I purchased an iPad for a few reasons.

1) It's really really freakin' sweet. It can be an experience trying to find a way to hold it for extended periods of time, not because of the form, but the weight. ANY Tablet will have that problem. Other than that, it's really light, smart designed, and no quote is better than simply: It Works.

2) With the built in speaker, it is awesome for long car rides. I drive home (8 hours) fairly often, and having that for my girlfriend to watch stuff on (much more comfortably than a BlackBerry Storm 2, her phone, or an iPod Touch), is quite nice. Not to mention the battery life is fantastic, considering how nice it looks.

3) Comics, PDFs and eBooks. I love reading comics, but never loved the idea of having stacks of them around. The Comic readers are absolutely wonderful! Pinch zooming, flip scrolling, crystal clear .. it's a dream. And I do mean it, it blows me away how nice it looks. PDF documents are the same. Super easy to add, very fluid and they work flawlessly. eBooks are also a recent (last year or so) hot thing, with the Kindle, Nook, etc. The way the iPad displays them is awesome. I love that I can sit with a device in my hand that can be held comfortably for hours, with a whole library of books available. That can also play mp3's. And watch Netflix. And and and and.

4) It does what it was advertised to do. Anyone picking up an iPad expecting it to replace their Laptop doesn't understand that it isn't meant to. Just like a Laptop will never replace a desktop. And a Cell Phone will never replace a Laptop. It's just a fact. But the iPad does what it set out to do, and does it with silky smooth qualities. eBooks are awesome on it, Apps are churning out at lightning speed and really are just fantastic. (It's the perfect size for so many of them!) Movies and Netflix look amazing on the screen, and it does a lot of other nifty things with apps (mapping, scientific databases of info, productivity suites, etc) that make it even more useful.

In the end, it's not a laptop, and it wasn't meant to be. Personally, I sold my MacBook and iPod Touch to buy an iPad. (For the curious, I literally broke even on my original purchase cost, sale, and then purchase of the iPad.) It replaces everything I used the iPod Touch for, (I still have a Classic 5th Generation and my Storm 2), and also replaced everything I used my MacBook for, which really wasn't a ton either. Is this going to apply for everyone? No, and that's life.

Apple, Android, BlackBerry, Microsoft, etc, will always have fanboys that buy without thought, giving their allegience without any remote question. That's life. That doesn't, however, mean that every consumer follows that. My situation: It made perfect sense. And I don't regret it for a second.

Your situation: you may regret it. That doesn't make me stupid for not regretting it.
    06-14-10 12:17 PM
    I purchased an iPad for a few reasons.

1) It's really really freakin' sweet. It can be an experience trying to find a way to hold it for extended periods of time, not because of the form, but the weight. ANY Tablet will have that problem. Other than that, it's really light, smart designed, and no quote is better than simply: It Works.

2) With the built in speaker, it is awesome for long car rides. I drive home (8 hours) fairly often, and having that for my girlfriend to watch stuff on (much more comfortably than a BlackBerry Storm 2, her phone, or an iPod Touch), is quite nice. Not to mention the battery life is fantastic, considering how nice it looks.

3) Comics, PDFs and eBooks. I love reading comics, but never loved the idea of having stacks of them around. The Comic readers are absolutely wonderful! Pinch zooming, flip scrolling, crystal clear .. it's a dream. And I do mean it, it blows me away how nice it looks. PDF documents are the same. Super easy to add, very fluid and they work flawlessly. eBooks are also a recent (last year or so) hot thing, with the Kindle, Nook, etc. The way the iPad displays them is awesome. I love that I can sit with a device in my hand that can be held comfortably for hours, with a whole library of books available. That can also play mp3's. And watch Netflix. And and and and.

4) It does what it was advertised to do. Anyone picking up an iPad expecting it to replace their Laptop doesn't understand that it isn't meant to. Just like a Laptop will never replace a desktop. And a Cell Phone will never replace a Laptop. It's just a fact. But the iPad does what it set out to do, and does it with silky smooth qualities. eBooks are awesome on it, Apps are churning out at lightning speed and really are just fantastic. (It's the perfect size for so many of them!) Movies and Netflix look amazing on the screen, and it does a lot of other nifty things with apps (mapping, scientific databases of info, productivity suites, etc) that make it even more useful.

In the end, it's not a laptop, and it wasn't meant to be. Personally, I sold my MacBook and iPod Touch to buy an iPad. (For the curious, I literally broke even on my original purchase cost, sale, and then purchase of the iPad.) It replaces everything I used the iPod Touch for, (I still have a Classic 5th Generation and my Storm 2), and also replaced everything I used my MacBook for, which really wasn't a ton either. Is this going to apply for everyone? No, and that's life.

Apple, Android, BlackBerry, Microsoft, etc, will always have fanboys that buy without thought, giving their allegience without any remote question. That's life. That doesn't, however, mean that every consumer follows that. My situation: It made perfect sense. And I don't regret it for a second.

Your situation: you may regret it. That doesn't make me stupid for not regretting it.
    You put it best, nice response...they all got fanboys lol, like star wars and star trek, both the same but different actors lol. Thanks to you I will keep my blackberrys lol. I don't really read books, so kindle won't do it for me. I do watch video on my bb but I'm happy with the small screen. If I go tablet, ill wait till its a full function laptop I guess...get off your asses apple lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 02:45 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD