Is iMessage an app or is it omly on iOS5?

The reason I ask, I may get my wife and I a iPhone and we drop out text messaging.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-11 12:32 AM
    I believe iMessage is a feature of iOS 5. It only works exclusively with people who also have an iPhone. So if you text with someone who has a BlackBerry, I think you'd have to use regular text message, not iMessage.
    10-08-11 08:52 AM
    I think it works with all Apple devices, though (iPhone, Mac and iPad).
    10-08-11 09:57 AM
    iMessage is part of the messaging app. The messaging app connects to Apples servers and automatically realizes if the person you are sending a message to is on an iOS 5 device. If they are, the message is converted into an iMessage. Same format as an SMS/MMS, just different colors letting you know it's an iMessage and not a normal text. iMessage is also full encrypted like BBM messages.

I do not suggest getting rid of SMS plans. If you have a poor data connection and the iMessage can't go through, it reverts to a SMS and sends it that way. It happened to me in early beta, but hasn't happened since.

iMessage is only available on device running iOS 5. iMessage requires an Apple ID. You can iMessage someone's phone number, or their email address.
    moiselles likes this.
    10-08-11 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD