The thing is made of aluminum and is the thinnest & lightest device in its class. Of course it's gonna bend should the user not take precautions.
    09-30-14 10:28 AM
    iPhone 6 destroys Android competitors in multi-tasking speed test https://t.co/IuaZNcn2aS

Twitter: xandermac
    10-02-14 04:49 PM
    iPhone 6 destroys Android competitors in multi-tasking speed test https://t.co/IuaZNcn2aS

Twitter: xandermac
    That is not multi-tasking. The phone is not doing 2 or more tasks in the same time. It's app switching/loading.

Also, Android apps are compiled on runtime, so it takes longer until they open. Once they are open though, performance/speed would be similar to iOS. With the inclusion of the Art compiler (https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html) apps will be compiled ahead of time, resulting in increased speeds. We don't know if Art was enabled or not on those devices.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    10-03-14 11:33 AM
    Android has true multitasking for third party apps, iOS does not, except through a limited selection of APIs approved by Apple.

The advantages of the iOS approach are that battery life is better allowing a small battery to implementation is simpler. To some extent security is also better owing to this conservative approach.

The disadvantages of the iOS approach are lack of functionality, reduced flexibility and a frustrating user experience for background downloads and advanced settings.

One exception is the iBend app, which works seamlessly with all apps. You can bend the phone no matter which other apps are running at the same time :-).
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 10-03-14 at 06:29 PM.
    10-03-14 12:14 PM
    Except that the iPhone destroyed them

That is not multi-tasking. The phone is not doing 2 or more tasks in the same time. It's app switching/loading.

Also, Android apps are compiled on runtime, so it takes longer until they open. Once they are open though, performance/speed would be similar to iOS. With the inclusion of the Art compiler (https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html) apps will be compiled ahead of time, resulting in increased speeds. We don't know if Art was enabled or not on those devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 06:16 AM
    ^^ this is 100% true, apple's really twisted the use of the word
    The method Apple uses is like WP, apps in the background are tombstoned and aren't using resources, the exception being music apps. Microsoft however refers to a multitasking view but that's only for switching between the tombstoned apps.
    11-04-14 10:30 AM
    I thought on the Surface you could run two apps side by side? In fact, I thought that fueled hopes this fall that Apple would release that feature in iOS 8?
    There's very definitely code in there (iOS 8) that allows "split-screening" between 2 apps. Most likely for the yet to be announced iPad Pro.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-14 12:40 AM
    It's not been reported because it's under non-disclosure agreement. But I've seen the code execute myself. (I have a developer account.)

It's also not a very closely-held secret. If you listen to any tech podcasts like iMore or Accidental Tech Podcast, guys like John Siracusa, Rene Richie, and Dave Wiskus have all referred to it.

But no. No one's committed it to writing because that would violate the NDA all developers agree to.
    11-16-14 03:20 AM
    The method Apple uses is like WP, apps in the background are tombstoned and aren't using resources, the exception being music apps.
    Not quite. Music apps are also 'tombstoned' as you said. However, music can continue to play in the background because of very specific multitasking APIs that Apple introduced years ago. Background activity is controlled exclusively by APIs. You could say that Apple went the hard way when they made this possible, by creating this extensive API framework instead of just allowing apps to continue running.

remember the iPhone 2G with the alu back? It was a great design. And then they released the iPhone 3G and 3GS with the plastic and scratchy back. I never understood why they didn't improved in design. Same pattern here. They really don't care.

http://www.macmania.at/wp-content/up...g_iphone2g.png
    It wasn't really that great. In fact, the original iPhone had a significant design flaw: it's metal back blocked the antenna and led to poor reception. That was one of the two reasons why the iPhone 3G/3GS had a plastic back (the other one was a lower price). The antenna is probably the only single component that Apple always changed with a new design. With the 3G/3GS it was the plastic back, the 4/4S had a metal antenna band with gaps (which was initially a design flaw too; 'antenna gate'), the 5/5S kept the metal band in addition to a thinly-coated patch on the back and the 6/6+ finally put the 'antenna lines' on the upper and lower part of the back.
    Last edited by Eitot; 11-26-14 at 10:03 AM.
    11-20-14 02:57 AM
    Not quite. Music apps are also 'tombstoned' as you said. However, music can continue to play in the background because of very specific multitasking APIs that Apple introduced years ago. Background activity is controlled exclusively by APIs. You could say that Apple went the hard way when they made this possible, by creating this extensive API framework instead of just allowing apps to continue running.
    That "...extensive API framework..." increases battery life compared with Android and, I would guess BB10 as well. On WP those tombstoned apps use no resources either, the trade off is that apps have to go through a resuming state before they are ready for use again. I don't agree that this was the hard way of doing things as battery life suffers with apps constantly running and with the already dire battery life that the iPhone has the tombstoning method is the better option.
    11-24-14 03:22 PM
    That "...extensive API framework..." increases battery life compared with Android and, I would guess BB10 as well. On WP those tombstoned apps use no resources either, the trade off is that apps have to go through a resuming state before they are ready for use again. I don't agree that this was the hard way of doing things as battery life suffers with apps constantly running and with the already dire battery life that the iPhone has the tombstoning method is the better option.
    We don't disagree about that. ;-)

Even now after almost a year with BlackBerry 10, I haven't gotten used to BlackBerry's multitasking behaviour. I still close all apps immediately when I don't need them and only leave one or two open (not that it's much of an option on a Z10 anyway). To me there is no real benefit of having apps run in the background, at least not compared to the Apple way. The only unfortunate thing is that Apple took years to implement this, so long that some Android users still think that there is no form of multitasking on iOS.
    neo158 likes this.
    11-26-14 09:52 AM
    Apart from the fact that the prices may be high to others, the additional price of the iPhone six plus has surprised many. The difference is about a hundred dollars or so and many wonder just what the plus is all about. Well, it’s the screen size and a few more other features for the people who prefer gadgets with little more additions-from blog at Newfrog.com.
    01-28-15 01:22 AM
362 ... 131415