i have a sprint bb tour and im seriously thinking of switching to an iphone. i love my bb but i have always had them and i think i want something different. i bought an ipod touch and WOW that thing i awesome i can only imagine what having an iphone must be like. my biggest concern is the at&t service and there 3g network, i hear neither is very good, i live in central nc and i dont have a problem with sprint so hopefully i want have a problem with at&t. hopefully this is not a stupid question but what is the major difference between a bb and an iphone, other than the iphone is alot more fun to play with! Also is an 8 gig enough or do i need something bigger? thanks
    01-03-10 04:58 PM
    Well you do have something like a 30(?) day trial to cancel if you are not happy with the AT&T service.
    01-03-10 05:04 PM
    Well to me there are too many differences to list them all, and it really depends what you need the phone to do. The iPhone is better at web browsing, media, messaging, apps and gaming. The iPhone also does email, but doesn't have push email like BB so if you need push for business purposes you will need a Berry. BB is capable of backgounding apps, tethering and running themes out of the box. The iPhone needs to be jailbroken to do these things.

As for service, I came from Verizon which has great service to At&t. I'm happy with my service. I had a week or so recently that I dropped a few calls, but I also hadn't synced in like 2 weeks. When I finally synced my phone there was a carrier update and I haven't dropped a call since. I can't vouch for your area though so you might want to do more research there.
    01-04-10 11:25 AM
    Well you do have something like a 30(?) day trial to cancel if you are not happy with the AT&T service.
    This is exactly what it comes down to.

And I'd recommend buying it from an Apple store. In case you have to take it
    back they won't charge your a re-stocking fee like AT&T corporate stores do
    01-04-10 12:44 PM
    I just switched to the iPhone from a bb storm 2. I love it! I thought I would miss my bb but this iPhone blows it away. I, too, was skeptical about AT&T service in my area. I started my AT&T line with a new number for the trial and once I saw AT&T was going to work out for me then I had my old number ported and my VZW line cancelled. Btw, don't go 8 gig. Go for 16 IMO. The first night I had it I loaded it up with 5 gigs worh of stuff. I have plenty of wiggle room for the next two years but if I would have gone with an 8 gig, idk...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 12:57 PM
    I switched from being a long time BB user. My most recent BB was the Storm 2. I tried Print with the Pre and Hero but the service didn't work for my area. Verizon's service is outstanding an I was worried when I came to AT&T. I was pleasently surprised to find that AT&T works great for me in the areas where I use my phone. I do miss some of the better email supports that BB has (ie default push) as the iPhone can only have one push account. But it is a good phone which I truely enjoy. IMHO I would go with at least the 16GB. The 3GS is super fast and well worth the extra money. Good luck.

01-04-10 09:19 PM
    thanks. I think im going to make the switch because i dont email a whole lot but i do like gaming and surfing the web. the iphone seems like it fits my needs better than a bb. And like you say i have 30 days to return it so it cant hurt to at least try it.
    01-05-10 09:21 AM
    The Iphone is an overall better device than any BB or any other device that I have owned, played with, or seen. But the one area that the BB is better than the Iphone is in messaging which is a big enough component of a smartphone device to make someone like myself who loved the Iphone to go back to a BB. When I had my Iphone, I was wowed by everything that it did. The apps can be mind-scrambling. I loved being able to actually view YouTube videos. But the messaging features were sub par. Because I message more than I do anything else on my smartphone, I had to get rid of the Iphone.

01-09-10 07:20 AM
    I have to be honest, I was hating on IPhone until Christmas time 2009.
    I got an I Pod touch for Christmas...and I am flat out impressed how solid it is and how many apps are useful to me (keep finding more every day)

Network tools, built in VPN, Remote desktop software and it all just works.

I can only imagine how well this works when you're not tied to a WiFi tower (a la a 3G cell connection)

If/When Iphone breaks up with ATT and IF they create a CDMA version of their phone for Big Red, I will seriously consider the jump.

We have a hosted exchange server for work, it pushes email to the Android just fine...and it's the same setup for an Iphone.

I love my BB for email, calendar, contacts, etc., but for everything else...this Itouch really is impressive!
    01-09-10 08:53 AM
    - i have a 3gs, unlocked it and jailbroke it and have never looked back!
    01-09-10 09:15 AM
    I got a 3gs this morning!!! I absolutely love it!!! My girlfriend is now using my bold 9700. If only bb browser was better or the iphone had a bb keyboard...
    01-09-10 11:57 AM
    iPod Touch only offers half of what an iPhone can.. don't fool yourselves.. I have both. The Touch is by no means a replacement for the iPhone, specially the 3G [S]. The touch is virtually useless without WiFi.
    01-09-10 12:00 PM
    I got a 3gs this morning!!! I absolutely love it!!! My girlfriend is now using my bold 9700. If only bb browser was better or the iphone had a bb keyboard...
    Once you get used to the keyboard on the iphone you will really like it. I can almost type as fast on my iphone now as I could on my curve.
    01-09-10 01:12 PM
    I've tried an ipod touch and a blackberry and if the ipod touch is anything like the iphone the one thing that sticks out for me honestly is the browser. The browser on the ipod touch is amazing, but for me messaging is more important which is why I went for a blackberry. Love the push email. Its all up to what you need
    01-09-10 01:23 PM
    actually iPhones do have push e-mail.. look in your settings
    01-09-10 01:27 PM
    Agreed. Although, the only thing that annoys me about the iPhone is that YouTube videos have crappy quality on EDGE and 3G. If the quality of videos could render on cellular networks like they do on WiFi, it would be huge. Just look at the N1, Droid, Pre, Eris...YouTube videos show up clear and crisp on 3G. Hopefully Apple will fix this in their next iPhone.

I think I'm the only person who hasn't downloaded apps on my iPod. I've been only using it for music, internet, and YouTube since I got it. I haven't even registered it on iTunes yet.
    Youtube works fine for me on my 3Gs when I am on the 3G network. Not really sure what you are talking about there. Now on EDGE almost all vids suck not just youtube, that is due to the fact that EDGE is slow and I mean really slow.
    01-09-10 03:15 PM
    YouTube video works and looks great on 3G for me.
    01-09-10 04:13 PM
    i think the only thing i will really miss about my tour is the bb messenger. i like the push emails but i do not email alot, i mostly just text or use the bb messenger. the main thing i use my phone for is texting, playing games, and using the browser, so by seeing what everyone is saying the iphone is better than my bb tour in those categories.
    01-10-10 07:35 PM
    is the 16g enough or should i get the 32g? is it worth the extra $100?
    01-10-10 07:40 PM
    the only problem with a 30 day trial and iPhone is that they charge you a 10% restocking fee if you return the iPhone. Service is definately bad (depending on where you are) buildings seem to be a big problem with service with AT&T, but it depends on your location. The iTouch is the iPhone minus the cell service, so that may be an option and add on Skype.
    01-11-10 01:03 PM
    get the 32 gig, you can't add memory if it isn't enough, even though the 16 gig is massive.
    01-11-10 01:05 PM
    I'm content with my Tour Touch combo.

The messaging /notifications on my BB simply out performs the iPhone.
    I don't need a browser or to watch media when working so the iPhone advantages are mute points for me.

Battery life is great on the BB as well.
    01-12-10 06:08 PM
    I just switched to the iPhone from a bb storm 2. I love it! I thought I would miss my bb but this iPhone blows it away. I, too, was skeptical about AT&T service in my area. I started my AT&T line with a new number for the trial and once I saw AT&T was going to work out for me then I had my old number ported and my VZW line cancelled. Btw, don't go 8 gig. Go for 16 IMO. The first night I had it I loaded it up with 5 gigs worh of stuff. I have plenty of wiggle room for the next two years but if I would have gone with an 8 gig, idk...

Posts like this make me regret getting a Storm/Storm 2 with my contract.
    01-29-10 05:47 AM
    The iPod Touch is not the iPhone experience.. reason being is many apps (among so many native features) rely on a connection to be worth anything.. ask my son. I bought him a 32gb iPod Touch and he still wants to use my iPhone while in travel.

Wifi is nowhere near as prevalent as it needs to be for the iPod Touch to be compared to the iPhone. 3G makes a HUGE difference!
    (give up the AT&T 3G jokes as my area, Florida, has 3G in serious lock down).

I don't care about NYC.. or Billy Bob's Country Shack in Bosevis, Wyoming.. I DON'T live there!

Verizon you can have Billy's Shack.. I'm sure he'll appreciate you for it.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-29-10 at 08:09 AM.
    01-29-10 08:05 AM
    I agree, it really does just make an iPod an iPod and not an iphone replacement. Even the stock apps like weather and stocks use data.

And I also agree i dont care about NYC, goobly goo Oklahoma, or cow farm Nebraska- I dont live there! Ive been saying this since the "map for that" campaign began; that it means ZERO if you dont live there its just a marketing gimmick to make you subconsciously believe theyre better when you wont use 99% of that map service area! ALL that matters is it covers the areas you live or travel.

And ATT works great for me, as said above, in FL especially Miami. No issues, 2mb down speeds, no complaints.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-29-10 at 08:33 AM.
    01-29-10 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD