Apple to Hold iPhone Event on Sept. 9 | Re/code
    http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/05/apple-...nt-for-sept-9/

It looks as though Apple may be officially announcing the iPhone 6 earlier than anticipated. What does this mean for BlackBerry's tentative announcement of the Passport on September 12th? I'll be picking up a BlackBerry Passport no matter what, but it doesn't look good if has BlackBerry wasted their buzz two months ahead of release, and then is still beaten by Apple's release schedule.

I just hope we don't see another Q10 US release debacle.
    08-07-14 10:55 AM
    Must we continue to compare everything Apple does to BlackBerry?

As many have already expressed, the iPhone and Passport are on two different planets in regards to target audience. Yes, both can be purchase through retail, however; PKs are an acquired taste. It won't be for everyone. So it doesn't matter when the Passport is released. Whether its before, on the same day or after the iPhone reveal, it won't make a difference.
    08-07-14 11:25 AM
    Nice that you gave the date. Did you find out at what time they are gonna release?

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    08-07-14 11:27 AM
    I doubt it really matters. The iPhone will sell no matter what and I am not sure how BBRY will even start a marketing campaign for casual consumers. Last bit I heard BlackBerry keeps being ffocussed on enterprise, business and prosumers. Which most likely means there won't be any heavy TV ads. Of course it would kinda suck if BlackBerry has the Passport event on the same day or before/after Apples event. Yet one week later won't hurt the Passport at all.
    Last but not least I still stand to the point saying the iPhone is a mainstream device for the masses, while the Passport simply ain't.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    08-07-14 11:45 AM
    The Passport has generated a lot of relatively mainstream media presence in the past past month. To overlook its potential is folly.

And yes, why not compare Apple's handling or announcements and releases to BlackBerry? I guarantee you that Apple is keeping an eye on the potentially disruptive tech and form factor of the Passport. And I guarantee you that BlackBerry is keeping an eye on Apple's announcement and release schedule.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 12:07 PM
    Sep will be very crowded. Samsung has a very big launch planned for the Note 4 on 03 Sep and HTC is believed to be releasing a model as well.
    08-07-14 12:24 PM
    And I guarantee you that BlackBerry is keeping an eye on Apple's announcement and release schedule.

Posted via CB10
    If you think so...
    08-07-14 01:27 PM
    If you think so...
    Of course BlackBerry are paying attention to Apple and the iPhone release. It would be A a serious mistake for them to disregard Apple again.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    08-07-14 09:20 PM
    Must we continue to compare everything Apple does to BlackBerry?

As many have already expressed, the iPhone and Passport are on two different planets in regards to target audience. Yes, both can be purchase through retail, however; PKs are an acquired taste. It won't be for everyone. So it doesn't matter when the Passport is released. Whether its before, on the same day or after the iPhone reveal, it won't make a difference.
    It does make a difference. The iPhone release has the potential to overshadow the Passport release in the media and therefore seriously impact sales.

08-07-14 09:23 PM
    passport is for the bosses and iphone is for the ballers
    eduzojordan likes this.
    08-07-14 09:50 PM
    It does make a difference. The iPhone release has the potential to overshadow the Passport release in the media and therefore seriously impact sales.

The iPhone release WILL overshadow the Passport's release... there in no doubt about that. Apple has invented the Phablet... where have you been!

Most of us don't see the iPhone affecting Passport sales.... I expect the iPhone6 will sell out in a week with devices having to be back ordered. I expect that after two weeks the Passport will sell out also... but it will be he difference of 15 Million Phones vs 15 Thousand Phones.
    walt63, eduzojordan and Dmessenger like this.
    08-08-14 07:50 AM
    BlackBerry would like to hit their target of 10 million sold, so 5 million passports is not unreasonable, regardless of when it launches.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 08:03 AM
    BlackBerry would like to hit their target of 10 million sold, so 5 million passports is not unreasonable, regardless of when it launches.

Posted via CB10
    You think they are going to well 5,000,000 Passports?

08-08-14 08:47 AM
    You think they are going to well 5,000,000 Passports?

1.6 million a quarter, you don't see it? What ever it turns out to be, 1,3-5 million a year, as a percentage of the 10 million goal along with the z3 and classic is realistic imo. I don't see iPhone releasing a few weeks before or after changing things for BlackBerry at this point. The iPhone people (those people) are not going to be swayed if they have their sights on it now.

Posted via CB10
    eduzojordan likes this.
    08-08-14 11:00 AM
    And yes, why not compare Apple's handling or announcements and releases to BlackBerry?
    Posted via CB10
    Maybe cuz Passport is not for mass consumption. I think JC already said, or some of his actions had,
    that BB is gonna regain Enterprise niche. If Passport is accepted by consumers other than Enterprise,
    fine, but is not like Passport was though to compete with iPhone or Galaxy devices in consumer segment!
    08-08-14 11:09 AM
    1.6 million a quarter, you don't see it? What ever it turns out to be, 1,3-5 million a year, as a percentage of the 10 million goal along with the z3 and classic is realistic imo. I don't see iPhone releasing a few weeks before or after changing things for BlackBerry at this point. The iPhone people (those people) are not going to be swayed if they have their sights on it now.

Posted via CB10
    Nope I don't see it.....

I've got my doubts about the Z3 selling more than 1 million in a single quarter, sure don't think the Passport will do it.
    08-08-14 11:28 AM
    Nope I don't see it.....

I've got my doubts about the Z3 selling more than 1 million in a single quarter, sure don't think the Passport will do it.
    When the devices are launched globally I believe the portfolio as a whole is more attractive then the first batch launched, in that they have been fine tuned to meet BlackBerrys core customers expectations (us).
    I'm in for the passport even though I have a year left on my z10 contract. Over the past years I've never had the urge to upgrade before it was time. The passports unique design, makes me want to reach for it. I'm not speaking for everyone but I think they may have something that pulls people in.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 02:16 PM
    Is Crackberry really on crack? This propaganda that iPhone and BlackBerry Passport audiences are so different is nonsense. Both companies are releasing phablets within weeks of each other in the hyper-competitive smartphone market. They are competing directly because people who are considering the Passport are likely to consider the iPhone Phablet or iPhone 6, especially if Apple beats BlackBerry to market.

The fact that the iPhone will be getting all the attention with new features cannot be good news for BlackBerry. Plus, the bigger iPhones will be better for business functions, have a bigger battery, be compatible with Apple's wearables, NFC, etc. and can argue that they are a better business solution than ever.

The addition of a pkb doesn't change all of that.

Like it or not, Passport is going toe to toe with Apple.

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    JeepBB and Roo Zilla like this.
    08-08-14 07:22 PM
    Is Crackberry really on crack? This propaganda that iPhone and BlackBerry Passport audiences are so different is nonsense. Both companies are releasing phablets within weeks of each other in the hyper-competitive smartphone market. They are competing directly because people who are considering the Passport are likely to consider the iPhone Phablet or iPhone 6, especially if Apple beats BlackBerry to market.

The fact that the iPhone will be getting all the attention with new features cannot be good news for BlackBerry. Plus, the bigger iPhones will be better for business functions, have a bigger battery, be compatible with Apple's wearables, NFC, etc. and can argue that they are a better business solution than ever.

The addition of a pkb doesn't change all of that.

Like it or not, Passport is going toe to toe with Apple.

Of course you're absolutely right. The thing is that it makes the BlackBerry faithful feel better to try to make the claim that they are targeted to different groups. Then if the Passport is annihilated they can then go on to claim that it doesn't matter because all the people buying iPhones were never meant to buy the Passport.

Last edited by crazigee; 08-09-14 at 06:01 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-09-14 04:46 PM
    The iPhone people (those people) are not going to be swayed if they have their sights on it now.

Posted via CB10
    That's true as far as it goes. Apple retains their customers to an extent no other company enjoys. But the problem is that that with every iPhone release, there are always more of "those people."

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    08-09-14 05:19 PM
    Of course you're absolutely right. The thing is that it makes the BlackBerry faithful feel better to try to make the claim that they are targeted to different groups. Then if the Passport is annihilated they can then go on to claim that it doesn't matter because all the people buying iPhones were never meant to buy the Passport.

No...you both are interpreting incorrectly. It's not about it just being a device and being launched at the same time. Let me break it down for you in a business sense.

Products are broken into segmentation. Meaning, the form factors and attributes of the device are similar to its competitors.
    The iPhone is a not in the same product segment as the Passport. You have full touch screens and you have physical keyboards. The form factors are completely different. It's like sports car competing with a luxury sedan.

The Passport is most likely going to appeal to those who have always liked physical keyboards but wants to play too. Many of the old BlackBerry customers left because there were no fun factor to the device. They could communicate efficiently for 8 hours, but couldn't then wind down with Candy Crush or catch up on their favorite shows while on the train. The Passport could get those people back, BUT only the ones that appreciate the physical keyboard. The PK is an acquired taste.

I believe that BlackBerry is trying to put themselves in a position to be identified as, "BlackBerry is physical keyboard", instead of "BlackBerry is business". There's a huge difference in both statements.

The Z3 LTE or "Manitoba" is going to be the product to go head to head with the iPhone and Galaxy.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 10:38 AM
    I would just wish they would give us a launch date and maybe some pre order data (pricing). For me the pricing is going to be the key.

Sorry, but I have changed how I look at any new purchase for myself or my business. There must be a "value added" feature that's going to convince me to spend my hard earned money, period.

If Blackberry comes out with an aggressive pricing scheme that's makes the passport more attractive then it's competitors, then I am all in in.

But, if they make the target price some crazy number which makes the iPhone 6 a better buy. Well, it won't take a financial genius to figure out my decision.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    Karben likes this.
    08-11-14 02:59 PM
    No...you both are interpreting incorrectly. It's not about it just being a device and being launched at the same time. Let me break it down for you in a business sense.

Products are broken into segmentation. Meaning, the form factors and attributes of the device are similar to its competitors.
    The iPhone is a not in the same product segment as the Passport. You have full touch screens and you have physical keyboards. The form factors are completely different. It's like sports car competing with a luxury sedan.

The Passport is most likely going to appeal to those who have always liked physical keyboards but wants to play too. Many of the old BlackBerry customers left because there were no fun factor to the device. They could communicate efficiently for 8 hours, but couldn't then wind down with Candy Crush or catch up on their favorite shows while on the train. The Passport could get those people back, BUT only the ones that appreciate the physical keyboard. The PK is an acquired taste.

I believe that BlackBerry is trying to put themselves in a position to be identified as, "BlackBerry is physical keyboard", instead of "BlackBerry is business". There's a huge difference in both statements.

The Z3 LTE or "Manitoba" is going to be the product to go head to head with the iPhone and Galaxy.

Posted via CB10
    The notion that a midrange device like the BlackBerry Z3 LTE is designed to go up against the flagship level iPhone 6's and Galaxy S5's of the world is simply incorrect. The Z3 should be much cheaper and will lack features as compared to the iPhone 6, right?

And the rest of your response is what is so weird and, in my opinion, grossly incorrect in the thinking of so many on this site. Anytime you have customers who are considering buying a phablet smartphone, they will have a set of phones that they are considering buying. For instance, they may be considering the Passport, the Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6, and the iPhablet, and they will ultimately choose one phone that they will actually purchase. So, the physical keyboard (pkb) offered by the Passport is only a single distinctive feature offered by the device, like the integrated stylus of the Note 4 is a distinctive feature. Neither feature changes the fact that both smartphones are classed as smartphone phablets on sale in a few weeks in direct competition with each other.

The real question is whether Passport's pkb will be considered enough of a value adding feature, given that many people do not like pkb phones, to win many sales against other competing smartphones and phablets. That is, the pkb is loved by some but is actually a negative to many. The Note's stylus may not be someone's favorite thing, but it probably wouldn't cause them to deselect the phone like the pkb might. Time will tell us the answer as to how the Passport sales performance goes.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-11-14 04:21 PM
    The notion that a midrange device like the BlackBerry Z3 LTE is designed to go up against the flagship level iPhone 6's and Galaxy S5's of the world is simply incorrect. The Z3 should be much cheaper and will lack features as compared to the iPhone 6, right?

And the rest of your response is what is so weird and, in my opinion, grossly incorrect in the thinking of so many on this site. Anytime you have customers who are considering buying a phablet smartphone, they will have a set of phones that they are considering buying. For instance, they may be considering the Passport, the Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6, and the iPhablet, and they will ultimately choose one phone that they will actually purchase. So, the physical keyboard (pkb) offered by the Passport is only a single distinctive feature offered by the device, like the integrated stylus of the Note 4 is a distinctive feature. Neither feature changes the fact that both smartphones are classed as smartphone phablets on sale in a few weeks in direct competition with each other.

The real question is whether Passport's pkb will be considered enough of a value adding feature, given that many people do not like pkb phones, to win many sales against other competing smartphones and phablets. That is, the pkb is loved by some but is actually a negative to many. The Note's stylus may not be someone's favorite thing, but it probably wouldn't cause them to deselect the phone like the pkb might. Time will tell us the answer as to how the Passport sales performance goes.

If the Z3 LTE/Manitoba is actually launched this year, it will have 10.3. Therefore, the OS will be more advanced than what you see today. From what's been detailed concretely about 10.3 thus far, the features look to be on par with the competition.

Secondly, a consumer has a purchasing decision. That's obvious. But my comment was about whether the Passport is set out to compete against the iPhone. I really don't believe it is. Heck...quite frankly, it may be in a league of it's own. It's that different from the other form factors. And yes, BlackBerry hopes to sway some customers away, but what company doesn't with a new product. The just business logic - always try to win new business and customers.
    08-11-14 09:50 PM
    What are you talking about. It won't make a difference???? The target audience isn't always the audience. People tend to want to try something new and the iphone6 will be there new new. When they could have tried the passport but wouldn't want to risk it and decided to go with what they already know

Posted Via This Thing They Call The BlackBerry ?Z30
    08-11-14 10:48 PM
33 12