Okay I bought an Iphone from a friend to use as an ipod first or jail break and unlock to use on Verizon. So I tried to set up the phone with itunes and it wont connect with the sim card that came with the phone that was locked and all i wanted to do is bypass the sim card and jail break the phone . . . that isnt happening when i connect it to itunes it asks for a sim card to be install, then i tried with the sim card you left in it and it says that its locked, then finally i tried with my sim card from verizon and it says that it needs an AT&T sim card only ugh! Any ideas on what i can do?
    04-29-10 04:42 PM
    Is it an iPhone 3G or 3GS?

Also what OS version does it have? 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 etc
    04-29-10 04:46 PM
    It is the 8gb 3G and i cant connect it to itunes and i cant look on it to find the OS because i am locked out of it
    04-29-10 04:50 PM
    Not sure about some of the issues your having, but one I can help you with.

The iPhone will NOT work on Verizon. Nothing you can do to get it to work. The iPhone has only a GSM radio in it, and Verizon uses CDMA. The SIM cards in Verizon's phones are for international use, Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. The Storms and Tour have both CDMA and GSM radios, so the GSM side of them can be unlocked.
    04-29-10 04:56 PM
    Okay so that did help me a little bit basiclly you are telling me no matter what i can not use the iphone on verizons network and that is fine im not that worried about it because i have my blackberry and im perfectly happy with it until the iphone comes to verizon. So now i just want to use the iphone i have as a ipod how can i make this happen?
    04-29-10 05:00 PM
    If it's anything like mine, you will have to put a genuine sim card in it that works to start with. (original network)

Then you can jailbreak etc...
    04-29-10 05:00 PM
    So let me get this straight. You can't get into the phone without an ATT Sim card. Well,why not buy an ATT sim card.
    04-29-10 05:05 PM
    Just use blackra1n or redsn0w to jailbreak the iPhone. That will bypass the lock, allowing you to use the phone without a sim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 05:09 PM
    If it's anything like mine, you will have to put a genuine sim card in it that works to start with. (original network)

Then you can jailbreak etc...
    I have an AT&T sim card from the previous owner of the phone but since he let that plan go it locked that sim card
    So let me get this straight. You can't get into the phone without an ATT Sim card. Well,why not buy an ATT sim card.
    I tried to go to AT&T today and buy one but the guy wouldnt let me do that with out an AT&T service contract and the cheapest contract is $70 a month with a 2 year contract and im not about to do that
    Just use blackra1n or redsn0w to jailbreak the iPhone. That will bypass the lock, allowing you to use the phone without a sim.

Can you point me in the right direction for that?

and dont i have to hook it up to itunes before i can jail break it using any of that stuff?
    04-29-10 05:14 PM
    if you have 3.1.2 or lower going to blackra1n.com. It should allow you to jailbreak it.

On a side note, the iPhone always has to be activated via iTune before use when not jailbroken. And it has to be done with a valid AT&T SIM card. It takes a couple seconds for it to activate. I would try blackra1n. I'm pretty sure it will jailbreak it and bypass the lock screen. If it doesn't work

1) just sign up for an AT&T contract activate your phone and then cancel the contract. You have 30 days to do so without penalty and since you have your own iPhone you're good to go.

2) Find someone with AT&T and have them put the SIM in and hook it back up ti iTunes.
    04-30-10 08:35 AM
    Is it an iPhone 3G or 3GS?

Also what OS version does it have? 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 etc
    They have the same features and specifications but the difference is the speed.. it is more high speed than the old iphone, that is why there is a S in the 3GS it means "Speed"

i hope this can help you out
    05-01-10 02:03 AM
    They have the same features and specifications but the difference is the speed.. it is more high speed than the old iphone, that is why there is a S in the 3GS it means "Speed"

i hope this can help you out
    Same features? The iPhone 3GS has many features the iPhone 3G doesn't have. Thats going to be especially true once iPhone os 4.0 comes out.

05-01-10 02:52 AM
    if you have 3.1.2 or lower going to blackra1n.com. It should allow you to jailbreak it.

On a side note, the iPhone always has to be activated via iTune before use when not jailbroken. And it has to be done with a valid AT&T SIM card. It takes a couple seconds for it to activate. I would try blackra1n. I'm pretty sure it will jailbreak it and bypass the lock screen. If it doesn't work

1) just sign up for an AT&T contract activate your phone and then cancel the contract. You have 30 days to do so without penalty and since you have your own iPhone you're good to go.

2) Find someone with AT&T and have them put the SIM in and hook it back up ti iTunes.
    This is not true because all i did was pull out the sim card and trashed it, Then used redsn0w and was able to jail break it with no problems

Did not have to activate it

All you have to do is turn off the phone then holding the power button and the menu button at the same time plug it back in and you will put it into recovery mode and then you can hook it up to the itunes and recover it in 3.1.2 then you can jail break it with redsn0w no probelms at all
    05-02-10 12:15 AM
    This is not true because all i did was pull out the sim card and trashed it, Then used redsn0w and was able to jail break it with no problems

All you have to do is turn off the phone then holding the power button and the menu button at the same time plug it back in and you will put it into recovery mode and then you can hook it up to the itunes and recover it in 3.1.2 then you can jail break it with redsn0w no probelms at all
    He is correct. You jailbroke and that was the reason you were able to activate without the sim card.
    05-02-10 11:27 AM
    Okay I bought an Iphone from a friend to use as an ipod first or jail break and unlock to use on Verizon. So I tried to set up the phone with itunes and it wont connect with the sim card that came with the phone that was locked and all i wanted to do is bypass the sim card and jail break the phone . . . that isnt happening when i connect it to itunes it asks for a sim card to be install, then i tried with the sim card you left in it and it says that its locked, then finally i tried with my sim card from verizon and it says that it needs an AT&T sim card only ugh! Any ideas on what i can do?

Need a active AT&T sim card to bypass the iTunes screen and Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. Thats a Vodafone SIM card from their Parent company to be used overseas. Verizon uses CDMA technology, not GSM.
    05-02-10 11:55 AM

I know. That's why I said the iPhone always has to be activated via iTunes with a AT&T sim card when not jailbreaking it.
    05-02-10 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD