iPhone 5 to receive aluminum backing, redesigned antenna? | PhoneDog

I like this idea. No more slippery glass that could drop and crack as people have complained about. Only problem I have with this mock-up is where is the camera flash?
    03-07-11 09:09 AM
    I actually thought they were going to go with the aluminum backing last year especially after the iPad hit. When the macbooks went aluminum, desktops and iPad, I thought it was a no brainer. I think that would be a good choice. Only thing is, how scratch resistant it would be. I put all my phones in my pocket and I don't use a case. Only a screen protector. I would think it would be prone to a lot more scratches with that type of backing. If it's not that much of an upgrade over the iphone 4 I think I'll stick with the 4 because I don't want it if it means I have to keep a case on it so it doesn't get scratched.
    03-07-11 09:24 AM
    The basic Apple logo on the back of the device doesn't allow for proper antenna design for cellular capabilities. But of course, let's not think about that when making up news. lol
    03-07-11 09:51 AM
    I think it's fine as long as they don't go back to the 3g/3gs design.
    03-07-11 11:00 AM
    if they use a matte finish aluminum like the iPad it should be ok for scratch resistance. A high shine aluminum like the iPod backside would show scratches much easier, not to mention fingerprints. As far as upgrades between the 4 and 5 go, I'm strongly going with screen size to increase to at least 4". Apple has always been about movie and multimedia experiences on their devices. With competition building screens 4" and larger, I'm sure Apple will have a larger screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 03-07-11 at 11:47 AM.
    03-07-11 11:42 AM
    I always liked the first design of the first iPhone that had the aluminum back. It was
    aluminum, right? And if it was, I remember there was a reason as to why they went
    away with it. What was it?
    03-07-11 12:05 PM
    I always liked the first design of the first iPhone that had the aluminum back. It was
    aluminum, right? And if it was, I remember there was a reason as to why they went
    What I heard (which isn't confirmed by any stretch) is that they were having antenna issues with the aluminum. I had the first gen iphone and I found there to be some issues with the antenna performance myself.

That's why they moved to the plastic back.

Then with the iphone 4 they got the antenna changed obviously.

I doubt this aluminum back is going to happen because the images just look like a 3g/3gs with a change in the texture in the back.

Apple is usually very careful with their designs and releasing them to the public. I would put very little clout to this link.
    03-07-11 12:13 PM
    It was aluminum but it was different than the iPad. It was significantly heavier and there were reported signal issues because it was said that that material was harder to get a stronger signal. The aluminum used on the iPad and macbook is a lot lighter which would probably do away with any signal issues especially if they are looking to make the antenna on the outside like the rumor suggests.
    03-07-11 12:14 PM
    if they use a matte finish aluminum like the iPad it should be ok for scratch resistance.
    Yeah it should be ok as in better than the iPod but I'm not sure it would be any less or more than a plastic backing. I would think more than the plastic backing but less than the glass case. Just can't really find out since I can't fit an iPad or macbook in my pants LOL.
    03-07-11 12:15 PM
    I doubt this aluminum back is going to happen because the images just look like a 3g/3gs with a change in the texture in the back.

Apple is usually very careful with their designs and releasing them to the public. I would put very little clout to this link.
    I wouldn't doubt aluminum because of the mock up design in that picture. It's possible that aluminum can be used but it looks nothing like the picture. I agree that picture looks like a 3GS with different backing but Apple has been able to use aluminum for both iPads and have 2 different designs. The aluminum may allow for a much thinner device than the 3GS. I think that's possible. But we will see.
    03-07-11 12:18 PM
    Yes there was some signal strength issues with the original iPhone and they moved to plastic backs. However if that were still the case today wouldn't the iPad be affected also? IPad does run Wifi and 3G with an aluminum back. iPod Touch also has Wifi and has an aluminum back

03-07-11 12:20 PM
    Yes there was some signal strength issues with the original iPhone and they moved to plastic backs. However if that were still the case today wouldn't the iPad be affected also? IPad does run Wifi and 3G with an aluminum back. iPod Touch also has Wifi and has an aluminum back

The aluminum on the iPad and iPod touch are nowhere near the weight that was used on the original iPhone. The current aluminum, is much light and energy efficient which back then it wasn't. And if it's true that they might have the apple logo on the outside be an antenna, I think that would address any potential issues with reception for an aluminum phone.
    03-07-11 12:26 PM

Also, the 3g iPad has the plastic section at the top - which has to be for the 3g antenna. I think the antenna issues are more to do with the cell phone/data reception than the wifi.

They could find a way to do it with a certain grade of aluminum - I'm not an antenna engineer or an expert in that.

It'll be interesting what they come up with. I just am also very skeptical of these kinds of rumors since I know Apple does keep a pretty strict lock and key on their designs.
    03-07-11 12:40 PM
    I thought Apple moved from the aluminum back because of the cost of the phone. I remember paying 600+ for the original one and sales volume wasn't as near as it is today. Apple wanted the phone in the hands of more consumers and that's why i thought plastic made the phone cheaper to produce and therefore sale.
    03-07-11 01:56 PM
    I thought Apple moved from the aluminum back because of the cost of the phone. I remember paying 600+ for the original one and sales volume wasn't as near as it is today. Apple wanted the phone in the hands of more consumers and that's why i thought plastic made the phone cheaper to produce and therefore sale.
    The original iPhone wasn't subsidized like the models that came after so it was selling only at full retail. All models of the iPhone priced at 600 for full retail but from the 3G forward they all were subbed. I'm pretty sure if it were subbed it would have been 200 as well as sales would have been bigger.

Given that you can put a large aluminum backing on an iPad and sell it for less than a iPhone at full retail, I would lean to think that cost didn't have a lot with changing material. I personally don't think it was cost for the reason they changed.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-07-11 at 02:39 PM.
    03-07-11 02:36 PM
    Do you guys really want to go back to the 3G/3GS case looks? I sure as **** don't. One of the reasons why I like iP4 is because of the sharp lines.
    03-07-11 04:37 PM
    Do you guys really want to go back to the 3G/3GS case looks? I sure as **** don't. One of the reasons why I like iP4 is because of the sharp lines.
    Fawk no I don't. A thin aluminum back on the i4 design would be fine by me. I've seen the aluminum backs (after market) that fit good enough on the i4. Of
    course I'd trust that Apple would make it a little better and better well designed
    for no antenna interference (iPhone haters, insert joke here).
    03-07-11 04:41 PM
    I don't either. They could probably make an aluminum backing that closer shaped to the iP4 than 3GS. I'm hoping anyway.

Maybe Apple doesn't think having a device that can shatter on both sides is worth the trouble of making them. Who knows.
    03-07-11 05:04 PM
    It's much easier to go with rubberized plastic. No reception problems, no scratches, doesn't need a case. But that would be too easy and will never happen because it has to look special.

03-07-11 05:32 PM
    I don't either. They could probably make an aluminum backing that closer shaped to the iP4 than 3GS. I'm hoping anyway.

Maybe Apple doesn't think having a device that can shatter on both sides is worth the trouble of making them. Who knows.
    I think they'll go with the aluminum backing, but same shape as the IP4.

They had issues with the fact that the back glass could scratch much more easily than the front. I don't know why they didn't go with the stronger glass on both sides other than maybe cost.
    03-07-11 08:24 PM
    It's much easier to go with rubberized plastic. No reception problems, no scratches, doesn't need a case. But that would be too easy and will never happen because it has to look special.

Well you know Apple has to put their signature on their devices and not look like other devices out there. If they didn't, they wouldn't be Apple
    03-07-11 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD