I've had my 8830 WE (Verizon) since last October, and I'm simply bored with it. My contract ends next October, and I'd rather not force my father to pay an early-termination fee just so I can switch to AT&T to get an iPhone (although I desperately wish I could). So here's what I was thinking:
    a) downgrade my BB to an old VZW Razr I have laying around my apartment and buy an iPod touch.
    Upside: I'll have the touch (Safari + iCal), and no more paying for BB data
    Downside: Waste of a BB (it would replace the Razr in the junk drawer), and it's still no iPhone.

b) Wait it out for another year
    Upside: save dad some $
    Downside: another year with this boring phone...

c) Buy a new phone line on AT&T to get the iPhone.
    Even though I'll be getting what I want, this will leave pops with 2 bills (and paying Verizon $10/month for a phone line no one will be using)

A little background info.: I'm a 19 y/o college student. I probably send/receive no more than 10 text messages per month (even that sounds a little high...). I use email much more often (school and personal). I've really been itching for Apple's mobile Safari browser, and I'm no longer satisfied with my BB (haven't been for some time now)
    10-25-08 12:31 PM
    a) downgrade my BB to an old VZW Razr I have laying around my apartment and buy an iPod touch.
    Upside: I'll have the touch (Safari + iCal), and no more paying for BB data
    Downside: Waste of a BB (it would replace the Razr in the junk drawer), and it's still no iPhone.
    iPodT only has wifi, so unless u are in wifi area, its not gonna be exactly the most relaible email client. But iCal will be fine.

b) Wait it out for another year
    Upside: save dad some $
    Downside: another year with this boring phone...
    Well if you are absolutely bored with your phone, why dont you pay the ETF? I actually just went from the iPhone back to VZW and got my BB back. I use my iPhone as an iPT. I didn't think twice about etf since i was so unhappy with ATT service. (im a college student, i go to school full time and work 2nd shift full time. im not made of money or anything)

c) Buy a new phone line on AT&T to get the iPhone.
    Even though I'll be getting what I want, this will leave pops with 2 bills (and paying Verizon $10/month for a phone line no one will be using)
    Again, check ATT service in your area. I have "perfect" coverage(3G and edge) as stated on their coverage map, but yet the phone wouldn't work in my room, at work or at college....ERMMM ok. LOL

Maybe you should pay the ATT line if u are planning on that. It's not really fair to stick your father with 2 bills.

A little background info.: I'm a 19 y/o college student. I probably send/receive no more than 10 text messages per month (even that sounds a little high...). I use email much more often (school and personal). I've really been itching for Apple's mobile Safari browser, and I'm no longer satisfied with my BB (haven't been for some time now)
    I am a complete apple addict, love all my apple products...If you use email the most, i gotta admit BB does it better than apple....unless of course you spring for MobileMe which is an additional 99$ a year. I never could get my college email set up on my iphone. Yahoo pushes to the iPhone so if this is your primary email you might be ok. The iPhone data(visual voicemail/data browser) is 30$ a month same as BB. If you are "itching" so bad, maybe you should try it out. I prefer email on BB over iPhone. Safari is obv better than BB. Texting is easier on BB. App store on apple is great, and the iphone is even better when jailbroken

I had an IPT as soon as it released last year. I also had a BB pearl from vzw. The iPT was awesome, but i too itched for the iPhone(my apple addiction). Overall i loved the iPhone(and i text over 3000 a month), i loved everything about it, but the service is what killed me. I needed a phone that could actually make phone calls. Hence why i am back at VZW. I am keeping my iPhone tho, its sexy white and jailbroken perfectly And now it's an iPodT with a camera haha.
    10-25-08 12:47 PM
    You could wait for the Storm.

The biggest question is what you want and need in a device.

I choose the iPhone for a couple of reasons...

3g... I need the speed and I love being able to converse and still use date features such as IM, GPS, and others.

Email... I use Yahoo and this is perfect as it is pushed to the device without MobileMe. You can even have your other accounts pushed to Yahoo and you would always know when you had mail. I also love the HTML email and the large screen that allows the email to look like it does on my PC.

Browser... Nothing compares and I will not go into details as this is locked down with Safari.

Applications... The BeeJive IM, MySpace (BB doesn't have yet), Facebook, Games (like Crash and Super Monkey Balls), and many others look great and have terrific functionality. When push comes, it will be perfect overall.

SMS... I miss the threaded treo messaging and the iPhone does it better. It is like iChat or AIM on your Mac/PC.

Visual VM... I never did and never will like checking my VM. With VVM, I can delete, fast forward, and choose which message I want to listen to with my fingers.

iPod... Watching movies, playing media, and listening to podcasts are a breeze. I don't use this portion, but if you do, it is the best around.

Typing... I honestly found it easier to type on the iPhone. Auto-Correction makes it easier for me. I don't have to spend the extra half a second pressing down, rather I glide over the letters and I have my sentence.

I will be getting the Bold when it is released for the following reasons:

The screen resolution is sick.
    Blackberry Messenger... I love this thing.
    Background processes allows for notifications (until iPhone releases push notification)
    My work only allows me to use a berry as my company line and not an iPhone.

Edit: I love BB in general. I started with this Smartphone and will end it with this brand.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 10-25-08 at 03:42 PM.
    10-25-08 03:15 PM
    You could wait for the Storm.

The biggest question is what you want and need in a device.

I choose the iPhone for a couple of reasons...

3g... I need the speed and I love being able to converse and still use date features such as IM, GPS, and others.

Email... I use Yahoo and this is perfect as it is pushed to the device without MobileMe. You can even have your other accounts pushed to Yahoo and you would always know when you had mail. I also love the HTML email and the large screen that allows the email to look like it does on my PC.

Browser... Nothing compares and I will not go into details as this is locked down with Safari.

Applications... The BeeJive IM, MySpace (BB doesn't have yet), Facebook, Games (like Crash and Super Monkey Balls), and many others look great and have terrific functionality. When push comes, it will be perfect overall.

SMS... I miss the threaded treo messaging and the iPhone does it better. It is like iChat or AIM on your Mac/PC.

Visual VM... I never did and never will like checking my VM. With VVM, I can delete, fast forward, and choose which message I want to listen to with my fingers.

iPod... Watching movies, playing media, and listening to podcasts are a breeze. I don't use this portion, but if you do, it is the best around.

Typing... I honestly found it easier to type on the iPhone. Auto-Correction makes it easier for me. I don't have to spend the extra half a second pressing down, rather I glide over the letters and I have my sentence.

I will be getting the Bold when it is released for the following reasons:

The screen resolution is sick.
    Blackberry Messenger... I love this thing.
    Background processes allows for notifications (until iPhone releases push notification)
    My work only allows me to use a berry as my company line and not an iPhone.

Edit: I love BB in general. I started with this Smartphone and will end it with this brand.
    Good post. I have a question for you Jayden, I want to buy the Bold because I want both devices. Will AT&T be offering it without a plan on release, or will I have to wait a little while for that? Thanks in advance.
    10-25-08 04:23 PM
    Good post. I have a question for you Jayden, I want to buy the Bold because I want both devices. Will AT&T be offering it without a plan on release, or will I have to wait a little while for that? Thanks in advance.
    You mean no-commitment? If so, yes.
    10-25-08 05:26 PM
    You mean no-commitment? If so, yes.
    Ok. Yea I just want to buy it retail. I already committed with the iPhone.
    10-25-08 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD