My bf just got the ip4 thursday. He loves the phone however it seems the battery life sux. He works days and uses his phone alot for textn, prob like 500 a day. He has everything turned off that can be turned off including notifications for fb and email.
    He doesnt have alot of apps and pretty sure they arent running in the background ( hate that we cant tell like with bb)
    His battery will be at full charge at 6am when he takes it off but by noon its at 56 % or so.
    Just tonight he took it off the charger and it dropped to 99% within seconds. within an hour it dropped to 85% with not to much usage.
    Anyone have any idea why this could be happening? Would it be a defective phone by chance?
    10-03-10 08:49 PM
    500 texts a day? That means in an average 16 hour day he sending/receiving 30+ per hour. If he's turning his phone on every 2 minutes he doing heavy usage. It all depends how long it takes him to respond. If each text takes him like 10 seconds, that's going to use a lot less power than if it tAkes him a minute. It's hard to guess if his battery is draining exceptionally fast without more info on his usage patterns.

Also, to see all programs that are running or frozen in the background, press the home button twice. Scroll to the right to see all programs.
    10-03-10 09:15 PM
    What usage pattern do u want to kno? He has had the phone 4 days but since the 13th has sent 9400 txts.
    Also when we double tapped the hm button and scrolled to the right there were quite a few icons in fact it looked like all off them. So how do we fully close them?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 09:33 PM
    my battery percentage drops ever 3minutes. I think the phone is messed up. I've had it off the charge for a hour and 50 min and im at 78% battery already

10-03-10 09:35 PM
    What usage pattern do u want to kno? He has had the phone 4 days but since the 13th has sent 9400 txts.
    Also when we double tapped the hm button and scrolled to the right there were quite a few icons in fact it looked like all off them. So how do we fully close them?

Like how ling it takes for him to reply to a text.

As for all the apps running, unless it's a streaming app of some type, it's just frozen in memory, which doesnt use any power.
    10-03-10 09:57 PM
    it only takes him a few seconds to reply to a text
    and we figured out how to actually fully close apps
    10-03-10 10:03 PM
    It's hard to say if there's anything wrong with his phone. If he can go a day without texting (highly doubtful at the rate he's going) it would be easier to figure out by just having him browse or watch youtube for a couple of hours on WiFi. Sorry I can't be more help on this.
    10-03-10 11:24 PM
    My bf just got the ip4 thursday. He loves the phone however it seems the battery life sux. He works days and uses his phone alot for textn, prob like 500 a day. He has everything turned off that can be turned off including notifications for fb and email.
    He doesnt have alot of apps and pretty sure they arent running in the background ( hate that we cant tell like with bb)
    His battery will be at full charge at 6am when he takes it off but by noon its at 56 % or so.
    Just tonight he took it off the charger and it dropped to 99% within seconds. within an hour it dropped to 85% with not to much usage.
    Anyone have any idea why this could be happening? Would it be a defective phone by chance?
    He just bought it???? I've read and done so myself that we're suppose to do a complete battery drain and recharge to "condition" the battery afew times. But anybody who's done their research on the iP4 knows that the battery life on the iP4 is no where near BB phone batteries but are better than previous iPhones.

It's the fact of life for our phones, just carry a car charger or cable and charge at work. It's a new phone wih new routine.

Lots of info on how to improve battery life out there that already hasn't been discussed already, just google it but one is to turn down the screen brightness.

Enjoy
    Last edited by The ROC; 10-04-10 at 03:42 AM.
    10-04-10 03:36 AM
    40% gone in 6 hours sending about 250 texts (about 1/2 a day's worth) sounds about right.

You have to remember its not really the tiny bit of data in sending/receiving texts, but the screen that turns on every time a text comes in, you read it, and while composing a text. Say its 15 seconds to read the text (times 250), and 30 seconds composing (times 250). Thats a LOT of time the screen is on- 180 or so minutes if you are using the power button after each text and not letting the screen dim and turn off on its own (or else its a lot longer as the default is after 1 minute of being on I believe.

If hes sending out 500 texts a day (or 250 a half a day) you have to nearly double that screen being on time since there is a text coming in as a response usually for every going out.

So by noon average the screen has been on for 250 going out but also 250 coming in. That will easily drain 40% of the battery with the screen on that much- probably near half the time off the charger as shown above.

Possibly dim the screen brightness as much as he can handle? Maybe set the screen timeout as less than 1 min? Its just going to be natural on a screen that big that an abnormal amount of texting will drain the battery when the screen is on that much. This is really beyond standard usage by most people of their devices.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-04-10 at 09:45 AM.
    10-04-10 09:37 AM
    @the Roc.... My battery lie on the Ip4 comes very VERY close to the 9700 (best phone ever for battery). Kills the 9000 and the 8900 so the ip4 does actually come supper close if not better then most berry's.

@RoboCP4. Tell your BF to let the phone drop to lower then 20% and do a FULL charge. Leave it charged and don't play with it till complete. Also like Stuaw11 Said the screen gets turned on and off a lot. set it to look after 1 minute. Also reduce the brightness...maybe to like 35-40 percent.
    If he's not using location have him turn that off too.

hope that helps
    10-04-10 10:00 AM
    He just bought it???? I've read and done so myself that we're suppose to do a complete battery drain and recharge to "condition" the battery afew times. But anybody who's done their research on the iP4 knows that the battery life on the iP4 is no where near BB phone batteries but are better than previous iPhones.

It's the fact of life for our phones, just carry a car charger or cable and charge at work. It's a new phone wih new routine.

Lots of info on how to improve battery life out there that already hasn't been discussed already, just google it but one is to turn down the screen brightness.

Enjoy
    The main reason iPhone users don't get as much battery life out of their device is because usage patterns change. Typical iPhone users do a lot more with their phones than Typical BB users. For example, 3D gaming will drain the battery like nothing else. BB users won't be doing much of that. The plethora of apps make the phone more capable of doing more, and with additional capabilities, comes more usage. I personally use VNC quite a bit, almost every day, and I know that's a huge battery drain.

Since I upgraded to i4, I haven't used my car charger at all, and I almost always get through an entire day on a charge. I'm probably a heavy user compared to most. I've had 3 iPhone 4s now (2 were swapped for different reasons), and they've all performed similarly in regards to battery life.
    10-04-10 10:22 AM
    I agree with Stuaw, that's why I was asking how long it takes to respond to a text message.

Longer screen time = more battery drain.
    10-04-10 10:24 AM
    I agree with Stuaw, that's why I was asking how long it takes to respond to a text message.

Longer screen time = more battery drain.
    and thats on any phone not just the iPhone 4. I'm agreeing with Stuaw too.
    10-04-10 10:40 AM
    40% gone in 6 hours sending about 250 texts (about 1/2 a day's worth) sounds about right.
    It sure does. That's a lot of text messages.

Another thing for the OP to remember about the phone dropping to 99% within
    seconds after taking it off the charger is that once the phone fully charges
    while on the charger, it's charging state so to speak is basically no longer on.
    So for example, if you go to sleep at 10PM and let's say the phone is fully
    charged at 100% by 1:30AM, the phone is basically at the state that it would
    be if you just took the phone off the charger. Except that it's not in use while
    you're sleeping.
    10-04-10 12:03 PM

Enjoy
    My iPhone 4 battery life is excellent, about the same as my 9700....and MUCH better than my 9000.
    10-04-10 12:41 PM
    I agree the ip4 compares pretty equally with the 9700 even, which is one of the better BBs for battery life.

You have to do an equal test of exact usage, because people tend to use their BBs less because you can do less on it.
    10-04-10 01:59 PM
    Yeah, overall I'm happy with the battery life on my i4. Way, way better than it was
    on my 3GS.
    10-04-10 02:29 PM
    Very happy with the battery. I use the phone alot during the day. Seems like I hardly put it down. Getting around 8 hrs of pure usage on a full charge. I do a crap load of browsing. Def better then the Torch.
    10-04-10 02:50 PM
    Click settings > general > Usage.

I keep my brightness down and that really helps me.

I am at, 2.5 hours of usage. 9 hours of stand by. 61% battery left.

Of course usage varies, gaming uses more then texting, etc. But should give you an idea.
    10-04-10 05:43 PM
    It would be difficult to compare the battery of the 9700 to the iPhone 4. Like a previoux poster said, they are made for two different things. BlackBerry smartphones are devices that you generally handle for short stints many times throughout the day. The iPhone is a device that has you glued to it for extended periods throughout the day. Battery life on a BlackBerry is going to be decidedly better because of this.

10-04-10 07:33 PM
    I just returned my Iphone 4 because of the battery issue. I tried all the tricks to prolong usage (ie-turn off location and notification services etc.), but I couldn't make it through a whole day. My usage patterns were essentially identical to my 9700. Streamed Pandora and played music on both. I'm sitting here close to the end of a workday and have 75% of my 9700 battery life left. I'd be in the 20-30% range with the Iphone4. I liked the Iphone better than my bb, especially surfing the web, there really is no comparison. The battery issue was the deciding factor. Maybe it was just a lemon. I may try it again in the future.
    10-05-10 03:03 PM
    Good Morning. Another noob here..uhm, how do you fully close apps. I hit the home key twice and scrolled to the right and i kept on scrolling...:-O cant believe that much stuff is running/frozen in the background.....
    10-07-10 07:00 AM
    I just returned my Iphone 4 because of the battery issue. I tried all the tricks to prolong usage (ie-turn off location and notification services etc.), but I couldn't make it through a whole day. My usage patterns were essentially identical to my 9700. Streamed Pandora and played music on both. I'm sitting here close to the end of a workday and have 75% of my 9700 battery life left. I'd be in the 20-30% range with the Iphone4. I liked the Iphone better than my bb, especially surfing the web, there really is no comparison. The battery issue was the deciding factor. Maybe it was just a lemon. I may try it again in the future.
    Awww. hate to see you go. i acutally did that last month. got rid of my 9700 jumped to the iphone 4. missed the BB took the iphone back and went back to my 9700. AT&T loved me that week (lol). now i'm back to my iphone4. i must say the battery does drain like a sleive (sp as one CB poster told me) however i keep a car charger handy and my usb caord at my desk and plug it into my laptop if i get "real low" on juice and i do some other tricks my coworker, who's an iphone junkie tells me (turn the brightness down and 3g off,etc.). my battery life is actually better on the iphone than my bb. i had tons of apps running (beweather, batteryex, was always texting and using bbm)..
    10-07-10 07:08 AM
    Good Morning. Another noob here..uhm, how do you fully close apps. I hit the home key twice and scrolled to the right and i kept on scrolling...:-O cant believe that much stuff is running/frozen in the background.....
    You hold one of the icons down until it wiggles, like when you're moving them on the Springboard. When it wiggles, it shows a "-" symbol. Tap the symbol and the app will close.

Because of the way iOS works, you don't really need to close anything except streaming audio and GPS. The others just close to a frozen in memory state.
    10-07-10 09:53 AM
    I suggest you turn off the % setting by the battery and not worry as much about it. Yes I know it's not a real solution, but it might ease your mind.
    10-07-10 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD