So... I dumped my 9700 while it's still valuable. I'm not a huge iPhone fan but I always have the latest model just as a back up and for entertainment ( I love the reading apps-- CNN, CBS, DISCOVERY ETC). I love reading to put myself to sleep. My intention was, and is, to get a torch as soon as Rogers releases it here in Canada. So in the meantime, the ip4 is my main phone. I put myself in this predicament on purpose to FORCE myself to use the iPhone for a month or two-- thus giving it a fair shake.
    Although I'm hardcore BB and will jump on the Torch, I AM appreciating the ip4.
    3 things I noticed about the battery.
    1) the battery is decent. Prob more than decent. Can totally do my day.
    2) have any of you noticed how lightning fast it recharges? Fantastic. The fact that the batt isn't as good as, say-- the 9700, isn't really an issue cause today , for example, I had 62% power, I plugged in, took a shower, shaved, messed around a little and unplugged. The phone was at a whopping 82% in that short period and now, 2 hours later, I've been messing around with it and it's back down to 67%. Not bad at all.
    3) the second day I used the phone, I noticed that in the afternoon, I was 15-20% lower on batt than the previous day. Couldn't figure it out. I later noticed that what I had done different is I had set it to pick up my email every 15 mins instead of every 30 mins. Wow- who woulda known it woulda made such a diff.

Anyhow-- like I said, gonna retire this phone to a night-reader and a game player for the kids as soon as my Torch is available but it's a he'll of a little trooper. I like it.

Ted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 03:39 PM
    ...I had set it to pick up my email every 15 mins instead of every 30 mins.....
    Hey Ted. . . quick question on email with iPhone4. I'm considering switching to an iPhone4 (if VZW gets it).

So, I'm guessing iPhone4 does not have "push email"?? Would I have to set it to "poll" my email server for delivery at an interval I set it to? Is 15, 30 minutes standard/default?

Thanks
    08-14-10 04:23 PM
    Hey Ted. . . quick question on email with iPhone4. I'm considering switching to an iPhone4 (if VZW gets it).

So, I'm guessing iPhone4 does not have "push email"?? Would I have to set it to "poll" my email server for delivery at an interval I set it to? Is 15, 30 minutes standard/default?

Thanks
    iPhone 4 does have push, Ted must use an e-mail service that does now allow it. Gmail, MobileMe, Yahoo, Exchange etc. do push. Regarding the battery, I've gone a day and a half without recharging at all with average use, I also have been hearing hearing negative reviews about the Torch. It could just be hearsay though as I am have not used it.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 08-14-10 at 04:32 PM.
    08-14-10 04:29 PM
    iPhone 4 does have push, Ted must use an e-mail service that does now allow it. Gmail, MobileMe, Yahoo, Exchange etc. do push.
    I'm not sure what "type" of email service I have (dont know the lingo too well . . .sorry), I do know that it's set up as a POP account through my cable tv company (if that helps). Would I be able get "push" emails?

thanks
    08-14-10 04:32 PM
    I'm not sure what "type" of email service I have (dont know the lingo too well . . .sorry), I do know that it's set up as a POP account through my cable tv company (if that helps). Would I be able get "push" emails?

thanks
    Cable email services such as Comcast I believe generally do not push. If I were you I'd open a free Gmail account, have your cable email forwarded to it, set up your Gmail via exchange (very easy) and you now have push.

I personally have MobileMe and Gmail accounts pushing, MobileMe is my main email provider though.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 08-14-10 at 04:36 PM.
    08-14-10 04:34 PM
    Cable email services such as Comcast I believe generally do not push.
    okay. . . currently I dont think my emails get "pushed" on my Storm2. I think it "polls" every 15 minutes (if inactive) and every minute (if active). . . Time Warner cable (roadrunner service). I notice my wife's emails come through instantly (aol) while mine would take a few minutes.

Would the iPhone4 handle my email this same way?? Do I have to set it up (thru settings) for "polling interval" or will it default to the way my current BB handles email?

thanks for your help

"set up your Gmail via exchange" . . . (not sure what via exchange means, but is this something I do when I set up a gmail account? or will it do it for me when I set up an email account? . .

sorry if I sound dumb/confused . .lol
    Last edited by shinbone; 08-14-10 at 04:40 PM.
    08-14-10 04:38 PM
    When you set up an email account, one of the options is "Microsoft Exchange." if you have Gmail, you can set it up as an MSE account. Doing it that way allows it to use MSE Actuvesync, which can push emails to your phone. Instructions on setting it up are available everywhere. Just Google "set up Gmail as Exchange on iPhone." Takes about a minute to setup.
    08-14-10 05:54 PM
    When you set up an email account, one of the options is "Microsoft Exchange." if you have Gmail, you can set it up as an MSE account. Doing it that way allows it to use MSE Actuvesync, which can push emails to your phone. Instructions on setting it up are available everywhere. Just Google "set up Gmail as Exchange on iPhone." Takes about a minute to setup.
    Makes sense now.... thanks Roo
    08-14-10 06:04 PM

Thanks
    Shin,,, you can choose 15, 30, or 60 mins OR manual.
    As the others said-- some email is push. My gmail for example is push.
    For our company, we don't use an exchange server. We have our own domain and use pop3. I can't get that pushed to me.
    That's one thing that's cool on BB--everything gets pushed.
    Funny, ironic thing is that the fact that everything isn't automatically pushed to the iphone is actually a welcomed change sometimes. Today for example, I'm chilling with the family and frankly, my berry going off every second minute would be annoying. I set the ip4 to "manual" and check in when I feel like it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 06:51 PM
    That's one thing that's cool on BB--everything gets pushed.
    Actually, for typical POP3 and IMAP accounts, BB does the same thing as iPhone, it polls. The workaround for this is they make you forward your email to a @blackberry.net account, which will then push it to your BB. You can do the same thing on iPhone by forwarding your POP3 or IMAP account emails to one of the services that offer push email.

For push email to work, even on Blackberry, there has to be some sort of back end infrastructure to do it. The most common ones on the market are BES and MS Exchange. For consumer accounts, the phone companies use BIS for BBs. Some other email providers that provide push email are Yahoo, Google, MobileMe, and AOL.
    08-14-10 07:17 PM
    I've found the batt do not be as good as my BB 9700. It's kind of a bummer but I do play a lot more games on the iPhone.
    08-15-10 02:14 PM
    Hey Roo . . . I just created a GMail account like you suggested. I don't see an option to set up as "Exchange". It defaults to POP3 and the only other option I see is "IMAP". Did I do something wrong or will this default setting "push" my emails instantly when I forward from my current POP3 email account?

Thanks
    08-15-10 02:53 PM
    Hey Roo . . . I just created a GMail account like you suggested. I don't see an option to set up as "Exchange". It defaults to POP3 and the only other option I see is "IMAP". Did I do something wrong or will this default setting "push" my emails instantly when I forward from my current POP3 email account?

Thanks
    To set up as an MSE account, go to the following:

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Add Account>

At the very top, you should see Microsoft Exchange. Tap that.

Fill in the fields, and leave the "Domain" field empty. Tap "Next" in blue near the top.

For "Server" put in:

m.google.com

Tap "Next" in blue near the top again.

There should be 3 toggles. One for contact, one for calendars, and one for mail. Just do the mail one for now. Tap "Done" near the top and you should be set.

It takes a bit of time for all your emails to download. So give it a few minutes.

There are also additional settings in the mail account settings that you can set to customize your mailbox. Since Exchange uses folders, you can select the folders you want Google Sync to synchronize. In Gmail, you can create folders by using labels, each label you create shows up as a folder on your iPhone. You can also select how far back you want to sync the emails. I use 2 weeks, but that's up to you. Also in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars, settings, you should set the push option. Tap "Fetch New Data." On top, you should see the toggle for "Push," set it to the "On" position. Using email push WILL negatively affect battery life. How much it reduces battery life and whether it's tolerable for you depends on your usage.

Here's a link to a step by step guide with pictures:

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-15-10 at 03:14 PM.
    08-15-10 03:07 PM
    Thanks for all your help/info Roo . .
    08-15-10 03:18 PM
    I've found the batt do not be as good as my BB 9700. It's kind of a bummer but I do play a lot more games on the iPhone.
    You do realize this is part of the reason it's not as good?

You're using it more and playing more graphic intensive
    games on a larger screen, that's more than likely on
    a brightness that is higher.
    08-16-10 01:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD