Hi everyone ..Ok, I need a definitive answer to this question if possible. I currently am using a iphone 3gs. I have just purchased a Blackberry 9700 to use as my primary phone. My question: How do I use my iphone as a ipod only? I will be swapping the SIM from the iphone to the Blackberry so the iphone will not have a SIM card in it. Will I be able to sync the iphone to my itunes without reactivating the iphone ? If a software update comes available for the iphone, will I be able to download it ? Will I still be able to use the iphone for the apps and use wifi ? Thanks for the answers in advance ..
    01-12-10 01:01 PM
    Once you take your SIM out it will basically be an iPod touch. Everything else stays the same. You won't have any problems.
    01-12-10 01:18 PM
    My parents live in PSL, excellent AT&T 3G service . Why are you switching for voice, don't like the iPhone?
    01-12-10 01:28 PM
    I love the iphone and all it can do, browser is fantastic, apps are fun, ipod function can't be beat but in my experience, the Blackberry is a better communication tool. I like the Blackberry alerts, messaging and phone. I find myself struggling between choosing between both phones as there are positives to each.
    You're right, 3G service in PSL is great, no dropped calls with the BB but I have had a few with the Iphone ..
    01-12-10 01:44 PM
    I visit my parents a lot, I also have two sisters there and they all have the 3G [S]. I started a few monsters over there lol. Good luck switching back and forth.
    01-12-10 02:11 PM
    I really don't want to switch back and forth, it's tiresome. I want to make the 3gs purchase cost effective, that's why I asked the original question. I love both phones, I just wish everything I want would be in one package. Any answers the the original post ?
    01-12-10 02:17 PM
    You should be able to do all the above within iTunes. After first activating the phone you can remove the sim card and still sync with iTunes. The phone will just show no sim where AT&T usually goes up top.

Well, so far it works. I bought an iPhone the night of the launch. While thinking about this very possibility today (as in was there a way for people to use the phone without service), I pulled the SIM card. I activated the phone Saturday morning without a problem, so this is post-activation testing. Without the SIM card, The iPhone shows "No SIM" in the top right area where the AT&T service bar usually is.

So, again, as of now it works. I did get a momentary "hiccup" in the phone's operation (I was browsing via WiFi and had a song playing in iTunes) when I pulled the SIM that was followed by a pop-up telling me that there was no SIM card. Since then though, all functions still work and no more hiccups or pop-up messages about the missing SIM. I'll keep the card out for as long as I can and try different things like syncing, etc to see if any of these cause issues without a SIM inserted.

I wonder if there is some kind of "time-out". In other words, if the phone hasn't detected a SIM to be present for some time or if the SIM is in but you then deactivate service, will the various functions cease at some point? I guess there's no way to tell without waiting it out.
    Just a quick update that I still have the SIM pulled and it's working just fine. I've done a few syncs, browsed the web, used the iPod features, etc all without a hitch. I'll post back if anything does come up.
    01-12-10 02:33 PM
    Cool...After I switch back to the BB 9700, I'll give it a try. I am worried about being able to update the 3gs software when an update is available but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it ....
    01-12-10 03:38 PM
    You should be able to update as well with no issues. AT&T is really independent of the phone, think of it as a computer that has a built in 3G radio chip.
    01-12-10 04:07 PM
    Alright, I'll give it a try ...Thanks !
    01-12-10 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD