The thing with Apple is, if they decide to roll with a tech, they will make it mainstream. If NFC hits an iPhone somewhere down the line, that will be great as devs will finally take notice of NFC and hopefully help it achieve its potential.
    My 9900 had NFC, most pointless tech ever. File transfers to other BBs were intiated over NFC, and then sent very very slowly through Bluetooth. Thats how Tag works.
    Samsung put it on their devices, but the files transfers take place through Wifi Direct or summat.
    Theres hardly any NFC payment points in the UK at the moment.

Basically, having it on your phone right now is fairly pointless, theres nowhere to actually use it to its potential.
    Say what you want about Apple, if they decide to push it as a feature, it will be more mainstream and that means everyone, Apple and non Apple, should be happy about it, probably even owe a debt to Apple for it.

Also, iOS may be stale, but it is established.
    Getting super hyped about a new OS that will blow everyone away when we know absolutely nothing about it, thats dangerous. Could lead to a lot of embarrassment on Jan the 30th. What does anyone actually know about BB10? Im sure theres load there to be proud of and compete or exceed the other major OSes but the truth is that info hasnt been shared with us, yet.
    01-14-13 05:13 AM
    Whats this new apple invention you speak of... NFC?
    Yep. Apple will give it some dumb name like "iConnect" or something like that - and advertise it as if no other phone has it.

The apple fanboys will go nuts over it, even though they previously stated that the iPhone 5 didn't need it because NFC was useless.
    01-14-13 05:18 AM
    No you still hear it. 7" is useless. 7.9" is gods gift to man
    I believe thats what some of the tech media call innovation!
    01-14-13 06:32 AM
    I know it's childish, and I apologise but...

No you still hear it. 7" is useless. 7.9" is gods gift to man
    Giggety.

Back OT I find interesting the (relative, let's be honest) amount of disappointment with 'the next iPhone'. People sat around me at work weren't overly impressed with what the 5 offered at launch, and seem to be waiting until a) decent innovation is shown or b) it's time for an upgrade/phone breakage as far as moving to the next iPhone is concerned.

Maybe it's just the reality of normal people's economy that they can't afford what they want immediately.
    01-14-13 06:49 AM
    Sounds like ol' Pete is in long on AAPL, and the WSJ report released this morning nipped him.

I've said it before, at some point Apple will have to hit the reset button on iOS to allow them to take the next step towards mobile computing, and when they do, it will be interesting to see if they will be able to utilize the current ecosystem that makes them so strong.
    01-14-13 07:27 AM
    Yes and that's the problem apple will get all the credit for something they never wanted...plus here in Canada we have a lot of places we can use nfc for payments already.
    01-14-13 07:33 AM
    There is so much hate, jealousy and anger in this thread. How about a more positive spin like bobauckland? Who's with me on "who cares what everyone else is doing, just bring BB10 to my playbook"?
    01-14-13 08:39 AM
    Two quick point in reply to the troll

#1, Apple said NFC wasn't ready, not that it was un-needed (it still isn't ready and won't be available in the 5s is my guess).
    #2 iPhone 5 analysis: Reports of component cuts are curious, at best | BGR
    01-14-13 09:08 AM
    I think a 5s would be a bad decision. It's a critical time in the market because Android has just taken over, and there are innovative platforms coming in to play (BB10, Ubuntu, WP8), so Apple needs to really show their worth. Put out an Iphone 6 with different hardware and fresh software. It would be cool to have like the first pane having a carousel of apps at the bottom which are your open apps and in the upper portion of the pane have some widgets that you'd like, add a few gestures here and there like swiping the edges to change apps, bigger screen, fresh browser, things like that.

And no I am not an Apple fanboy, but there was a time when I considered getting an iPhone, when BB10 was but a dream, but features like I mentioned were lacking and the software was just too boring for me personally.

This year will be an interesting one in regards to tech and mobile platforms.
    01-14-13 01:32 PM
    Put out an Iphone 6 with different hardware and fresh software. It would be cool to have like the first pane having a carousel of apps at the bottom which are your open apps and in the upper portion of the pane have some widgets that you'd like, add a few gestures here and there like swiping the edges to change apps, bigger screen, fresh browser, things like that.
    So what you're after is Android...
    01-15-13 08:40 AM
    Misek has always been a little weasel
    No a Groundhog , pokes his head just to see whats happing to Apple, and does a prediction of the out come.
    01-17-13 10:15 AM
    haha this reminds me of how there is no point in having a 7inch tablet.
    Ahh, but it's not. It's 7.9" and that makes a great tablet (according to Tim Cook) whereas 7" tablets are 'awful'. Add in some funny math about how the screen is a third bigger due to .9". ;-)

jokes aside though, let's play devil's advocate for Apple. They'll also be crucified for being 'late to the party' if they do add it. But with that said, how many people use NFC regularly for anything? If we took a poll, how many people would say, "why yes - I use it all the time!"? I imagine not many, even though phones (including BlackBerrys) have had it for well over a year.

It's kind of like the people who berated the iPhone 4S for not having LTE but then lived in the (often abundant) areas where there wasn't LTE service
    01-17-13 11:20 AM
    i doubt an iPhone5S will last long, going by what kevin was saying about how when used in a heavyish fashion the iPhone5 heats up to near burning levels and this report claims better hardware and a larger battery i think the device might actually burst into flames :s. there were speculations back before the 4S was released that the 5 that was supposed to come out had over heating issues, but we'll see it upon release, the iPhone 5 has failed to impress so Apple better brign their A game on the next one
    Failed to impress who? Apple has sold a millions of iPhone 5's.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    01-17-13 07:19 PM
    There is so much hate, jealousy and anger in this thread.

Some say hating is confused admiration (c)Nas

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    pri79269 likes this.
    01-17-13 07:22 PM
    Ahh, but it's not. It's 7.9" and that makes a great tablet (according to Tim Cook) whereas 7" tablets are 'awful'. Add in some funny math about how the screen is a third bigger due to .9". ;-)

jokes aside though, let's play devil's advocate for Apple. They'll also be crucified for being 'late to the party' if they do add it. But with that said, how many people use NFC regularly for anything? If we took a poll, how many people would say, "why yes - I use it all the time!"? I imagine not many, even though phones (including BlackBerrys) have had it for well over a year.

It's kind of like the people who berated the iPhone 4S for not having LTE but then lived in the (often abundant) areas where there wasn't LTE service
    not many people are using nfc because a) they simply don't know anything about nfc or that it is included into their phones b) lack of support.. industry wise
    apple could simply change that with their new iphone... i would love to connect my phone with my car with just a single tap or enable screen mirroring with my tv via nfc (sony does it... so great )
    01-25-13 08:06 AM
40 12