Great observation!

I warched it for the second time and at 3:47 also it's very clear the screen broke off.

Just watch it on a large screen in HD, you can see it broken without any doubt.
    The front glass separated from the device in one corner, but the display/digitizer didn't break. Nor did the glass break. If the display/digitizer doesn't break, as well the overlaying glass remains intact... That's a huge pass for the test. That's at worst a do it yourself repair. In fact, while I have yet to look at an iPhone 6 breakdown, I'd bet dollars to donuts that all he had to do was press and click the separated area back in to place.

As someone who replaces the front glass on many devices for a smorgasbord of clumsy acquaintances, for no more than $25 for parts... The phone stood up well.

Sure, the front lifted off in one corner, but that's an incredibly minor result compared to what normally happens.

Penned via Tapatalk
    09-20-14 03:20 PM
    I though I saw that too!.. the white bezel seemed to flex quite a bit, and come "unglued" or whatever. Probably why they were actually surprised by the lack of cracks, when he turned it around.

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't the white piece just the packaging tray the iPhone sits in?

Edit. Nevermind, I though you were talking about the Australian one.

Twitter: xandermac
    09-20-14 04:37 PM
    Wasn't the white piece just the packaging tray the iPhone sits in?

Edit. Nevermind, I though you were talking about the Australian one.

Twitter: xandermac
    Hahahahaha.... just went back to see which one you meant (missed it somehow),.. hahahaha... poor kid.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 04:43 PM
    Hahahahaha.... just went back to see which one you meant (missed it somehow),.. hahahaha... poor kid.

Posted via CB10
    He got lucky lol. He obviously hasn't learned the sacred art of the foot-save lol. Any time something drops from my hands (ESPECIALLY my phone), its natural instinct for my foot to rush out and cushion the fall lol
    09-20-14 06:52 PM
    The front glass separated from the device in one corner, but the display/digitizer didn't break. Nor did the glass break. If the display/digitizer doesn't break, as well the overlaying glass remains intact... That's a huge pass for the test. That's at worst a do it yourself repair. In fact, while I have yet to look at an iPhone 6 breakdown, I'd bet dollars to donuts that all he had to do was press and click the separated area back in to place.

As someone who replaces the front glass on many devices for a smorgasbord of clumsy acquaintances, for no more than $25 for parts... The phone stood up well.

Sure, the front lifted off in one corner, but that's an incredibly minor result compared to what normally happens.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Guy's. You need to watch the video on the other thread about this. BOTH iphone6's failed in that video. This video is a total fake like others have already said. I was actually hopeful that Apple used some kind of unbreakable sapphire screen but the other video proves they didn't.
    09-20-14 10:02 PM
    Drop-testing in the QA phase of product development is fine, required and useful. Drop testing on hundreds of thousands of internet videos is an activity for people who should be doing something better with their time.

Do you see people crashing cars on personal videos left right and center? And is that an argument against crash-testing for cars? Come on!
    Hundreds of thousands? Wtf

Too many things for me to argue with, letting this go.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-21-14 01:15 AM
    Now my question is...

At the sides of the screen where the bezel and the actual screen connects, what will it look like after a screen replacement?

Is it going to look like brand new?

Hehehe
    09-21-14 01:44 AM
    I was actually hopeful that Apple used some kind of unbreakable sapphire screen but the other video proves they didn’t.
    Sapphire is likely more prone to cracking as it is harder than glass. Besides, with Apple’s usual tendency to make thin devices, they’d probably rob the sapphire screen of its advantages by scraping off a couple of millimetres more to make the display thinner. An iPhone without a case is an accident waiting to happen, that won’t change anytime soon.
    lift likes this.
    09-21-14 11:15 AM
    Hundreds of thousands? Wtf

Too many things for me to argue with, letting this go.
    iPhone 6 and 6 Plus drop test-screen-shot-2014-09-21-12.30.38-pm.png

So, what were you were saying again? Not saying that the number is accurate, but the order of magnitude is reasonable, actually. If you take the number of smartphones (not to mention other phones or wearables) released and multiply it by the average number of drop tests for each, you might actually reach that number.
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 09-21-14 at 03:27 PM.
    09-21-14 02:33 PM
    Here's the real test
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=959896

Posted via My Cute BlackBerry z30
    lift likes this.
    09-21-14 03:01 PM
    You can do a drop test 100 times and probably get a 50/50 split of it breaking or not. No phone really is immune and it will only matter that one time it hits just right to shatter
    xandermac and clickitykeys like this.
    09-21-14 03:15 PM
    You can do a drop test 100 times and probably get a 50/50 split of it breaking or not. No phone really is immune and it will only matter that one time it hits just right to shatter
    This, exactly. To get a statistically meaningful answer, it is necessary to do hundreds of drop tests that account for all variations. Therefore, a single drop test on YouTube (or on stupid programs like CNET's Always on) is utterly meaningless.

To confuse that with QA is quite ridiculous.
    09-21-14 03:25 PM
    Someone posted a video of the z10 drop test too in that thread and it also failed.

Posted via My Cute BlackBerry z30
    09-21-14 03:31 PM
    This is very true. But there are some factors that reduce the likelihood. Rounded corners on the device helps, because it distributes the kinetic energy at impact. Tempered/hardened glass is a must (but then too that's an industry standard). Additionally, the glass should act as a fuse, whereas it will take the brunt of kinetic force and break before the digitizer.

Penned via Tapatalk
    09-21-14 03:57 PM
    We have the technology and the ability to make things far better than we currently do. We also have the resources so there is no excuse. So yes devices need to be able to with stand peoples busy lifestyles, and we all know someone who has one of these and had managed to drop and smash their screen. Having a device that sets bar for all other devices when it comes to durability is a good thing. It sucks that it's Apple and not BlackBerry or Samsung but the other companies have had their chance and they keep releasing junk, so you gotta hand it to Apple to for stepping up to the plate.
    The drop test for iPhone 6 and 6+ I watched on YouTube they both failed. The 6+ failed on the side drop test, the 6 failed the front drop test quite spectacularly.

Bar indeed.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 05:54 PM
    Drop-testing in the QA phase of product development is fine, required and useful. Drop testing on hundreds of thousands of internet videos is an activity for people who should be doing something better with their time.

Do you see people crashing cars on personal videos left right and center? And is that an argument against crash-testing for cars? Come on!
    Phones aren't cars. We don?t get to find out the build quality and durability of a phone till we've already wasted our money. These drop tests at least let people make an informed decision.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-21-14 05:56 PM
41 12