price as a larger capacity Touch. Is there any disadvantage in getting the iPhone and not activating it with cell service over just getting a Touch? The way I see it I would still be able to surf with Wi-Fi, have a music player, enjoy all the pointless apps, but I would have a camera too.

What do you think?
    I don't think the phone will connect without a cellular phone. As to the rest, you don't need any plan to connect via Wi-Fi. I have used my iPhone as an iTouch when I shut off the cellular and data plans.
    05-18-09 05:54 PM
    If you do choose to get the iPhone, make sure it was previously activated or else when you try to use it, it will be stuck at the Emergency Screen until you put in a valid AT&T SIM card and connect it to iTunes to activate. Btw, if you have a friend with an AT&T SIM card and the iPhone you want to get isn't activated, you can borrow your friend's, put it in the phone, connect it to iTunes and once it activates give your friend the SIM card back.
    05-18-09 05:57 PM
    Thanks savioAMG, that is good to know! So I would just need the SIM card the first time if it was a previously unactivated phone? I could still go in later to iTunes and purchase music if I'm on Wi-Fi?
    05-18-09 06:51 PM
    Thanks savioAMG, that is good to know! So I would just need the SIM card the first time if it was a previously unactivated phone? I could still go in later to iTunes and purchase music if I'm on Wi-Fi?
    Yes to both questions.
    05-18-09 06:51 PM
    You COULD just jailbreak and unlock the iPhone. That way, you can even use an older sim card to just get through the "emergency" screen. Thereafter, you can use wifi, listen to music, watch videos, etc etc to your heart's content. You won't get any service but you get a camera
    05-21-09 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD