I've searched for a home remedy to how loose the rubber skin of my otterbox has become and the only solution I have found is, I can contact otterbox and they will send me a replacement, if by chance anyone knows something I haven't been able to discover, by all means let me know...

I do however know a major cause of this problem, I just put two and two together about an hour ago!!! Most people blame heat of being the main cause of this loosening of the the rubber, but this is not the case. My whole life I have been in some way associated with used or rebuilt automotive parts, and learned a few things that most peeps will not believe to be true...

Brake fluid is the only thing that can be used in the brake system of your car, and trying to substitute it with other fluids such as motor oil is a very bad idea! The oil will cause all of the rubber linings of the brake lines to swell and the only way to fix this problem is to drain the system and replace every section of rubber lines...

With that said I will now explain oUt the two and two together for you. I shave my head and when I'm done I use Avon's Skin So Soft everyday as a moisturizer, which has an oily base of some sort. Im on my third otterbox rubber skin replacement, I've made sure to wash my hands after applying the Skin So Soft before touching my phone, the first two skins didnt last me a whole month this I've had for 3 months and it is still quite tight, not straight out the box new tight, but not an issue that my OCD personality has issues with!
    02-24-11 01:28 AM
    First of all, you'd have to be a complete moron to put motor oil in the brake system. Second, it's very likely that the cheap rubber formulation/content of their covers is to blame. If they'd use something with more silicon in it, it probably wouldn't have this issue. Third, washing your hands after applying your lotion won't get all the residue off. Try using an antibacterial liquid (the clear alcohol gel stuff) to clean your hands instead. The alcohol content in it will clean your hands off better than soap alone. Trust me, it works. I usually rinse my hands with water after using the gel just so they don't dry out too much from it. Those gels are amazing at getting smells and greasy residue off of skin.
    02-24-11 09:48 AM
    @ Sowhatsup1... thank you for that post, you just made my day =)
    02-24-11 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD