I know that the iphone data plan is $30 a month but i was wondering if i could do this:
    go to att and buy a new iphone then go home call customer service and tell them i want to switch to a different phone (old razr) and put that imei number on that line and get the family data unlimited activated on it ( i have family plan with unlimited text) then just put the sim back in the iphone and use that data plan or maybe change the VPN settings or whatever it is then use that plan??

Also will I have to pay the first months bill in advanced like verizon? (I'm switching)
    08-14-09 09:18 AM
    ok so heres the thing i have att and i have the media net users data plan which is $15 or $30 for unlimited texting/media net and i had a g1 phone which i traded for a iphone 3g that was unlocked and jailbroken and running on 2.2.1 i put my sim card in and opened safari and the it was working!!!! i was surfing the net no problem i was checking email and everything.. of course i logged on to my account online and checked to make sure i was still on the same data plan and i was i didnt have the iphone data plan.. but where i messed up is i updated the iphone to 3.0 and jailbroke it but the thing is i didnt unlocked it and the internet did not work anymore with my data plan, i eventually sold the phone so there was no way of me knowing if the phone could use the $15 media net data plan on 3.0 software.. so if you dont mind trying to to unlock it and downgrading to 2.2.1 you can try it.. you will be paying $30 for unlimited texting/media net
    08-14-09 11:56 AM
    I know that the iphone data plan is $30 a month but i was wondering if i could do this:
    go to att and buy a new iphone then go home call customer service and tell them i want to switch to a different phone (old razr) and put that imei number on that line and get the family data unlimited activated on it ( i have family plan with unlimited text) then just put the sim back in the iphone and use that data plan or maybe change the VPN settings or whatever it is then use that plan??

Also will I have to pay the first months bill in advanced like verizon? (I'm switching)
    You should wait at least 30 days to do this but it MIGHT work. The reason I say wait 30 days is because they may ask for the iPhone back if you switch devices during the "free look" window.
    08-14-09 01:34 PM
    So as long as I jailbreak + unlock it's fine which isn't a problem because I've been on the jailbreaking scene since 1.1.1 with an iPod touch. Is there any way I can use it with no data plan if I wish? Same thing as I posted above but just don't add data plan (turn off 3G and EDGE and jusdt use wifi + phone)
    08-17-09 11:17 AM
    Jailbreaking the phone won't make any difference in what you are trying to accomplish. I am using a jailbroke 3g with the sim from my BB Bold with the BB data plan on it. I never let ATT know that I wanted to use the iphone, yet when I check my account online it shows that I have an iPhone in service, and when I call in to CS, I hear the option to speak to Apple Care.

It has to do with the imei--it is trackable within the network.

You will get away with it for a little while, but eventually they will either
    a.) shut you down
    b.) force the data plan onto your account
    c.) send you a bill with 'per usage' charges on it
    d.) combination of any or all of the above
    08-17-09 11:36 AM
    You can't turn off both 3g AND edge at the same time, cuz it needs one of them to function as a phone.

Yes, you can use it with no data plan at all--I have tried that for a few days myself just to see if there would be any charges on the bill (there weren't). I didn't do it for long, maybe a week at the most, so I can't really say what the long term would look like as far as billing goes...
    08-17-09 11:41 AM
    So they will find out? They can't add one without me knowing can they? I mean if I did no data I would put the data block on my line. I just can't afford the thirty dollars a month right now for the Internet on my phone especially when it has wifi AND the ten dollar data plan works perfectly fine.
    08-17-09 01:17 PM
    Yes they will find out. They will know your SIM is in an iPhone no matter what you tell them. It shows up in their system.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 01:21 PM
    What about an iPhone 2g? I recall a friend of mine removing his data plan and having like a 400 dollar overage from him still using the Internet but what I really want to do is use it as an iPod touch + phone (texting and phone) so I don't have to carry around 2 devices
    08-17-09 01:41 PM
    What about an iPhone 2g? I recall a friend of mine removing his data plan and having like a 400 dollar overage from him still using the Internet but what I really want to do is use it as an iPod touch + phone (texting and phone) so I don't have to carry around 2 devices
    You can try it out, but just be prepared to get charged. Just make sure you turn all data services off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 01:49 PM
    ya my friend works for att and he used to use his iphone without the data plan (and then would just use wifi if he wanted to use the internet or any app needing the internet). I just got a 3g a bit ago and have been paying for the data every month. Just a few days ago i asked if he could remove my data plan bc im a little low on money. He said that att just got a new big-brother software that can much more easily track and find those who have iphones who are not paying for the data plan. Att can then add the data plan to whoevers plan they find who is doing that and doesnt even tell them they are adding it. He said sometimes att will send your iphone a warning message, but sometimes not at all, theyll just add the data plan.
    I mean, its worth trying for a while bc who knows how long it will take them to find you (i currently have a different friend who is using an iphone with no data attached to it and is fine), but like others above have said, just keep an eye on ur bill to see if att adds the plan.
    08-18-09 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD