According to this article, and 'at a later date'

AT&T offers new iPhone without contract - Wireless - MSNBC.com
    07-01-08 01:23 PM
    First I've heard of this, cool beans. Means people who aren't upgrade able can get one now!

It's like iPhone 1 all over again, but a little more expensive
    07-01-08 01:27 PM
    just release the bold and the iphone will go back in to hiding
    07-01-08 01:52 PM
    A quick update:

New contract customer pricing is $199 and $299, and the usual $36 activation

Existing AT&T customers may purchase @ $399 and $499 if they are not eligible for a new contract, and an $18 upgrade fee.

And then the 'at a later date' +$400, no contract pricing of $599 and $699
    07-01-08 03:36 PM
    07-01-08 04:37 PM
    According to this article, and 'at a later date'

AT&T offers new iPhone without contract - Wireless - MSNBC.com
    Great post, here is another site from yahoo

iPhone 3G on sale 8 a.m. July 11; no-contract iPhone on tap : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech
    07-01-08 09:19 PM
    Can't you just sign up and and pay the early term which would equal less?
    iphone + 36 acto fee +175 early term fee = less than buying it with no contract?
    07-07-08 12:18 AM
    Can't you just sign up and and pay the early term which would equal less?
    iphone + 36 acto fee +175 early term fee = less than buying it with no contract?

A credit check has to be done for this. Therefore if an iPhone is that important that your credit report doesn't matter, go ahead.
    07-07-08 07:07 PM
    A credit check has to be done for this. Therefore if an iPhone is that important that your credit report doesn't matter, go ahead.
    What would be wrong with running your credit?
    07-08-08 01:14 AM
    Each time you have your credit run, it lowers your credit score, not a lot, but some. That is why you have to be careful at car dealers, because if you are shopping around, more than likely, when they copy your DL before the test drive, they have some one run your credit. You also want to opt out of those pre-approved credit cards, because they pre-approve you by running your credit.
    Last edited by hilhi2005; 07-08-08 at 01:40 AM. Reason: more info
    07-08-08 01:39 AM
    Credit inquiries only cost you about 5 points each, but yeah, don't let a car dealership run a bunch of pulls. Some shady ones will do it on purpose to try to lower your score so they can charge more interest. BTW, those "pre-approved" offers only do a soft pull, and that does not affect your score.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-08 09:30 PM
    Credit inquiries only cost you about 5 points each, but yeah, don't let a car dealership run a bunch of pulls. Some shady ones will do it on purpose to try to lower your score so they can charge more interest. BTW, those "pre-approved" offers only do a soft pull, and that does not affect your score.

Good to know... I didn't know whether they effected your score..
    07-12-08 09:38 PM
    Let's say instead of buying the touch; someone jailbreaks a iphone instead...can they use that jailbroken iphone as a mp3 player, wi-fi enabled browser, etc?

I currently have the touch as my 'pda' and of course my Curve as my phone...I don't care to have the iPhone as a phone...but was wondering instead of using the touch as my pda; if I could use a jailbroken iphone as my pda and use it for all the features it has (pictures, mp3s, wi-fi browser) except for voice calls of course...can it be done??
    Last edited by Hi-Definition; 07-13-08 at 01:25 AM.
    07-13-08 01:20 AM
    i want an iphone i wish the bold would come out so it would quit tempting me. I just have to think the bold will be here in a month or so
    07-13-08 01:27 AM
    Let's say instead of buying the touch; someone jailbreaks a iphone instead...can they use that jailbroken iphone as a mp3 player, wi-fi enabled browser, etc?

I currently have the touch as my 'pda' and of course my Curve as my phone...I don't care to have the iPhone as a phone...but was wondering instead of using the touch as my pda; if I could use a jailbroken iphone as my pda and use it for all the features it has (pictures, mp3s, wi-fi browser) except for voice calls of course...can it be done??

I know you would be able to use the phone, but without a sim card, I'm unsure if you'd be able to use the wifi part. I know with my 8320 I was able to accomplish this.
    07-13-08 01:29 AM
    I see.

1) To jailbreak a iphone...do you have to have a sim card installed In the iphone at the time?

2) Fine...let's say you in fact CAN'T use wi-fi even though its jailbroken...can you at least use the jailbroken iphone for its mp3 player, picture taking/storage capabilities?

07-13-08 01:45 AM
    1) I would assume no, I did however jailbreak mine with the sim inside.

2) I was using mine for mp3 and storage capability when it was locked and my sim was deactivated. I can't remember if I could connect to the wifi though.
    07-13-08 03:43 AM

I know you would be able to use the phone, but without a sim card, I'm unsure if you'd be able to use the wifi part. I know with my 8320 I was able to accomplish this.
    I just bought my first iPhone. Previously I was using a Blackberry 8800 on T-Mobile. I do prefer the keyboard on the BB, but in all other aspects (the touchscreen interface, the better display of HTML, the many apps available, the ease of syncing with my Mac...), I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like the iPhone. I had to swallow my distaste of AT&T to get the phone, and in fact waited in a long line at the Apple store just so I wouldn't have to deal with the surly employees in an AT&T store.

Anyway, I took out the SIM card and wifi DOES work fine. This is an important point to me, because when I travel overseas I want to remove the SIM card to completely avoid the possibility of accidentally connecting to a cell tower and getting whomped with a huge roaming bill. When I leave the country, the iPhone will essentially be a movie and music player, and PDA organizer.

Coverage by AT&T is no doubt worse than Verizon's, but for me, outside of urban areas in the US, it is better than T-Mobile.
    07-13-08 07:15 AM
    I just remembered one more reason that I disliked the iPhone. Dialing phone numbers always seemed like a ***** to me, did they add the search function into the contact list yet?
    07-13-08 12:25 PM
    I just remembered one more reason that I disliked the iPhone. Dialing phone numbers always seemed like a ***** to me, did they add the search function into the contact list yet?
    Thankfully, yes. You can also choose favorite contacts.
    07-13-08 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD