Today Apple Insider published a report suggesting that Apple will begin production of the iPhone 5 this September for an October release. This falls into line with previous reports that Apple would forego its regular June release schedule in order to maximize production volumes.

The report comes by way of analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities, who cited sources within Apple's manufacturing partners.

In addition to the production schedule, Kuo also said that the next-generation iPhone would feature an 8-megapixel camera and Apple's new A5 processor, which can currently be found in the iPad 2. Additionally, Apple will allegedly adopt a new wireless chipset, which will be compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks, and an improved antenna design.

Interestingly, Kuo claims that the iPhone 5 will feature only slight modifications from the iPhone 4, and that Apple is instead saving a substantial hardware overhaul for the iPhone 6, which he says will arrive in the first half of 2012.

Though Apple is unlikely to comment on Kuo's claims, he has accurately reported the major features and production of other notable products, including the screen resolution and camera technology in the iPad 2, and the production of the white iPhone 4.
    Link

I know these are all rumors as of now, but if this turns out to be true then I will keep my plan of getting the Verizon iPhone 4 this week and just wait for the iPhone 6. I don't really care about an 8 megapixel camera, and is the A5 processor much better than the A4 that is currently in the iPhone 4?

I have a feeling that the jump from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 will be like the jump from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS -- slightly faster and a better camera. Then the jump from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 will be the major one like the 3GS to the 4.

I keep hearing talks about Apple making the next iPhone with a larger screen to compete with the Android phones and I honestly don't want that. I prefer the small compact package that the iPhone currently has. I hate the size of the Droid X, EVO and Thunderbolt.
    04-19-11 01:50 AM
    Surprised a cosmetic touch here and there wouldn't be done?
    Looks like many will simply keep the 4 if this ends up being the case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 03:25 AM
    I read the same article on Engadget last night. If this guy's right-- it really blows. And all this iPhone six is in the works for early 2012 is a load of crap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 04:56 AM
    I don't see Apple releasing iPhone 6 anytime in 2012. If the rumor is true that Iphone 5 will be relleased in late 2011 they would wait a year to relase a new one. But this whole thing is throwing off the past timeline. I just makes sense for Apple to wait till spring of 2012 to release the Iphone 5. Then waiting till the following year 2013 to release any new version. Needless to say I would love to see the 5 in 2011!
    04-19-11 07:00 AM
    Link

I know these are all rumors as of now, but if this turns out to be true then I will keep my plan of getting the Verizon iPhone 4 this week and just wait for the iPhone 6. I don't really care about an 8 megapixel camera, and is the A5 processor much better than the A4 that is currently in the iPhone 4?
    Yes the A5 is that much better. It is dual core. It is more capable. Check out some of the benchmark and other scores between the A4 and A5.

I have a feeling that the jump from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 will be like the jump from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS -- slightly faster and a better camera. Then the jump from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 will be the major one like the 3GS to the 4.
    It will be a big upgrade. The hardware is much more powerful. The 3-3GS is less.

I keep hearing talks about Apple making the next iPhone with a larger screen to compete with the Android phones and I honestly don't want that. I prefer the small compact package that the iPhone currently has. I hate the size of the Droid X, EVO and Thunderbolt.
    The device will not be the size of the Evo or Droid X. It will be the same size as the iPhone 4 now (rumor), with a larger screen. All they have to do it take away the black boarder around the screen now, make it actually viewing space and you get a 4inch screen. The size of the device itself should not change much, if it does at at all.
    04-19-11 10:27 AM
    Just curious but serious. How high would they go on the model numbers?
    04-19-11 10:40 AM
    This is a very interesting topic and it brings up a very possible good point. I remember reading that the iPad 2 is something like a device Apple released in order to keep sales flowing and to hold everyone over until the iPad 3.

I read things about Apple having some slick new things in the pipeline but that they weren't ready (biggest example I can think of is that Apple was working on a cool new screen but it wasn't ready so iPad 2 got the same screen as iPad 1). Supposedly the iPad 3 is going to be the big leap forward and really wow everyone.

Anyways getting back to the iPhone, I feel that the iPhone 5 falls into the same "hold everyone over" spot as the iPad 2 does until the iPhone 6 comes along and really shakes things up.

So one would think, well why does Apple do that? All they have to do is just not release the iPhone 5 this year and continue working on what they really want to have released. Well I believe it really boils down to business and money. Whether or not the iPhone 5 and iPad 2 are really the leap forward Apple intended, they are still fresh devices and people will go out and buy them.
    04-19-11 11:12 AM
    Not sure. I can see them continuously going.
    04-19-11 11:36 AM
    I'd say they just keep going and going.
    04-19-11 11:40 AM
    Maybe we will see a iPhone 20GS in our lifetime with the rate Apple keeps making new models
    04-19-11 01:49 PM
    Maybe we will see a iPhone 20GS in our lifetime with the rate Apple keeps making new models
    No different than any of the other manufacturers stacking them up like wood for the Android OS

Chris
    04-19-11 05:08 PM
    They have 5 more years of single digit model #s, if they choose to stick with it.
    But they won't. It'll begin to sound stale, and they'll adopt something different around... iPhone7.
    04-19-11 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD